PDA

View Full Version : Using a Honda Civic to tow

GTLC
01-23-2004, 06:30 PM
Your opinion on using a Honda Civic to tow a 5x10 wood trailer, with 44" ZTR, and maybe a few other mowers around a 48" deck size,a in the fall a leaf box full of leaves 5x10x10 or so.

Please give a reason for your vote

WeatherMan
01-23-2004, 06:34 PM
I think you would be better off trading the honda in for a truck. my 2 cents

GTLC
01-23-2004, 06:35 PM
***First selection says "OK to do, perfectly normal, nothing bad should happen"

-Thanks for voting!

mdb landscaping
01-23-2004, 06:35 PM
havent we covered this already in your other thread? trade for a truck.:rolleyes:

NCSULandscaper
01-23-2004, 06:36 PM
is this a joke?

GTLC
01-23-2004, 06:37 PM
Yes, we have, but I am gathering support on why a truck is necessary.

Thanks

GTLC
01-23-2004, 06:38 PM
NO joke, sorry.

Creative Lawn Care
01-23-2004, 06:47 PM
Dont think this is gonna work. Cars, especially small ones, arent made for towing. it wont hold up over time. Besides that it wont look professional. I understand doing what you have to starting out. But go buy a cheap used truck, even a beat up one would look better and serve your purpose better than a civic in my opinion

DennisF
01-23-2004, 06:50 PM
I wasn't even aware that there is a trailer hitch available for a Honda Civic. You need to check the owners manual very carefully and see what is advisable on trailer towing with that car. Honda Accord ... maybe. I would not attempt it with a Civic.

bastalker
01-23-2004, 06:54 PM
No problem n1 .......tow till she dies, then get a truck....

GTLC
01-23-2004, 07:00 PM
The Owners Manual states "Towing is not recommended" I believe.

NCSULandscaper
01-23-2004, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by n1alx

If thats what it says then why would you even consider doing it?

Get the right equipment for the job.

BigEd
01-23-2004, 07:07 PM

Answered your own question there! Just take some of your back allowance and buy a truck.:rolleyes:

grillonz
01-23-2004, 07:10 PM
Just check that you don't exceed the towing rating for your tow vehicle. Here in NZ the use of small passenger cars is common. I started out towing a 6x4 trailer behind a Mazda (1300cc motor). Worked OK until I got established. Only problem That I ran into was that the rear brakes did more work & the drums would fill with dust. This meant a cleanout before taking the vehicle for a WOF (Govt safety inspection). If I did'nt it would fail on unbalanced brakes.

65hoss
01-23-2004, 07:14 PM
Let me get this straight. You can afford to by a ZTR but you can't get a truck? Hell, the ZTR will pull the car better than the car will pull the trailer. haha.

Take 1/2 the money for the Z, sell the car, buy a truck. Then use the other 1/2 to buy a w/b. That would get you started the right way.

LawnMower
01-23-2004, 07:20 PM
If thats all you have right now. If thats all you can afford right now, then tow with it. Be very careful not to break the car. It may not be heavy duty enough to tow a trailer.

However you have to start somewhere.

bastalker
01-23-2004, 07:30 PM
Cmon n1, who you tryin to fool??

Comon sense? Hello, are you there? You have posted 307 times in 6 months, and you have to ask if a civic can tow a trailer with landscapin equipment on it?

C'mon you can start a better thread than that...

bigshoe
01-23-2004, 07:41 PM
I think that pretty much sums it up !

jajwrigh
01-23-2004, 07:49 PM
Do we need a forum called, "Waste of time?"

Why even bother? You might as well pull the trailer yourself!

TURF DOCTOR
01-23-2004, 07:53 PM
Go for it sounds good.

yardsurfer
01-23-2004, 07:58 PM
I definately wouldn't do it.

