PDA

View Full Version : Hustler left me a prize on the porch Thursday!!

KirbysLawn
01-24-2004, 05:19 PM
At the first of December I order a baffle kit for my Super Z, I am going to try doing mulching this year 100%, I'm tired of grass clippings everywhere!

Anyway, Thursday when I came home there was a fairly large~long box on the porch, I figured it was the kit and left it..really didn't feel like messing with it.

Well, today I open it and find it was NOT MY BAFFLE KIT! (I know the status of it) lol It was a new prototype striping kit for for the Super Z!! Some may remember a few of us tested another kit which didn't work out...well this one looks like a winner!!

I can't wait to get it mounted and mow with it!! I'll post photos and my review when I finally have enough grass to mow. I tried to get my photos of the kit up now but my CD's not reading for some reason.

Black Water
01-24-2004, 05:26 PM
My cat leves dead rats on my door-step.:cry:

I would like to see some pic's when ya get um.:)

Fareway Lawncare
01-24-2004, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by KirbysLawn
I am going to try doing mulching this year 100%, I'm tired of grass clippings everywhere!

How you going to mulch w/ that new 36" SS? Last time I looked at one there was no Kit avail..

Personally, I'd rather have mulch kits on the smaller mowers where you have to deal with tight landscaping.

KirbysLawn
01-24-2004, 06:26 PM
Hummmm the Super Surfer, that's another story. I'll post it later when I can but it's going back and I have a 37" Hustler on order.

Fareway Lawncare
01-24-2004, 06:28 PM
Do you know how Much Longer that 37" Hustler is than your Former SS? Then add a Sulky.

KirbysLawn
01-24-2004, 06:32 PM
Forgot to attach the photos, here is the kit:

KirbysLawn
01-24-2004, 06:33 PM
Here it is on the mower, I have not fully attached it yet, was in a hurry before dark and a date:

FrankenScagMachines
01-24-2004, 07:10 PM
Ray, looks alright. Iím sure it will do a fine job, but why donít they just do it right and put a roller on the deck already? The deck rollers do more than just stripe- they are one huge anti-scalp wheel. Itís still a good looking accessory, and Iím sure it does a good job. Good luck with it and the new walk behind.

Oh, that customized rear engine guard is really sweet too :cool:

John Gamba
01-24-2004, 07:15 PM
Like The Original Eric.

olderthandirt
01-24-2004, 07:21 PM
I thought you were talking about the magazine, and you got a center fold. Now that would be PRIZE

Mac

FrankenScagMachines
01-24-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by John Gamba
Like The Original Eric.
Right on bro!

DLCS
01-24-2004, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by KirbysLawn

Well, today I open it and find it was NOT MY BAFFLE KIT! (I know the status of it) lol It was a new prototype striping kit for for the Super Z!! Some may remember a few of us tested another kit which didn't work out...well this one looks like a winner!!

I agree with FSM on the deck roller. I would think a roller would do a better job. Why use a rubber flap, looks kinda like a squeegee.:p

Metro Lawn
01-24-2004, 08:33 PM
I like the Idea of the rubber striper. I have rollers on my Exmarks and they do a fine job, but they take a beating and wear out. Rubber will wear and wear and if it does finally need replacing ( it's cheap ).

Fareway Lawncare
01-24-2004, 09:16 PM
Can you elaborate on why you dumped the SS so quickly? I was considering one.

Cut 2 Please
01-24-2004, 10:13 PM
I have noticed that you are running a Pro-Slide behind your TT. Do you also have the stripe kit on it or is it not needed with the Pro-Slide. Just wondering if both together would do an even better job. I am currently running a Pro Slide behind my TTHP and loving it. I am just waiting on some green grass to stripe. From what I can tell so far it seems to be doing a good job.

mowerconsultant
01-24-2004, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by FrankenScagMachines
Ray, looks alright. Iím sure it will do a fine job, but why donít they just do it right and put a roller on the deck already?

Who says putting a roller on the back is "doing it right" ?? is this not doing it right ? does it not do exactly what it is designed for ?
The reason we do not have a roller on the back of the deck is because there is not room for it, we keep the back of that deck tight to the rear wheels so it does not scalp.
I do not have pricing on this kit yet, but I can tell you it will be a LOT less expensive than a roller design.

