PDA

View Full Version : curved end for Echo 650 b/p?

GarPA
01-24-2004, 09:10 AM
we use the echo 650 b/p for snow cleaning in tight spots and when the snow is powdery like today. In only an inch or 2 of powder, it tends to want to pack the snow here and there even when letting off the throttle and trying to go more parallel at the snow.
Do they make a curved end that would be parallel to the ground? If so, have you used it and how did it work for you?

thanks

rodfather
01-24-2004, 09:36 AM
They don't Gary, but Stihl 400's uses them. Find a Stihl dealer. I used them on ALL my blowers. It's only like 12 bucks and makes a world of difference.

rodfather
01-24-2004, 09:38 AM
BTW, all you need is a 3 inch automotive hose clamp to attach it. The curved end is especially great for cleaning out leaves from pacysandra, flower beds, etc.

GarPA
01-24-2004, 09:41 AM
thanks ROd...I assume theres no significant more load on the engine or you wouldn't be risking that right?

BSDeality
01-24-2004, 11:34 AM
i asked my dealer about the curved tips for my 750 (same as the 650) and he said that it restricts airflow and can cause the cavitation as well as engine problems after pro-longed use.

Fareway Lawncare
01-24-2004, 12:09 PM
Have you tried a Push Blower on snow?

We use the 750's for steps & landings & the push blowers for drives in Light Powder.

rodfather
01-24-2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by GarPA
thanks ROd...I assume theres no significant more load on the engine or you wouldn't be risking that right?

Gary

There is no restriction of airflow. All you are doing is redirecting the airflow a different way. I've been using curved ends on my bp's for years now with absolutely no engine overload or premature failure in any of our Echo's or Remaxes. BTW, it's the Stihl BR400 that uses them. Go for it...

GarPA
01-24-2004, 02:07 PM
will get one next week Rod...I'll let you know how I like it...and ROd can you say cha cha cha ching?? and more cha ching stuff on mon and tue...man this winter must be taking a toll on property managers budgets...poor babies..

rodfather
01-24-2004, 02:23 PM
man this winter must be taking a toll on property managers budgets...poor babies..

Yea, I feel sorry for all of em Gary...NOT! Only thing I'm sorry about is only adding one plow truck this winter instead of two.

Yep metoo, I'm liking Monday and Tuesday's forecast. Gonna be a double hit and billing I think...and it's still January...CHA-CHING:D

Fareway Lawncare
01-24-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by rodfather
Gary

There is no restriction of airflow. All you are doing is redirecting the airflow a different way.

Not entirely true. By redirecting you are restricting which according to Echo will cause you engine problems over the long haul. This is especially true w/ the new High Output Blowers.

AuburnGuy
01-26-2004, 08:14 AM
You can get a curved end from Mayberrys.com. Scroll down the the 650 and 750 and you will see it.

http://mayberrys.com/echo/blowers/backpack.htm

Fareway Lawncare
01-26-2004, 09:22 AM
Only the 400 series Echo's have the curved end in your link.

AuburnGuy
01-26-2004, 09:31 AM
It is in the section with the 650 and 750. it does not show a picture, but lists the part number and price.

PB-650 - Blow away the biggest jobs in less time with the powerful PB-650 top of the line commercial blower.
- Powerful 63.3 cc commercial grade dual-ring piston engine.
- Available with easy-to-reach tube-mounted or hip-mounted throttle positions.
- Extra large diameter pipes for the ultimate in blowing performance.
- 68 fl oz. see-thru fuel tank capacity for extended run times and easy view fuel supply.
- Commercial-duty air filtration system.

Tube Mount Throttle - PB-650T
Hip Mounted Throtle (Shown) - PB-650H

Curved tip available for PB-650
P/N - 999442-00222 - $8.00

Lifetime Ignition Module Warranty

GarPA
01-26-2004, 03:21 PM
thanks for the link Auburn...

Fareway..just a question
I'm clueless as far as engineering/design stuff as it pertains to equipment so please bear with me on this question.

Lets say we want to blow away a 2 foot pile of wet, packed leaves with the standard stright end tube. In using the 650 to blow light snow, what I;ve noticed is becuase the blast of air is so strong, that it actually packs even light snow...and...it would seem, that the ground/snow pack is actually "pushing back" on the machine, thereby, resticting the flow of air through the unit. This is how most of us use these blowers....we work the guts out of them.
Now we add a curved end...air is flowing parallel with the ground after exiting the tube, thereby less resistance, thus the airflow is less restricted than if were pointed down at the ground.

I suppose the issue may be that the curve in the tube is where the resistance is but it would seem that that curve would not be much more strain than sticking the straight end of the tube near a pile of wet leaves....help me understand the issue... and thanks

rodfather
01-26-2004, 04:26 PM
Now we add a curved end...air is flowing parallel with the ground after exiting the tube, thereby less resistance, thus the airflow is less restricted than if were pointed down at the ground.

You got it Gary...it isn't like you're squeezing the end of the tube either with a smaller sized tube opening. An example of that would be like a kid spraying a friend with a garden hose by holding his thumb partially over the opening and thus creating more of a jet stream of water...this isn't the case though.

The other thing is the curved end is a gentle curve, not a 180 degree or something.

GarPA
01-26-2004, 04:37 PM
hey ROd...so how much of the white stuff tue/wed are they calling for in your area? sounds like a big one right in your neck of the woods....damn filthy rich plowjockey...I'll bet you never even put your toes in the snow do you?...pop in a cd of Bon Joysee, a little java, shirt sleeves, and a pile of money at the end of the day...what a racket...and please dont say it today...I'm tired, cold, and wet...you can't relate to that I'm sure...

rodfather
01-26-2004, 05:34 PM
Close Gary...cd is usually like Sheryl Crow, 3 Doors Down, or Toby Keith, no java, I go the Diet Pepsi route, short sleeve shirt yes, and comfortable Nikes. Toes in the snow? No way Jose.

How much white stuff? Makes no diff to me...the meter will be a runnin' though!

John Gamba
01-27-2004, 06:23 AM
Ive Had a curved end on a 650 for two years now! No problems at all! Great in the snow and leaves!
John

Grass Master
01-27-2004, 01:13 PM
FYI...

There are curved pipes available for the PB-650/ 750 blowers.... ask your dealer for part number ...

Curved tip available for PB-750
P/N - 999442-00222 - $8.00

John Gamba
01-27-2004, 01:37 PM
You can direct the things you are blowing better. Your arm will hurt a little if you use it for the first time for an hour or more.
It kinda pushes backwards on the tube.
John