1. Civics were not made for towing as stated in your owners manual.

2. People would maybe laugh at you and think you don't know what your doing and maybe not call you.

3. What if your transmission or engines fails and you end up having to do 1,500+$'s worth of repairs, that aren't covered in any of your warranty's if you have any.

Just save yourself future troubles and get a truck.

Kinda like my old boss we would tell him equipment is about to crap out and he wouldn't listen then a month later when somthing major screwed up and he started B*tchin about how much it cost to fix when it would've cost less if he would've fixed it when we said somthing.

ElephantNest
01-23-2004, 08:11 PM
All the pros I know use compact cars. Go for it! Trucks are over-rated.

captaingreen
01-23-2004, 08:56 PM
I cracked up one day when I seen a Lincoln town car pull over a few houses up the street. Behind it was a trailer with a Z on it and a wb. Two guys hopped out mowed about 5,000 sq. and were gone in probably 10 min. I think a truck, even a junky one, fits our line of work a little better, just my opinion.

GTLC
01-23-2004, 09:10 PM
well, all of these statements are support for convincing arguments to parents why a truck is necessary. Thanks

Turf Medic
01-23-2004, 09:38 PM
Maybe you could get that dude on Monster Garage to give the old civic a make over:D It should have as much power as the ZTR and small enough to fit on the trailer, so if it breaks down you could at least limp home with the mower pulling the car:cool:

Expert Lawns
01-23-2004, 10:00 PM
I see old people driving their 350 FT Cadillacs with a boat or rv on the back all the time.

My thoughts are that if it is safe, then go for it. You have to earn a living. You have to start somewhere. If it does not put you or the rest of society in any potential harm, then do it.

pjslawncare/landscap
01-23-2004, 10:09 PM
***First selection says "OK to do, perfectly normal, nothing bad should happen"

-Thanks for voting!
Im looking for the selection "sober up dude and get a truck"

Barkleymut
01-23-2004, 10:21 PM
Ask the parents how they would feel if you plowed over 10 kids at a bus stop because the civic doesn't have any braking power. They could even be liable.

mower_babe
01-23-2004, 10:22 PM
Using a car for towing??? Now, you are going to tell me that you keep mowing through your extension cords and asking which wisk broom is the best! C'mon, bud, back away from the scrubmobile and no one will get hurt.:p

JB1
01-23-2004, 10:34 PM
I think a volkswagon bug would be a better choice,

Olylawnboy
01-23-2004, 10:41 PM
Are you asking, could it be done? and be reliable? Here's something I did in the past. I fed cows for the small hobby ranchers in my Area. When they needed to be in town for the whole day, vacation, or off for a weekend kind of thing. I towed a 5x8 flatbed trailer with a Datsun 510, a 4 speed stick. At the time I knew I could compete with the Big Boys:) I had to pull 12-15 hundred lbs. to some of the places and I worked the stuff out of the little car. And a time or two it was plain scary to drive!
I had to replace the brake shoes, and remember if you let things go too long you have to replace the drums. I had to replace the clutch, and I waited till it was pretty bad. I had to replace the trany, a real fun job! I had to replace the rear shocks, I put extra weight on the toung to get traction in the snow. Another thing, but it's not really the same these days, is I had to replace the U-joints on the driveline. The motor however did great, I kept it tuned, uesd good gas, changed the oil often! Did after all this, did I make some mony? You bet. but really not much extra. I did buy a old 4wd ford for the second year (didn't need the trailer anymore and could cary a ton or more, more eficient!) and replaced the breaks and clutch on it. The third year I made money that I could spend, after costs and repairs= profit. So, could you do it, heck yes. Could you do it with todays small cars and with todays laws and such? I dought it, but be a kid and go for it:) or, Listen what hoss said, that makes the most sense.....Just because you can, doesn't mean you should!