Pj

mowerconsultant
01-24-2004, 11:00 PM
Like The Original Eric.
"Like The Original" what ??? Coke ???
What are you talking about ????

draftlawncare
01-24-2004, 11:04 PM
you think mice are bad to find on your doorstep you should see what my dog drags home anything from rabbits to deer hides and possums

sgreanbean
01-24-2004, 11:37 PM
he is talkin about ERIC ELM. The master of stripping. There should be pictures on here if you do a search of his name, youll see then why he was regarded so highly, unfortunately Eric passed away a few years ago. He was very well known in the industry and was dixie choppers most valued customer as he knew the machines better than they did! He did alot of research for them and I believe was responsible for alot of their success

FrankenScagMachines
01-25-2004, 12:04 AM
Pj, Iíve used both before, on mowers that I own/owned. The flap does a great job for striping, but with the roller it does so much more. It allows you to carry your stripes into areas of the lawn that would otherwise need to be mowed separately. This lets you have your stripes going the same way over the entire lawn. You can mow berms and certain rough areas in the same pattern as the rest of the lawn so it looks much better. The deck roller will help more in anti-scalping than having your rear wheels set close to the deck. I donít recall hearing where a stock eXmark w/o a striper had any problems scalping and Iím sure if set side by side of a Hustler neither would scalp more than the other. So to answer your question, yes it does exactly what it was designed for and for striping only Iím sure itís very cost effective. Yes the rollers do wear out but as I said I feel that it provides a lot more performance. But then itís not only for striping as I said, but it happens to do both things. when I built mine for my eXmark, I didnít do it for striping. I have a ProSlide that does a great job of that, plus eXmarks really donít need a striping kit. I did it for anti-scalping. It didnít have a problem of scalping but I like to squeeze every ounce of performance out of it as I can. Now I really did have a problem of the wheels being too close to the deck, so I made the roller sit right under the deck instead of behind it like factory kits for other mowers. This wonít let you mow below 3Ē but thatís just fine because I always mow at 3.5-4.5Ē I know this wonít work for anyone with southern grasses but it works for me and it does help with striping a lot but thatís not why I did it.

Again Iím not bashing you guys I think it will do a fine job for striping. But maybe you could offer a roller as a separate attachment so that if a few intelligent LCOís realize what a roller will do for them then they can get it instead.

As for the ďoriginalĒ statement, John was talking about the eXmark EZ-Striper, the roller in his picture.

Címon Pj, lets not start a fight over something like this. Hustler has some great stuff thatís really cool. I just think a deck roller adds a lot more to the machine. Maybe you should try one ;) Have a great day Pj.

NOBODY DOES IT BETTER!!!!!!!!

gene gls
01-25-2004, 12:08 AM
If thats the correct location of the "new" stripping kit don't get too excited. It will be in the way of the boggie wheels on steep approaches and get caught.

Gene

mowerconsultant
01-25-2004, 12:39 AM
As for the ďoriginalĒ statement, John was talking about the eXmark EZ-Striper, the roller in his picture.

Címon Pj, lets not start a fight over something like this. Hustler has some great stuff thatís really cool. I just think a deck roller adds a lot more to the machine. Maybe you should try one ;) Have a great day Pj.

As for the "ORIGINAL" statement.....Exmark did not "ORIGINALY" offer this kit....a aftermarket company did, and they did it from the efforts put forward by a member of this site.
Exmark does offer it now and that is great for Exmark owners.
We can not put a roller on the Hustler Z or Super Z with out making some design changes on the mower itself, thus for current and future owners this kit is the best solution.
It will be the most economical way to offer great looking stripes.
Eric, I am not trying to "start a fight" I have not and never will, but I feel when someone just puts a statement (and pic) in a thread that has nothing to do with the post topic (Hustler striping kit), that they should explain it.

Pj

mowerconsultant
01-25-2004, 12:48 AM
But maybe you could offer a roller as a separate attachment so that if a few intelligent LCOís realize what a roller will do for them then they can get it instead.
:rolleyes:

excel25
01-25-2004, 06:40 AM
This Kit is GREAT!! easy to install( Took me 5 min. ) will be easy to replace when necessary and much cheaper than a steel roller.

Richard Martin
01-25-2004, 07:27 AM
Like The Original Eric.

I think Simplicity would take issues with that statement. Also Dixie Chopper has offered a chain striper for a very long time. Probably since before Exmark was even a twinkle in the eyes of disgruntled Encore employees.

