PDA

View Full Version : walk-behind slides/ problem with

kmeforou
01-22-2004, 09:32 PM
I see that a lot of people like these alot. I had one and sold it for about half of what I paid for it. I had a problem with my Toro's front wheels comming off the ground when I started up a slight slope. This was on the 37 walk-behind. I was weighing arround 225 at that time. Was there something I was doing wrong? I am planning on purchasing a two-wheel velki, unless the slide will do . I do not know if weights were supposed to be with unit or they were designed strictly for lighter people. Any feedback you can give me will be appreciated. Thank you.

packerbacker
01-22-2004, 09:34 PM
the 36 i have always pops up going up-hill, there just isnt enough wieght to keep them down, the only way i solved was to go side to side instead of vertically in the hills

steve in Pa.
01-22-2004, 09:38 PM
first of all your walk behind is not big enough for a sulky. our 48" exmark front comes up when going up a hill. I really don't think any kind of sulky will work with that mower. especialy going up hills.

ElephantNest
01-22-2004, 10:38 PM
2 wheeled velkie works great for me.

mtdman
01-22-2004, 11:55 PM
Any suggestions on adding weight to the front end of the wb to keep it down?

packerbacker
01-23-2004, 12:04 AM
Any suggestions on adding weight to the front end of the wb to keep it down?

Find some way to weld some aerator weights to the front of it

TJLC
01-23-2004, 07:24 AM
I have the weight kit from Exmark on both of my 48" TTHP's. It really helps to keep the front end down. I am currently running a Proslide. The only problem I have found so far is, you really can't back up with a slide, but I'm starting to adjust to that. Good luck.

Shuter
01-23-2004, 07:41 AM
I have a 36" Toro with a two wheel Velke. I have never had any problems with the front coming of the ground.

MOW ED
01-23-2004, 08:53 AM
Here is a suggestion for adding weight to the front end to keep it down. Its a 35lb piece of lead on a flat bar. it really helps. BTW I do have a Pro-Slide attatched to this unit and it works great.

ElephantNest
01-23-2004, 09:28 AM
I would never give up the ability to back up/agility of the two wheeled kind. Never. On and off the trailer in 5 seconds, back up full speed whenever needed, love the way if follows the mower, man....just too many good things to ever think of using something else.

lawnMaster5000
01-23-2004, 11:07 AM
get a two wheel and not a slide. I have tried but still do not see any advantage of the slide. The wheeled versions however i can see many, some of which were mentioned by Elephant Nest.

slide = great friction
roll = far far less friction

dishboy
01-23-2004, 12:04 PM
Do you guys have any problem breaking sprinkler heads with the slides?

sildoc
01-23-2004, 12:30 PM
Weight on the frount of mower. I have recently attached my trimmer to my mower so that i have it there with me where I am at. I found that the little extra weight of the power head lifts the frount up when I stand on the proslide and go up hill.
Solution! I Wraped some fishing lead for a temp and am waiting the 35 pound weight set to come in. should work nice since I only have about 5-8 pounds of fishing weight on it now.
Although now all I have to do is switch out the trimmer for a fish rod on one of my yards and I can troll as I mow. (guess I need to pay attention when I do this so I am not to get wet my self. )

sildoc
01-23-2004, 12:32 PM
Also the proslide also comes with adjustments on how you mount the mounting hardware. If you have it on the lower or middle bolt holes you can always go to the upper bolt holes and have it that much closer to the ground.

FrankenScagMachines
01-23-2004, 03:25 PM
the advantage to the Proslide is you can setep off and instantly make your walk behind, into a walk behind. Don't have to take off a sulky. It just folds up. Also it stripes the lawn. And never has a flat tire.
If you don't have places that need walked and don't care about strong stripes, the ProSlide may not be for you.

Roger
01-23-2004, 03:27 PM
I attempted to use a ProSlide on my 36" Exmark Viking. The machine is too small for the slider -- Proslide controlled the machine, rather than the machine controlling the slider.

I now use a BullRider. Do a search with my name and BullRider and you can review my experiences.

bastalker
01-23-2004, 06:59 PM
Well at 225, I dont dought the front end was in the air with the 37". Now if ya get a proslide, your gonna have even more wheelies. Just that much more friction....

Ya definately need wheels under ya...Makes the 37" pull alittle easier.

Ya know, the bigger mower you get, the less them front wheels will come off the ground.....

Just make sure yer gettin pulled around on 2 wheels...

sildoc
01-23-2004, 08:14 PM
They work well for babysitting also.
Oh by the way no wheelies when he drives. Although he only weighs 37 pounds.

brucec32
01-25-2004, 10:28 PM
I'm torn between a bullrider type 2 wheel sulky and a pro-slide. The negative I have with a big 2 wheel unit is that when I want to step off and walk in wet or awkward areas there's a lot of metal there. The proslide retracts up out of the way, but it may not be controllable on a 36" wb. The new gravely 36" prosteer hydro has big wheels/tires and is said to have a heavy front end, so it might handle it. I plan to go demo one as soon as I can arrange it.