PDA

View Full Version : Another one of those please help with bid Threads ! Please help!

Turf Dancer
01-24-2004, 03:38 PM
I am bidding two Wal Mart Super Centers the forst one I have a good idea on but the second one is a big property on the landscape maintenance side of things. Here are the specs.

Turf Area- 61,360 sq. ft. including strips and islands and a large open area that is 19,680 sq ft.

Trimming- 4638 linear ft.

Shrubs and bushes- 301 of various types all small under 30" in height.

Trees- 130 various types

There are around 18 islands that are rock beds with shrubs and trees, some have lawn also.

This contract will include spraying trees for insects and all turf areas, bed areas for weeds.

I am looking for a monthly rate for year round contract. Our mowing season here averages 34 weeks. This will also include trash pick up in rock areas and a enclosed marsh area.
I have heard that they have one bid at $810 oer month.

I am kind of stumped on this bid please help.

There is also another seperate bid on this property for the bark replacement every spring. Here are the details.

Must be 1.5" to 2" deep area to be covered 9746 sq ft. of beds.

The old bark must all be removed and then new bark placed in beds. some of these areas cannot be reached with tractors or powered equipment. about half could be reached with a tractor.

I am thinking dump costs for the old bark about $300 and costs for new bark around $1166 for 53 yards delivered. Tractor rental for 2 days $280 . This is a one time replacement. Please help as I have never done such a large scale bark replacement before that requires equipment and large amounts of labor and product.

DennisF
01-24-2004, 10:22 PM
I have 4-5 hours on the mowing and another 2 hours on the trimming.

I have 50 hours (each time they are trimmed) on the shrubs ...

10 minutes per shrub = 6 shrubs per hour.

301 shrubs/ 6 shrubs per hr = 50 hours

If they have to be trimmed 3 times per year ( most accounts require this) then it's 150 hrs on those.

Need more info on the trees. Prunning? How tall?

Removing the bark that you can't get to with power equipment will be time consuming, back breaking work. Figure 2 hours for each yard you have to remove by hand (transfer shovels, spades, rakes etc.)

Hope this helps.

NCSULandscaper
01-24-2004, 10:42 PM
DennisF's figures look right except i think the shrub pruning sounds way too high. Well actually that would depend on which type of pruning you are doing on the shrubs. If its hand selective pruning then his figures would be close to right, however if its just shaping, then half that figure would be about right i think.

I dont see the need in removing the old mulch, thats just added nutrients taken away from the plants, but if thats what they make you do, then i guess you have to if you want the account.

DennisF
01-24-2004, 10:49 PM
You're right NCSU..I have the shrub prunning quite a bit on the high side. I figure that most of the shrubs will be on the islands in the parking lot. This will require a lot of time comsuming clean-up. The actual trimming/shaping of the shrubs would be about 5 minutes per.

NCSULandscaper
01-24-2004, 10:55 PM
Dennis you are right about cleanup around islands. That would add some extra time. For the most part the shrubs near turf areas, i get up the majority then mulch the rest of the clippings with the mower. But since we have fescue, and cut it high the particles are not seen at all. That may not work as well on warm season grasses.

DennisF
01-25-2004, 08:43 AM
That's exactly the way I do it. Mulch all that you can and clean-up the rest.

Tony Clifton
01-25-2004, 10:22 AM
Turf Dancer, as far as the bark replacement is concerned, I would talk to the manager at the store and tell him it is something that is not neccesary and that the old bark is actually beneficial. Tell him that they could save some money by not removing it, but also make it a point that you will be more than willing to do so if that is what they insist on. Most property managers are looking for pro-active landscapers that look out for them and help them save money where possible.

Tony Clifton
01-25-2004, 10:26 AM
I also forgot to say you should tell him that you could do some great seasonal color displays with the money that they would be saving. This way you are not losing out on possible income from the job. Hopefully they would go for that, this way the store wins by looking better, and you win because things look a lot better then they did last year and people may see that you are the landscaper that made things look better. Of course they may keep the saved money or might not go with that plan at all but Worth a shot at least.

