PDA

View Full Version : Office and staff?????

Five Diamond Lawns
01-24-2004, 12:03 PM
At what size (employee and equipment) did you move the company out of your garage (home based), rent office space and hire a staff person (non mowing)?
How did that affect that first years bottom line?:confused:

sildoc
01-24-2004, 01:21 PM
Unless I needed a tax break and ole cousin joe needed a job for the summer while he is out of school (to straighten the files and such), I don't think I would hire a secretary or employees other than the mowing crews.

Reasoning. YOu can have a shop with all of the equiptment you need to keep everything up to par and have mowing crew keep that clean.
You can get a computer program and onece everthing is entered in (might take a day or two to do this) spits out almost anything you want.
You can have an accoutant (and should) to take care of all the paper work for taxes, fica, workers comp, and such.
That should about take care of everything. A secretary? only if you are having a hard time keeping up on stuff which is a time managment problem any ways and there is always the wife to answer the phone if that is a problem.
I dont think of office space for the landscape and maintenance side of things, Shop with little room full of files and computer and oh ya fridge full of beverages for those late nites, but not a office.

JMO, I don't think there is one where I live around that just has an office except for one that also does contract building of business offices that they include landscaping with.

Turfdude
01-24-2004, 04:03 PM
I guess it all depends on your situation. IMHO as soon as you can afford to - ge your shop away from our home. An office manager/person is essential once you find yourself working way too many hours a day. If you start at 7 AM, work till 5PM, and are on the phone and doing estimates at night till 9 PM, somethings gotta give. I did this far too many years, and the time I lost from my children can't be made up. I now work less in the fiueld, and have my wife return a lot of my calls. My hand is being forced a little into a managerial position, but in the end, it'll be better for me all around.

Lawn-N-Garden Guy
01-25-2004, 11:15 AM
I was in dire need of a new garage so I figured what the he!! Build one that will accomidate stoage ,parking ,shop and office space.

Turfdude
01-25-2004, 12:41 PM
L & G Guy,

That will do you fine for a few years. My home garage was 24X26 - 2 stories 10' down, 8' up. I outgrew it in 5 years. Good luck! If you need larger down the line, there are a lot of pole barn companies in PA & NJ that can accomodate you.
That looks really good BTW. You built a quality garage. Nice design, doesn't look like a slapped together kit. Keep up the good work!

Lux Lawn
01-25-2004, 01:00 PM
Lawn-garden Guy

Looks good I will be having the same problem soon except I can't build a new garage because of the land set up and owning a ranch house.Not sure what I will do if and when it happens.Hopefully you will make so much money it won't matter.

Lawn-N-Garden Guy
01-25-2004, 06:18 PM
Yeah this one is 26x40 and I am planning a 20" addition this summer