PDA

View Full Version : Flat Proof/Foam Filled Tires

mowinmoney
01-23-2004, 12:46 AM
I did a search on this topic and found 5 threads from 2000. Wanted to see if anyone is using these.
If you are, what's your experience.

All four tires?
What type of filler is best for ZTR's and WB

we are Tired of fixing flats and need to know if there is extra weight with the foam filled.

thanks

kels
01-23-2004, 08:54 AM
my hustler was shipped (and is in the manual) with slime in all four tires, no flat or lose of air since June of 2003, I am going to put slime in my walker this year.

Kelly & Sons
01-23-2004, 08:59 AM
I also have the slime in my tires... Haven't had any flats since... stay away from "fix-a-flat" and similar products...

rodfather
01-23-2004, 09:15 AM
We only foam fill the front tires of our WB's and Z's. I was told by my dealer it's not a good idea to foam fill at the tires cause it will cause the ride of the machine to be too rough.

65hoss
01-23-2004, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by rodfather
We only foam fill the front tires of our WB's and Z's. I was told by my dealer it's not a good idea to foam fill at the tires cause it will cause the ride of the machine to be too rough.
I agree, I will also add, if you can adjust the air pressure in back tires you can handle slopes better when needed.

J&R
01-23-2004, 09:29 AM
You can damage the hydo system. Running foam filled rear tires on riders.

dishboy
01-23-2004, 11:14 AM
When you say foam are you saying 8 oz of slime?

pjslawncare/landscap
01-23-2004, 11:19 AM
Hey guys, exactly what is this foam stuff you are talking about. Is it applied with aerisol cans or what? Also has anyone tried those "eliminator" airless tires for your fronts

J&R
01-23-2004, 11:41 AM
The form fills the tire full them starts to harded. the weight of a form filled rear tire on a exmark Z would be around 100 pounds.

DFW Area Landscaper
01-23-2004, 12:00 PM
I got a flat on my Ferris 32 WB last summer on the left front. I took it into the dealer and they convinced me to buy the foam tires. These aren't foam filled tires...they're solid foam. There is no valve stem. So far, no problems.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

Moguy
01-23-2004, 01:36 PM
Foam filled in the front tires only on my Z.

PLI1
01-23-2004, 05:06 PM
Foam tires on front of my machines only.

Jimbo
01-23-2004, 05:20 PM
I was debating this last year and I decided on the using sealant instead of investing in Foam filled tires (which normally means buying complete tire/rim assembly).

I bought mine from J-Thomas its called Jackal tire sealant. I have not had any leaks or problems, and it was inexpensive.

Jimbo

Lbilawncare
01-23-2004, 08:05 PM
Foam Filled tires SUCK ! We "thought" we'd try them out on two of our mowers- front Dixie Chopper. Two lasted about a month in and a half before the foam started to liquify and squeeze out of the rim. The other two wore the rubber completely off in the center a few weeks after that and we continued to use them because I wanted to "feel" like I got my moneys worth. We later tried to cut the foam out to at least use the rim, it was a mess and we only salvaged one rim. I would HIGHLY recommend using Slime, it is a great product and seals well, also have a plug kit handy for larger holes to fix on site. The foam filled tires were also very heavy.

BCM
01-23-2004, 10:34 PM
so that slime stuff is NOT the foam filling right?

zturncutter
01-23-2004, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by BCM
so that slime stuff is NOT the foam filling right? Slime is a liquid sealant and it works well while still allowing the benifits of air filled tires. We tried the foam on the front tires of two different machines and we all hated it. The tires flip back and forth on hard surfaces and wear very rapidly and the ride stinks.:cry:

grass_cuttin_fool
01-23-2004, 11:48 PM
I was thinking of getting an elimantor tire for my velke, has anyone tried them?????

Mark P
01-24-2004, 12:12 AM
:) Slime in the fronts, I agree with Hoss need the air pressure adjustments in back, and running with slime in the rear tires could cause motor wheel problems.....i always carry a few bottles of slime in the toolbox......Marks Mowing Service

Critical Care
01-25-2004, 03:24 PM
A funny story... When I was working for another guy one of the front foam tires on our Woods rider kept coming off of the rim one day. There was still a valve stem on the rim and the owner kept insisting on filling it with air. We kept telling him it was solid filled, but he refused to believe it and even had us go to a tire shop in town to have them fix the flat and remount the tire. Ha! What a joke that that we had to go through the whole stupid routine! I can tell you more stories about this guy... heh heh.

Mowmoney00
01-25-2004, 05:03 PM
We used foam filled tires on the front casters only, because of the added weight it would bring to the back tires-we elected not to do that. IT WAS HORRIBLE! We cut them off about 2 months later. The problems we were having was; rought riding, hitting bumps alot harder, and sometimes making bad cuffs marks in the turf on our turns.

I'm with the other guys, i'd stick with the slime.

ojonesy
01-26-2004, 09:39 AM
RE: foam fill. As you can see by the posts, opinions are all over the place. Keep in mind, there are many different durometers (softness) of fill. The ONLY product that you should allow in your tires is a product called SuperFlex SoftFill made by a company called Arnco. It is 8 durometer which is the softest on the market. If your dealer is pumping anything else, you will experience these problems. You can also tell the dealer what psi you want the fill to be.
NOTE: there is a new product entering the market made by Carlisle Tire called Reliance Flat Proof Tires - all rubber with a hollow cavity. 100% flatproof and lightweight - the best of both worlds! Now available in most front caster sizes on 4" rims up to 6" rims. You will see many of the major commercial mower manufacturers changing to this product this year. If you want more info you can email me.

sgreanbean
01-26-2004, 10:40 AM
we used foam in our fronts and on our velke, never had a problem, its super heavy though, we foam filled the front of my tractor (ford 540b) and i could barley mount them on the machine!

Meg-Mo
01-26-2004, 10:40 AM
Check out www.amerityre.com. We ordered some of these tires and are impressed with them so far. They are a solid tire. These tires hold more weight, never go flat, don't crack or sun rot and are not deteriorated by chemicals. In addition, mud doesn't stick to them as much as with a rubber tire, they don't absorb water and they outwear rubber tires 2 to 1. They are also reasonably priced. Check it out, you'll be impressed.

Team Gopher
01-26-2004, 01:29 PM
Hi Meg-Mo,

Interesting find! Here is a pic from their site explaining the tire design.

http://www.amerityre.com/images/ben2.gif