Turf Dancer
01-26-2004, 04:26 PM
Thanks for yur replies so far, I am stressing over this bid big time. I am tempted to throw m y arms in the air and guess as far as rate go's. My spray guy is telling me $1350 for the year and that includes the lawn areas, bed areas, and trees and shrubs.

Just to clarify a couple things most of the shrubs are located in the beds that run the length of the parking lot next to the street. there are approximately 50 located in islands. As for the trees and shrubs they are mostly small at this point, shrubs under 2 feet and trees under 15'. Thanks for the help and if anyone could give me a dollar figure on the Maintenance for the year as well as a second figure on the bark project that would help me a lot.

I am thinking $9900 for the year on the maintenance ?
Does this seem high or low ?

I am guessing $4200 on the bark job ?
low or high ?

NCSULandscaper
01-26-2004, 06:14 PM
For the mulch job, i would be close to $6,000 just for installing new mulch. Plus you said you had to remove the old. You are looking close to 100 yds of mulch to be installed.

You should not have much problem for the trimming of shrubs, and pruning of trees. Trees that small is typically low maintenance, except for the ocassional crossing, broken branch. Dont forget about the leaf cleanup of those trees either.

My bid would be in the neighborhood of $17,000 if i had to remove all the old mulch.

DennisF
01-26-2004, 09:32 PM
I have the lawn maintenance at $800 per month- $9600 per year. If you figure 7 Hours per visit that's less than $30 per hour for mowing.

Shrub/tree trimming at $2000 per occurance. That's 50 hours X $40 per hour. You might get more or less $ per hour in your area. Here in right to work state Florida, $40 is about the most you can get.

On the bark I come up with 61 yards of mulch at 2" deep(10,000 SF). I charge $60 per yard installed on jobs over 30 yards. Some guys charge quite a bit more so I may be low on this. Figure $3600 for the install plus what ever you charge per hour to remove the old stuff.

After that figure in your cost of chemicals and the time it takes to apply it and you should come up with a decent bid. Good Luck

NCSULandscaper
01-26-2004, 10:10 PM
i also added the mulch up for 2-3 inches. Thats a good amount to keep the weeds down, and to provide protection to the plants as well as to keep a good amount of moisture in the ground. Any less than that i feel doesnt work as well.

Kelly's Landscaping
01-27-2004, 12:14 AM
I realize this place will be a zoo but the times posted on mowing seem a tad long to me thereís only 2 acres of lawn here the islands are a pain in the butt How ever they ought to go quickly enough. Dennis has 4-5 hours for mowing and another 2 for trimming I think with a normal ZTR and a walk behind a 2-man crew could be done in as little as 90 mins including blowing off. Pick your time well and the place wont get in your way I'm not a morning person and donít like starting before 8 but I could see starting this around 6-630 and being ought of there for 8 am

Turf Dancer
01-27-2004, 06:18 AM
Until such time as I have enough commercial contracts to buy a Z or a large wb. I will be doing this with my 21" Hondas. I am trying to sew up about 10 to 12 commercial contracts and then I will go out in April I think and buy a WB or ZTR.
I am looking at a cost of $4500 to $8123 for what I am looking at. Varies from 36" TTHP to a 52" LAZER ZHP w\mulch kit and bagging system.

DennisF
01-27-2004, 10:11 AM
Kelly is right about the total area for mowing. It's 2 acres MOL. But most of it will be on the islands in the parking lot. You said about 19,600 sf are in one open area. That leaves about 42,000 sf of islands and strips. That requires a lot curb hopping with the mowers which will take more time. You'll find yourself dodging traffic in the parking lot, moving shopping carts out of the way so that you can mow/trim and picking up all kinds of paper and debris that people leave in the parking lot (it always seems to wind up in the grass and shrubs).

My estimate for the mowing/trimming is for a solo doing the job. So two people might be able to do it in 3 hrs. Either way it's always better to allow more time on these kind of jobs. You can get burned if you try to allocate your time too closely. JMO.