SUPERIOR Lawn Design
01-24-2004, 12:29 AM
First of all, I am aware that some cars can pull trailers, but you don't own one of them. A V6 or V8 rear wheel drive full frame car like a Ford, Dodge or Chevy will look weird, but will get you by if you have no choice... Honda dosen't make anything that I would pull a trailer with, not to mention your car is front wheel drive! Think about what would happen if you ignored the 98% that disagree with you, hooked the trailer up anyway, and you break the car or even worse, wreck it? How will you handle your obligations (customers) with no vehicle at all? And you are sure to lose money! Just my 5 cents...

Soupy
01-24-2004, 02:19 AM
Why do you guys even respond to these 16 year olds? I'll tell you what we need, we need a "I'm 16, and I am a pretend Business owner, I'm glad my parents and customers don't realize the big law suit they could find their-self in" forum.

I can't take it anymore, I'm running for president and putting a stop to this. Na, I would lose for sure, I would lose all the 16 year old votes. Oh wait, They can't vote, because they are NOT OLD ENOUGH!!!!

BigEd
01-24-2004, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by Soupy
Why do you guys even respond to these 16 year olds? I'll tell you what we need, we need a "I'm 16, and I am a pretend Business owner, I'm glad my parents and customers don't realize the big law suit they could find their-self in" forum.

I can't take it anymore, I'm running for president and putting a stop to this. Na, I would lose for sure, I would lose all the 16 year old votes. Oh wait, They can't vote, because they are NOT OLD ENOUGH!!!!

Soupy,

You forgot that his dads a lawyer!LOL

capmaint
01-24-2004, 02:50 AM
I could be wrong here but I think he just used you all to convince Daddy to buy him a truck......

Soupy
01-24-2004, 03:09 AM
Then he should know better....How's he going to explain that one to the judge?

Maybe the law is different were he lives. I just thought all labor laws were federal law.

I also thought that it was a federal law that children can't be legally bind by any contract, verbal or written. When you are hired to cut a lawn, you are verbally agreeing to the job.

I'm sorry guys, I just can't stand watching this industry go to hell.

Soupy

Soupy
01-24-2004, 03:14 AM
n1alx, I'm sorry to you too. I know you mean well. I just think kids your age should be working at McDonald's. Does daddy really want you to grow up to be a grass cutter?

Johnny
01-24-2004, 05:14 AM
Make sure you take some pictures for our amusement!!

BigEd
01-24-2004, 05:16 AM
Yeah take pics will post it along with this one:

yz250fpilot
01-24-2004, 09:40 AM
I used to tow two SeaDoos on a double trailer behind a Honda CRX. I even took quite a few long distance trips with them attached. I had no problems for the few years I did it.

GTLC
01-24-2004, 09:53 AM
I don't do any contacts yet. I am 100% residential

Sauls1686
01-24-2004, 09:57 AM
I have a nice 1991 Grand marquis that can tow great and ill let it go for $500!!!!!!

Seriously I am saving up for a an SUV, preferrebly a Toyota 4Runner. Ill still be able to haul people (haha) and tow my
little trailer and they look decent, and it will b cheaper than
a truck AND a car.

Lawn Dog2001
01-24-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by 65hoss

Take 1/2 the money for the Z, sell the car, buy a truck. Then use the other 1/2 to buy a w/b. That would get you started the right way.

That sums it all up right there. Im sure you can get a reliable older truck for the money you get for selling that Honda.

Lawn Dog2001
01-24-2004, 10:05 AM
Big ED

Where do you get that photo? Tell me thats not real!:eek: :eek:

dishboy
01-24-2004, 10:11 AM
Whew! I am so relieved, when I saw the post about gathering support for trading vehicles I thought you were trying to convince your wife not parents. Good luck, if your anything like my kids you'll get your truck, I always cave to persistant whining.

