PDA

View Full Version : Border Grass

T Edwards
01-23-2004, 06:18 PM
For several seasons I have mowed back border grass any time from late Jan. thru early March, and I have never noticed a difference in the quality of the new growth that pops up in April. Do any of you guys in the southeast have any reasons for trimming it back at a certain time?

ElephantNest
01-23-2004, 06:24 PM
I trim my mondo/liriope/aztek any time it gets too big. If I can use it elsewhere, I'll split it up and transplant some. If not, I use the trusty shindaiwa.

NCSULandscaper
01-23-2004, 06:55 PM
I trim it back for the main reason to get new fresh grass blades back in spring. The old blades seem to get sun scorched, spotted, or just too long. Personally i think it looks bad when trimmed back in mid season, the tips become brown and stay squared up, not a good look. Cut back every year and its managable all year long, no need to trim.

ElephantNest
01-23-2004, 08:12 PM
Grows too fast around here to only trim it once a year.

packerbacker
01-23-2004, 08:41 PM
I cut all my growth back in early to mid march, any earlier would harm it with frost

lt22davis
04-10-2008, 01:38 AM
I just cut my border grass with the lawn mower a couple times a year to help it thicken up. I just planted my border grass last spring and there are still some gaps but I was told told to cut it back with the lawn mower and it comes back thicker, and so far this year it's twice as thick as it was last year.

jaybird24
04-10-2008, 02:01 AM
I thought you were talking about some other type of grass coming across the border. Oh well. lol