PDA

View Full Version : Opinion's Please

NEWINNJ
01-24-2004, 07:19 AM
I've been cutting 10 lawns part time with a 21" and am looking for a bigger mower. How's this? [URL=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50377&item=2371283162] ]

FrankenScagMachines
01-24-2004, 07:48 AM
It would be great for you, but how far away is it? By the time you make the trip out there or pay freight on it, you'll have the same cost in it as a new one at your local dealer. Plus, can you get the warranty work done at a local dealer or not? Do you have a local Gravely dealer or will you have to drive an hour or more for parts? Just something to think about. Looks like it would be $2450 after shipping to your house. I am sure you could find a new 32 or 36" belt drive of any brand for that price. I could get a 36" eXmark for that and my eXmark dealer is 4 minutes away.

NEWINNJ
01-24-2004, 07:55 AM
Thanks. Just shopping around and trying get ballpark prices and opinions so I don't get ripped off too bad. I've been doing lawns part time for about 5 years with a 21" snapper and want to get a bigger WB. Don't know too much about them but have learned a great deal on this forum. Got laid off from office job after 20 years and seriously thinking about going fulltime. I really appreciate your response. Thanks again.

FrankenScagMachines
01-24-2004, 08:02 AM
Yeah no problem. Like I said, a new 32" or 36" with warranty at a local dealer should be $2500 or less. Then your warranty work and parts are right down the road. Dealer will also treat you better than if you bought a mower elsewhere then expect them to do the warranty or get your parts in a hurry, etc. I so often read of guy saying to get a 36' not a 32". It is a good bit wider and you can keep the Snapper if there's anyplace a 36' will not fit. If your lawns have gates, measure them and see how wide of a mower you can use. 32" mower needs about 33-34" opening I think and 36' needs about 36 or 37" opening. If you can fit it, a 48" would be a major step up also and it doesn't cost much more than a 36". Then keep the 21" for small spots or gates.
Good luck, have a great year.

DennisF
01-24-2004, 08:10 AM
Take a look at Scag Belt drives. They are a very tough and well built mower. Nearly indestructable and priced close to that gravely. Not knocking Gravely, just suggesting. I have a Scag 48 belt and it's a great piece of equipment.

GTLC
01-24-2004, 09:04 AM
get a 48" walk-behind gear drive

FFMED74
01-24-2004, 10:32 AM
When I started last year I got a 48" Landscaper Supply WB and had it shipped to Indiana, bought extra blades, a two wheeled surrey and some odds and ends and it was right at $2700 with shipping included. It is a belt drive, 15hp Kohler engine and has done a great job for me. My idea was to start with a descent machine and then after things got going I'd buy a "better" machine, but after I have had this mower, I am very happy with it and it was the best choice for me, lower overheadr/startup cost and a functional machine. You can see those WB on the www.landscappersupply.com site Dont go with their package deals, with blower and trimmer, you can get a better deal on the other two iyems in your own area IMO.

gogetter
01-24-2004, 01:19 PM
For just starting out and being part time, I'd suggest the Bradley 32" walk behind. $1500.
You'll have to search around to find them, but I have seen them on ebay.

With that said, I will add that if you plan to grow and add more customers, you might want to look for something from a local dealer so they can take care of any problems you might have in a hurry.

Sauls1686
01-24-2004, 01:39 PM
I agree with Dennis F.

Check out the Scag Gear Drives. I got a left over 48" 15 Kawi demo model for $2332 w/tax and a toro rear engine rider trade. I could have driven a harder bargain, but I am happy with the mower.

If you have never used anything large than a 21" it will take some getting used to. When I 1st got the scag I was kinda ticked cause I wasnt saving that much time.

But then again it took me forever to turn it around without tearing turf, I didnt get as close to stuff, and I mowed slowly.

I still dont have that many hours using it but I am a lot better now! Watch out for your customers tho! The cut is cleaner than a 21", but they will complain.....

"I like the way the little mower does it................."

mowinmoney
01-25-2004, 11:05 PM
No matter what you do get something more efficient. It will pay for itself and some

impactlandscaping
01-26-2004, 08:10 AM
The cub cadet he has for 2400.00 would be a better choice for a start up mower than a 32" gravely.For the same money as gravely you can get a 52" deck w/ 17HP kawi!Personally, I would buy locally to ensure dealer service and loyalty.Buy the best you can afford to buy the first time, and good luck and have a great year.