PDA

View Full Version : How many bags?

michindi
01-28-2004, 08:42 PM
Hey all! I am brand new to the business and to this web site. I have a ton of questions for all you experts. But for now I want to ask this one. I need about 4.5 yards of mulch. I want to buy bags of mulch instead of bulk. So I want to know how many bags of mulch do I need and how do i figure this out. I plan on doing alot of mulching so i could use all the info i can get...Thanks in advance.

GrassBustersLawn
01-28-2004, 09:00 PM
A CUBIC YARD is 27 Cubic FEET. A cubic YARD will spread 3 to 4 inches deep over 100 SQUARE FEET. I've seen bagged mulch in 2 CU. FEET and in 3 Cu. FEET bags. So you need to check and see what you are buying. But if you are buying 3 Cu Ft bags, you will need 9 of them for 1 cubic yard. So 4.5 (yards) x 9 = 40.5 bags (3 cu. Ft.)

Hope this helps.

Mike

proenterprises
01-28-2004, 09:08 PM
another note on buying in bags-i am not sure your strategy to buying in all bags but make sure you find a good wholesale spot where you can get a good deal on bagged mulch. otherwise, your overhead will be through the roof buying by the bag.

eric22
01-28-2004, 09:10 PM
one bag will cover about the size of the bag if you a 4-5 inches

michindi
01-28-2004, 09:33 PM
Thanks Grassbusters...... Im not really set on useing bags. I have not checked on prices yet for bulk, but the cheapest 2 cu feet of red mulch i could find is $2.47 a bag. I am very new to this so im checking out all my options.

Norm Al
01-28-2004, 10:06 PM

Ground Effects NH
01-29-2004, 04:31 PM
Hello
I hope this may be of some help, If not maybe in the future add it to your Favorites.
http://www.atstecks.com/mulch.htm

michindi
01-29-2004, 06:22 PM
Thanks alot for that web site it does help. Can someone tell me the formula to figure out how many sq feet are in a cubic foot. This might be a stupid answer but I am in the learning process of this whole thing. I used that web site and it said I need 41 bags of 3 cubic foot bags, but the bags around here are only 2 cubic ft.

Norm Al
01-29-2004, 06:30 PM
length x width x hiegth gives you the square

GrassBustersLawn
01-29-2004, 07:08 PM
Length x width x height gives you CUBIC Feet.

1 CUBIC YARD equals 27 CUBIC FEET (3x3x3=27)

27 CUBIC FEET (1 CU Yard) will do about 100 SQ feet 3 to 4 inches deep!

4.5 CU yards x (27 cu feet divided by 2 cu ft bag = 13.5 bags per yard) = # of 2 cu ft bags needed SO.......

4.5 x 13.5 = 60.75 bags and since most stores won't sell you .75 of a bag go with 60 or 61.

60 x $2.47 = $148.20

Buying in bulk is usually MUCH CHEAPER if you can handle it.

Mike

gogetter
01-29-2004, 08:02 PM
I'm curious why you want to use bags rather then bulk?

Let it Grow
01-29-2004, 08:41 PM
If I were you I'd go with unbagged bulk mulch...or at least see how much it costs. Around here I can get a yard for $15 wholesale, then I can resell it for between $30-$45/yd. (installed) and I'm pretty low, compared to most. If I were you I'd check into something like that.

michindi
01-29-2004, 09:34 PM
The price for bulk is $21 a yard. Atleast thats the cheapest i have found so far. The same place would sell me bags for $1.99. The only reason I want to use bag is becuase the clean up wont be so much. I put in the bid tonight for 732 sq ft for the price of $250. Is that too much or too little?

Let it Grow
01-29-2004, 10:38 PM
You must be putting down about 2" huh?

Here's something to look at:

4.5 yds of mulch needed

A) Bagged mulch-61 2cu. ft. bags x $1.99=$121.39

B) Wholesale unbagged-4.5 x $21=$94.50

Since your wholesale price is higher than mine I would probably charge $50-$60 per yd. so I would have bid around $225-$270 (Realistically more like $270). Which would mean I would make about $175 profit ($270-mulch cost ($94)=$176)

One guy can do a yard an hour usually so it would take about
4.5hrs which would mean you I would make about $39/hr. (That is if I did all my math right!!!) which is pretty good in my area.

In other words I probably would have bid a little higher.

michindi
01-29-2004, 10:48 PM
Your right I was going to put 2" down. I just talked to the guy and said that was way too much and he is just going to go to Home Depot and do it himself... Let it Grow how did you know I was only going to put 2" down?

NCSULandscaper
01-29-2004, 10:48 PM
The simplest formula to use is length x width divided by 100 for 2-3" depth. Which for the most part is all you need at a time. That answer you get is the number of cubic yards you will need.

Bagged mulch would cost me about $30 a cu.yd I get bulk mulch which is better than bagged for $10 a cu. yd.

Let it Grow
01-30-2004, 12:51 AM
This guy must not know how much it costs to do the job! I wouldn't go lower...you'll be working too hard for not enough money!

I knew you were putting that much down because I just entered your numbers into my mulch calculator, and that's what it came up with. Did the guy specify that he wanted 2"? Maybe he's thinking that he just wants it "refreshed", maybe that's why he thinks it's too high? Just a thought.

If I were you I'd stick to my bid...after he starts he might figure out that it's more work than he though...if not...oh well, there's plenty more people out there that will pay well for the work you do.

Good luck.

GrassBustersLawn
01-30-2004, 09:56 AM
Michindi - I charge $63 a yard for product and installation - TO DO BULK. My trailer can carry 7 cu yards per load, so I could do the job you are talking about (4.5) yards with ONE TRIP from mulch store to job. I doubt if you could get 60 bags in one load, so you would have to charge MORE to make the same money due to all your extra drive time.