KirbysLawn
01-25-2004, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Fareway Lawncare
Can you elaborate on why you dumped the SS so quickly? I was considering one.

NOthing to do with Great Dane or the mower. I ordered it new and while on the way down someone decided it would be ok to take it to a trade show and demo it...for 10 hours! I was not asked and was not happy!!! Since I'm getting a larger trailer in TN next week I am not limited on length anymore.

Ordered the Hustler.

As for the topic of the kit, it is a test kit, so give us time to "test" it! I think it could easily be converted to a chain kit also.

John Gamba
01-25-2004, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Cut 2 Please
I have noticed that you are running a Pro-Slide behind your TT. Do you also have the stripe kit on it or is it not needed with the Pro-Slide. Just wondering if both together would do an even better job. I am currently running a Pro Slide behind my TTHP and loving it. I am just waiting on some green grass to stripe. From what I can tell so far it seems to be doing a good job.

Hay Cut!
I Dont think You Need a Roller With a Pro? It all Depends On How Long You are Off It?? If You Are Off It Alot Then Get It.

Here Is a Pic (Its Old) With the Pro.
John

John Gamba
01-25-2004, 08:58 AM
Heres One with the roller
John

John Gamba
01-25-2004, 10:01 AM
Here Yea! Go
Just paint it yellow.
John

J.Gordon
01-25-2004, 11:25 AM
Now thatís a roller! I was going to take a picture of one that is 5í tall and 14 Ď wide but you beat me to it. :D

John Gamba
01-25-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by J.Gordon
Now thatís a roller! I was going to take a picture of one that is 5í tall and 14 Ď wide but you beat me to it. :D

Dont Laugh, I Have used one like that to stripe back in the day.:D

sgreanbean
01-25-2004, 12:56 PM
i was way off on this!

1PRO
01-25-2004, 01:04 PM
stainless steel roller eh cost @ 250-300

Soupy
03-27-2004, 02:39 AM
Ray, looks alright. Iím sure it will do a fine job, but why donít they just do it right and put a roller on the deck already? The deck rollers do more than just stripe- they are one huge anti-scalp wheel. Itís still a good looking accessory, and Iím sure it does a good job. Good luck with it and the new walk behind.

Oh, that customized rear engine guard is really sweet too :cool:

I know this is an old thread, but FSM how would a big roller on the back of the deck help with scalping? wouldn't the blades have already scalped the high spot before the roller even gets a chance to raise the deck.

Also, last I remember Exmark doesn't even make their roller. It is an aftermarket product that they sell. And it is way over priced. Hustler's unit is only $95.

Mowing Dude
08-20-2004, 12:37 AM
Any update on how you like this?

Fareway Lawncare
08-20-2004, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Soupy
I know this is an old thread, but FSM how would a big roller on the back of the deck help with scalping? wouldn't the blades have already scalped the high spot before the roller even gets a chance to raise the deck.

Also, last I remember Exmark doesn't even make their roller. It is an aftermarket product that they sell. And it is way over priced. Hustler's unit is only $95.

... eXmark Makes the Roller & Has Ruber Flaps on the Walks...You can also use the Roller to Press Piles of Leaves Down Before Running over them.....

Gage Wheels & The Deck Roller on the Back of Deck Help w/Scraping & Flotation...Especially On Hydros w/reverse is used alot....

CAPS
04-13-2005, 11:59 PM
Kirby - Got any results from the test of the Hustler striping kit? Pictures would be great. Just spent a week demoing a Mini Z 52" and was very impressed. My guys love the stripes we get from the Lazer HP we have now. The effectiveness of the Hustler kit will probably by our deciding factor. Thanks.

lampeslawnservice
04-14-2005, 12:56 AM
I personally hated this striper. It would constantly get my mower hung up on curbs. I could even feel it hanging in rough yards. I took mine off in less than 10 hours use, about 8 too long. It's somewhere in the local landfill striping trash.

PMLAWN
04-14-2005, 02:14 AM
I personally hated this striper. It would constantly get my mower hung up on curbs. I could even feel it hanging in rough yards. I took mine off in less than 10 hours use, about 8 too long. It's somewhere in the local landfill striping trash.
Which kit are you talking about. The flap type on the Hustler or the roller. Thanks