PDA

View Full Version : hydroseeders

LawnGod
01-24-2004, 04:44 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions regarding hydroseeders and which work the best. Im looking at Hurricane, Easy lawn, and Turboturf.

muddstopper
01-24-2004, 09:03 PM
My first suggestion is to forget about the Hurricane. Tonya Ketchum will fill you full of lies and you will be lucky to get half of what you order. They currently have 18 indictments against them for fraud. As far as the Hurricane machine goes it will never mix the amount of mulch that they advertise. I have one and know what I'm talking about. There is another company selling a machine called a Super Seeder. Its the same Hurricane machine made in the same town and I think by the same people altho of that I'm not 100% sure but they do have the same phone number.
As to which machine works the best, first you must decide what kind of seeding you intend to do. If you are just going to do lawns and arenot worried about erosion control you should be able to have good results with either machine. You will probably get a lot of replies about how a jet machine wont spray the heavy mulch rates that is neccisary to get grass to grow and people telling you to get a mechanical machine. I disagree with these types of statements. Knowledge of your soil and doing the proper prep work and chooseing the proper seed will win out over mulch rates everytime. I do believe that there are times when heavy mulch rates are neccisary but I have never understood how putting down all the mulch in one pass leads to better seed to soil contact. In fact putting down 2-3000 lbs of mulch in one pass will cause twice as much seed to be supended inside and on top of the mulch as there is in contact with the ground so I always reccommend doing a two step seeding by applying one layer of seed and mulch during the first step and then going over the area a second time with just mulch whenever a heavy mulch rate is required. When seeding this way you insure that you have more seed in contact with the ground and no seed laying on top of the mulch unprotected. You will also find that you can use less seed with a two step seeding process than you use with just a one step process because the seed laying on top of the mulch doesnt grow anyways.
Now if you are considering doing erosion control work you would probably be better off with a mechanical agitated machine, Easylawn and Turboturf both sell mechanical machines as does Turfmaker and Finn and Bowie and several others. Another factor you should consider is tank size. The larger the tank the more area you can seed before refilling. To large a machine and you are just pulling around unproductive weight, to small a machine and you will spend more time getting water than you will seeding. You also dont want to get a bigger machine than your truck will handle. 1000 gal machines on a trailer and you will probably have to have a CDL license to pull it and maybe even a tanker endoresment but you usually can haul a 1000 gal machine on the back of a big enough truck and not need the CDL.
Best advise is to learn your soil and seed types for your area, determine adverage size areas you intend to seed and then purchase a machine that will meet your needs.

olderthandirt
01-24-2004, 10:44 PM
muddstopper
Thats is some of the best advise I've read on this site. Opions backed up with logic and no unnessarary bs. kudos

Mac

rkk95
01-24-2004, 11:33 PM
We use a Finn, competitor uses Turbo Turf, they both do the job, We are a little faster, but we have a bigger machine. I didn't think that he made a good decision at first, but it works, and Turbo Turf is only about a 45 minute drive from our area.

muddstopper
01-24-2004, 11:44 PM
Just for info, the International Association of Hydroseeding Professionals will be having their first organizational meeting Jan 31th in Columbus Ohio at the Hampton Inn off hyway 161 at 1pm. Every hydroseeder operator, requardless of size company or type machine used, is invited to attend. If you are planning on being in Columbus for the Power Show stop in and say hello.

LawnGod
01-25-2004, 12:02 AM
well Muddstopper you just may have saved me alot of money and heartache. Iwas sold on their machine and the custom trailer they were to build for my hydroseeder. now i'm back to square one. Does anyone have any thoughts on Easy Lawn machines. Their salesman seem to be somewhat helpful although i've never met them in person. thanks you guys! Hope to here from you again!

olderthandirt
01-25-2004, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by muddstopper
Just for info, the International Association of Hydroseeding Professionals will be having their first organizational meeting Jan 31th in Columbus Ohio at the Hampton Inn off hyway 161 at 1pm. Every hydroseeder operator, requardless of size company or type machine used, is invited to attend. If you are planning on being in Columbus for the Power Show stop in and say hello.

Gonna be at the show that day so I might just look you up. Are you going to the show or staying at the Hampton for the day?

Mac

NCSULandscaper
01-25-2004, 12:18 AM
I would check out EasyLawn. I got alot of info about their line at a trade show the other week. They have an awesome jet aggitation machine with lots of power and high flow rates. Their 650 gal trailer model jet agitation machine is running around $15,600. Has a 22hp Robin Subaru Engine, 4"x3" HPV7 pump, 85psi/620 gpm max with an operating pressure of 70psi. Mulch capacitiy of 240-280 lbs. Electric reel and turret are also included with 100ft of 1 1/4" hose. I would suggest you get 200' of hose however.

muddstopper
01-25-2004, 12:47 AM
Dirt, I will be staying at a different hotel but I intend to go to the show for a while that morning. I have to leave early Sunday and drive about 500 miles.

NC, Have you seen the Easylawn machine work? $15 grand sounds awful high for a jet machine. whoops, scrolled back up and seen the trailer and hose reel. Still for 15 grand I'd sell him my 1000 gal bowie and the truck its mounted on then he could do lawns and erosion control.
Disclamer, this isnt an offer to sell but, for 15 grand, I sure would think about it.