LEt the customer do it. Maybe he will appreciate how much work is involved in laying mulch! Next time he needs it he will be ready to pay what it is worth to have an LCO put it down.

Mike

Lux Lawn
01-30-2004, 02:55 PM
We always buy in bulk its cheaper for us and I would rather shovel it off a trailer or driveway anyday then open all of those bags.

gergaler
01-30-2004, 03:10 PM
First off man, You never buy in bags, you always buy bulk. If you only need a half a yard then buy a half a yard. Your price is alot cheaper and you make more money...

Are rate in michigan is 50.00 a yard laid down. That for some plain old ceader mulch. My price is about 21 dollars on that

D Felix
01-30-2004, 03:30 PM
It's great you guys are trying to help, but why am I getting the feeling that this is a troll?

"How many square feet are in a cubic foot?" C'mon, give me a break! It's simple math! If he can't figure how many bags he needs, how does he know he needs 4.5 yards?

I'm smelling troll, but that's just me....

Dan

michindi
01-30-2004, 04:20 PM
Smell troll all you want D Felix. I know how many yards I need because I used a mulch calc. online. It told how many yards but not bags. So you must be smelling something eles like maybe yourself, but hey THATS JUST ME...

Del9175
01-30-2004, 04:56 PM
After spreading plenty of bulk mulch while living in Michigan, I was suprised to see that practically everyone uses bagged mulch down here in Florida. I have to say that I find it much easier and faster to spread. I can hual at least a yard in a regular two wheeled wheelbarrow, which takes about a minute to load. There seems to be a lot more plants per square feet in the typical landscape down here which can make bulk mulch a little tougher to spread. If it were possible to simply dump a load of bulk mulch from the wheelbarrow then I would agree it may be quicker. I can easily spread 50 or so bags in under two hours. I can also hual over 5 yards in a standard pickup without any racks. That of course is when I buy a whole pallet. They just slide 'er right on in.

Mowmoney00
01-30-2004, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Del9175
I can hual at least a yard in a regular two wheeled wheelbarrow, which takes about a minute to load.....I can easily spread 50 or so bags in under two hours. I can also hual over 5 yards in a standard pickup without any racks. That of course is when I buy a whole pallet. They just slide 'er right on in.

Man if you can get five yards of mulch (with the plastic bags and pallet) in the bed of your truck, I'd like to see the size of your truck.

We can barely fit 6 cu. yds. of bulk mulch on one of our 16 ft. by 6 ft. trailers. Maybe it's just the supplier we go through.

Our mulch cost us anywhere from $12 to $22 (depending on the type of mulch / Hardwood, midnight, playsoft, pine fines, pine mulch, colored mulch or compost). The only mulch we get in bags is Cypress Mulch.

I would really look into getting bulk mulch. You will get more bang for your buck. And if you do buy in bulk, pick one or two suppliers and stick with them.

HERE'S A HINT.....TIP THE GUY LOADING $5 AND SEE WHAT YA GET.

NCSULandscaper
01-31-2004, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by Mowmoney00

We can barely fit 6 cu. yds. of bulk mulch on one of our 16 ft. by 6 ft. trailers. Maybe it's just the supplier we go through.

Do you have sides on that trailer. I have 2 ft sides on mine and can haul about 12 yds at a time. 6.5'x16'

Del9175
01-31-2004, 04:09 AM
"Man if you can get five yards of mulch (with the plastic bags and pallet) in the bed of your truck, I'd like to see the size of your truck. "

It is a little tall so I throw the top four or so layers down. I'm sure bulk is cheaper, but not much. I pay $1.49 for a 2 cu. yd bag. I think the bag mulch spreads so much faster as well. This of course is my opinion, because I haven't spread bulk in about 5 years. Hauled 10 yards on my 14' x6', but I put a couple of sheets of plywood down the sides. Comes out to a little over $20 bucks.

jkelton
01-31-2004, 10:58 AM
Johnathon,
Hmm, let me guess, you probably get your mulch from Dennis!

Mowmoney00
01-31-2004, 12:04 PM
Ummmmm......how'd you know Jason.

We have 2 ft. sides on the trailer, but when we get a yard of mulch its ALOT of mulch.....like I said it's probably the supplier we go through. Right Jason?

jkelton
02-01-2004, 01:04 PM
When I started out, I had my loader over there and got all my mulch from that location and their location in Nashville. I watched him load the landscaper's trucks - he usually gives out a little more than expected. Dennis will take care of you as long as you talk to him while you're there.

Benchmark
03-03-2004, 11:11 PM
http://www.gardengem.com/content/calculator/mulch_calc.html#

Great site gives cubic feet, cubic yard, number of bags for 2cf and 3cf etc.

Flipperneck
03-03-2004, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Del9175
After spreading plenty of bulk mulch while living in Michigan, I was suprised to see that practically everyone uses bagged mulch down here in Florida. I have to say that I find it much easier and faster to spread. I can hual at least a yard in a regular two wheeled wheelbarrow, which takes about a minute to load. There seems to be a lot more plants per square feet in the typical landscape down here which can make bulk mulch a little tougher to spread. If it were possible to simply dump a load of bulk mulch from the wheelbarrow then I would agree it may be quicker. I can easily spread 50 or so bags in under two hours. I can also hual over 5 yards in a standard pickup without any racks. That of course is when I buy a whole pallet. They just slide 'er right on in.

WOW....You can fit at least a yard in the wheelbarrow? With bulk it takes three and it weighs a decent amount triple an overloaded wheelbarrow mustn't be too light.