GTLC
01-24-2004, 10:14 AM
Daddy wants me to have a job I like that would suit me best. He doesn't want me to be a lawyer or doctor or any CEO or something, he wants me to do what I want. I am interested in a career in firefighting and/or landscaping/ lawncare, as an owner of course. Thanks

ElephantNest
01-24-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Soupy
n1alx, I'm sorry to you too. I know you mean well. I just think kids your age should be working at McDonald's. Does daddy really want you to grow up to be a grass cutter?

Uh...it's called assertiveness. Sure, work at McD's. I did, for 4.5 hours. How in the world can you bash a teenager for WORKING? You need to look around and see what's happening in this world. A 16 year old cutting grass? Ok, get pissed at me for this, but we CUT GRASS. It's not surgery. I was cutting grass, and getting paid for it at 13 years old. Had my own customers at 14. My buddy started a lawn care service at 14, worked his butt off, and paid his way through LSU. Would you rather see these kids on a street corner, selling drugs? Or robbing houses or car jacking?

I think you need to get off of your high horse and be thankful that this guy has the drive to work for himself, or to work at all. Also, he is wise enough to pose his questions here so he can show his dad what the "Professionals" ( I use that term lightly) use, and what the pros think is the SAFEST and SMARTEST thing to do.

Sure, he needs a truck. But he can work without one. I worked out of the back of a Caddlilac for over a year. Scrub? Hell yes. Selling drugs and robbing homes? No chance.

~Nest

Sauls1686
01-24-2004, 11:12 AM
Thank U Enest, I wanted 2 say that but figured I would get blown off!!

Soupy
01-24-2004, 12:43 PM
ElephantNest, I agree that it is great he wants to work. That is why, I said that I know he meens well. I would never knock a kid for wanting to work. There are plenty of jobs available to a 16 year old.

I'm sorry, You don't think our industry deserves to be seen as proffesionals.

BigEd
01-24-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Lawn Dog2001
Big ED

Where do you get that photo? Tell me thats not real!:eek: :eek:

Yes its real, heres the story:
http://www.nmsu.edu/~safety/news/auto-safety-overloaded-car1.htm

Five Diamond Lawns
01-24-2004, 01:02 PM
I lost a job last year because the client said I was charging to much.
Was in the area the next week and say my replacement

25 year old primer black Datsun pickup. Lift kit with large off road tires. Here's the best part:rolleyes: :rolleyes: It had no front windshield and when I saw it drive away the driver was wearing ski goggles:D :D :D

Close your eyes and picture that:rolleyes: I promise it's true.

That's the type of impression you will be leaving behind:blush: :blush:

ElephantNest
01-24-2004, 01:08 PM
"I'm sorry, You don't think our industry deserves to be seen as proffesionals."

lol I never said that. If you read my first post, I sarcasticly said he needed a truck. But if he can't get one, I don't think he should give up OR go to work at McDonalds. Pull it with a mule if you have to, save up, get a truck.

Lux Lawn
01-24-2004, 04:41 PM
Sounds like he should be called civic scapes

iowa
01-24-2004, 07:35 PM
If you do this make sure you get pictures so I can laugh at them every single day I wake up.

You need a truck buddy.

capescaper
01-24-2004, 08:25 PM
yeah thats what i want pulling up to my house every week

DennisF
01-24-2004, 09:51 PM
ElephantNest has it right. This young individual is way ahead of his peers in his thinking. He wants to start a business of his own and is looking at every angle to get it done. I admire him for that and everyone on this forum should too. He's young and has a lot to learn, but I'll bet that in 5 years some of us will be asking for advice from him.

You hang in there N1. Set your goals high and don't look back.

mower_babe
01-24-2004, 10:37 PM
So, am I to understand that we are encouraging him to sacrifice safety to make a buck? Did I get that right?

fga
01-24-2004, 10:53 PM
My 1980 Malibu used to tow a 16' foot race car trailer, with a chevelle tucked inside, no problem. But a civic..... I've watched MOnster Garage enough to know that anything is possible.

qualitylandscaping
01-24-2004, 11:02 PM
My vote is no.. You could probably get away with it if the mower didn't weigh 1/2 as much as the car!! You will notice serious problems with brakes, transmission, and engine after a very short amount of time. What really matters for towing, is torque, and cars don't have much :/

well, all of these statements are support for convincing arguments to parents why a truck is necessary. Thanks

Another reason for getting a truck, is the insurance rates are sometimes cheaper because you are less likely to get "seriously" injured in an accident. Although, sometimes you are also more likely to seriously injure someone else, so it goes both ways...