NCSULandscaper
01-25-2004, 02:04 AM
mudd yes i have seen it and its impressive. Run turret and 200ft of hose at the same time and dont lose any pressure at all. Looks like a well built machine.

muddstopper
01-25-2004, 02:38 AM
NC, Easylawn is also making a mechanical machine, saw one in Louisville show that had the side cut out. Didnt really get a good look at it, I cant never seem to get along with Fred Smith, dont know why, so I usually advoid the easylawn booth. I think the mechanical machine is also made of stainless steel. Should be a long lasting machine. I would like to demo one sometime.

NCSULandscaper
01-25-2004, 02:49 AM
I enjoyed talking to Fred. He went over that machine one side to the other. Yea the jet agitation had a poly tank on it, but still looked good.

jay warner
01-25-2004, 09:22 AM
I bought a small 350 from Fred 2 years ago. He was then and is now on top of things. He's been a great help to me and the machine is trouble free. Fred may come on a little strong but I think he is confident in his product and he's just a go getter. From my experience with Fred and Easy Lawn, I'd give them a shot.

muddstopper
01-25-2004, 03:05 PM
jay, i think you hit the nail on the head about Fred. He does come on a little strong and I guess that is what bothers me. I dont mine salesmen comparing machines, it just erks me the wrong way when they start badmouthing other equipment, even if they are right with what they are saying. I am sure the Easylawn machine will perform well, I am not sure that their pumps will suit my situation, I am having problems with my bowie on a lot of my jobs. To much uphill pumping for centrifical pumps, I am thinking about switching to the progressive cavity pump so I can spray some of these straight up sites I always seem to get stuck with. I am certain that at the least a gear pump would be better for my situation. The centrifical pump on my bowie just dont get it with 100ft+ of vertical lift. I might try to find a machine with the dual pump design so I can switch whenever I am pumping on level or down hill jobs.

LawnGod
01-25-2004, 07:48 PM
alright mudstopper, you know where were from where are you from? I checked all of the better business bureaus from Tulsa
OK and cannot find any indictments to the states knowledge. HOW EXACTLY WERE YOU SCREWED BY THIS COMPANY AND WHAT YEAR WAS IT I respect your reply but have been given the run around by many salesman and will continue to leave my options open until we lawn dogs can get to the bottom of this if the mudstopper is right how can a company continue to entertain business for this many years

jimrguy
01-26-2004, 12:44 PM
well i dont know any thing about indictments but i know a little bit about hydroseeding (not alot ) !!! i had a aqua mulcher by tgmi and i have just purchased a 800 gallon from turfmaker. Both machines are mechanical. i have also used a turbo turf i could not get this machine to load easy or load consectutive loads without getting some sort of jam. once i went to a mechanical i could not believe the difference loading time cut well in half and i never had one clog. i also went from 400 to 800 gallons because i found my self mixing way to much. i dont think you will go wrong by getting a mechanical machine. i also have a few competitors with jets but i find they do quality work i just think when you use a wood mulch you get a better quality grass. (just my opinion)

impactlandscaping
01-26-2004, 04:32 PM
We use Turbo Turf hydroseeders. I am buying another 300 gallon unit in March, and I have never had loading/spray problem/clogs with my machine.It's a matter of preference and price in the end, really. Rick from Easy Lawn can help you, and Ray from Turbo Turf is more than happy to show you around the factory,give tips, etc.

DUSTYCEDAR
01-26-2004, 05:19 PM
i looked at machines from easylawn and they were very helpfull.
however i found that with the weight of the machine and the load of water i could not get a big enough of machine 4 my use without getting a much bigger truck and the distance i had 2 go 2 get water also played into my choice to just sub out the work when needed
just my imputt

NCSULandscaper
01-26-2004, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by DUSTYCEDAR
the distance i had 2 go 2 get water also played into my choice to just sub out the work when needed

I had the same concerns about the water issue. There are hydrants near my location, however i have a large pond on my property. I was told by easy lawn that i could use the pond as my water supply, which would mean no water fees due to hydrant hookup. But it would be better for a person if they did not have easy access to all the items they need to hydroseed, its best to let someone else do it.

DUSTYCEDAR
01-26-2004, 06:07 PM
in my area they will not let u hook up 2 the hydrant
u have 2 go 2 the water dept. and get it there

Northwest
01-27-2004, 12:04 AM
Beware of Ketchum Industries. Very poor customer service. I bought a Hurricane HV 500 in 2001, I also bought a spray unit from them. They said I would recieve my equipment within the month, many calls and three months later after I finally recieved the equipment after telling them I wanted to cancel my order. The sprayer was supposed to be put together ready to run but it came with no wiring or switches for the electric hose reels. I would have gladly paid more money for a finished machine. As for the hydroseeder it takes to long to load a jet machine and also if you try to use the rates they say the machine will handle it will clog. Granted it does work if you use less mulch but it still takes 45 minutes to load. They have the lowest price but do not return phone calls and in my case did not deliver as promised. Two months ago I had the pumps and motors stolen from the above mentioned machines and called ketchum about model and serial numbers and they still have not returned my call.

muddstopper
01-29-2004, 09:25 PM
LawnGod,
Rather than comment further on Ketchum here I sent you a pm. For others seeking more information about the indicements try contacting the Oklahoma Attorney Generals office.
Attorney General Office
4545 North Lincoln Boulevard
Suite 260
Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73105-3498

Attention to: Michelle Key
405-521-4274