DennisF
01-25-2004, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by mower_babe
So, am I to understand that we are encouraging him to sacrifice safety to make a buck? Did I get that right?

No one is encouraging sacrificing safety. In an earlier reply I along with a number of other members discouraged the idea of towing with the vehicle. I think he now realizes that attempting to do so would not be in his best interest. Unfortunately, some members have chosen to respond with snide remarks and sarcastic cinisism. These kinds of responses only serve to discourage young individuals from following their dreams. I and one or two other members have chosen to encourage this individual to keep plugging and not give up on his quest to start a lawn care business. Had you taken the time to read some of the earlier replies....

mower_babe
01-25-2004, 01:03 AM
Of course I read all of the replies, I was one of them. But, then again, if we have threads about the need for insurance and tying down equipment, then I should expect an even younger member to ask this question. I just find it incredible. I apologize for having common sense. :) I will bow out now.

Lawn Specialties
01-25-2004, 03:22 AM
Just for the record I have a 99 monte carlo with a 3.1 ltr v-6.(alot more car than a civic)I looked up towing in the owners manual and it gave a max tow capacity of 500 lbs which basically means it shouldn't pull anything.
By the way I have a 5x10 trailer loaded with 44" wb a 21" mower and grass catcher,trimmer, edger,blower etc.I pull it with a 1/2 ton 4x4 GMC. This trailer is well within the towing capacity of the truck. the truck pulls it without effort but when you have to mash on the brakes you realize how much weight you are bringing to a stop. When it will push a 4500 pound truck around think what it will do with a civic. And just think with a Z on it your trailer will be heavier than mine.

DennisF
01-25-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by mower_babe
Of course I read all of the replies, I was one of them. But, then again, if we have threads about the need for insurance and tying down equipment, then I should expect an even younger member to ask this question. I just find it incredible. I apologize for having common sense. :) I will bow out now.

I apologize if my remarks were offensive. It was not my intent to offend anyone.

I felt that the young individual was being unfairly battered for asking what seems to be a dumb question to some individuals. If more people would take the time to simply explain to younger people the reasons for their replies, these types of questions would not be asked in the first place. JMO.

1PRO
01-25-2004, 12:51 PM
:sleeping:i think the who ever should go back to bed in stead of pulling a trailor,or you could stay on one property all day that would be kewl.

gramps
01-25-2004, 01:17 PM
I use a Metro pull 14 ft. fully loaded. Great with a tail wind.

Albemarle Lawn
01-25-2004, 01:39 PM
Why waste money & insurance on a car, just put a trailer ball on a goped.

Those gopeds have a lot of power now days!

jrc lawncare
01-25-2004, 08:06 PM

I Would say that pretty well sums it up. Small car like that will never last towing that much weight on a regular basis.:nono:

willretire@40
09-24-2005, 12:25 PM
lol lol lol lol :p :dizzy: :dizzy: :p

Dirty Water
09-24-2005, 02:21 PM
Transaxles are expensive.
Brakes are too small.
a 1.5 Litre engine is too small.

a a green
09-24-2005, 04:19 PM
ahhh what the hell hook er on up there. just make sure your using the good rope...lol... ;)

surfisher211
09-24-2005, 05:40 PM
lol or u could trade the civic in for an older WV beetle :waving:

stumper1620
09-24-2005, 09:19 PM
this thread is a year and a half old! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: who resurrected it? :confused: and why?? :confused: :nono: