PDA

View Full Version : Ramrod miniskid

grlandscaping
02-03-2004, 08:36 PM
Hello all, I'm new to the site and have enjoyed reading all the info that is on here.

I wanted to see what people thought about the Ramrod 1150 (track model) model, or ramrod in general.

I've heard very good things about their new models and all of their attachments and lift capacities are great. I'm about to buy one, with 20 hours of demo on it. I'm ran it myself and am impressed with it's capabilities. Some of the hardware on the track assembly have been replaced with upgraded parts, as the factory parts are not as reliable.

I would love any and all input on ramrods or other mini units. Thanks!

bcx400
02-04-2004, 08:42 AM
grlandscaping- I bought a ramrod 1150 last spring. There are quite a few posts here on lawnsite.com- you can view them by using the search menu. See if this link works (this is the first time I have tried this) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread/t-58836.html

bcx400
02-04-2004, 08:47 AM
grlandscaping- I would stay away from the Ramrod diesel engine, unless they have changed the link between the engine and hydraulic pumps. I demoed one with the diesel engine last year. They have a belt-driven assembly that powers the hydraulic pumps (both belts broke within 2 hours). The gasoline engines use a drive shaft to power the pumps.

grlandscaping
02-04-2004, 10:04 AM
Thanks

The one i'm lookin at right now is a gas engine, i assume you went with a gas engine too?

Besides that, how has it held up for you?

grlandscaping
02-04-2004, 10:08 AM
I read your post earlier about the ramrod.

What size should the axle be? I don't want to be sidelined with a broken axle, thanks bcx.

bcx400
02-04-2004, 10:45 AM
grlandscaping- yes, I went with the Kawasaki gas engine. I don't know the diameter of the new axle, but I can tell you this- The old axle had a smaller diameter where the bearing surrounds the axle shaft. The new axles have a larger bearing, and the axle shaft is the same diameter throughout the entire length.

The machine seems to be holding up ok- I had hydraulic fluid leaks, which were repaired under warranty. I am still concerned about the axles- but only time will tell if they hold up. I really push the limits of this machine- I should probably be using something a little more heavy-duty.

If I had to do it all over again, I would seriously consider the ASV RC-30. You might want to check out the posts and compare.

syNNer
02-07-2004, 06:11 PM
grlandscaping I too just demo'd a Ramrod 1150 with the Kawi liquid cooled. very impressive machine. also looked at a Toro dingo, nothing stands out about it other than the red paint and the higher price and tested a Thomas 25GT. The Thomas is a copy of the older series Ramrod, though little unit but I found it too be very tippy and hard to operate smoothly. Plus for the Thomas is the single joystick that operates the boom and bucket. Thomas pricing is close to Ramrod but is limited by only offering a Kohler air cooled engine.

G&S LANDSCAPING
02-07-2004, 07:07 PM
Check out a finn or the new bobcat mt-51. Ihave heard nothing but bad reports on ramrod. Dealer support and same day parts is what you need. Or a dealer loner program. Down time is money.

bcx400
02-07-2004, 07:26 PM
G&S has a good point about RAMROD dealer support. The repairs for my 1150 took about 10 days- all because of parts being shipped from Saskatchewan, Canada. Have yet to here of a dealer that stocks Ramrod parts. I think Ramrod has some really good ideas, but the service is not up to par. Like the last post says-DOWN TIME IS MONEY!

UNISCAPER
02-07-2004, 08:09 PM
Before you decide upon any of the stand ons, for the price, consider a Bocat 463, skid steer. If you install the 36" kit, it will get in tighter spots than the stand ons, and it will load an F-450 dump truck without building dirt ramps the elevate the bucket. You can install any implement that the stand ons will accept as well.

This is the route we went, and thought it would do more that we needed to do and we got a considerable amount more with the package.

Just food for thought

syNNer
02-08-2004, 10:16 AM
The Bobcat 463 does a ton of work for its size but I found it easily stuck in most of my jobsites. For that reason we are looking at a tracked mini skid without breaking into the price catagory of the ASV RC-30. Sweet part of the Bobcat is the extensive number of Bobcat/industry attachments for it.

UNISCAPER
02-09-2004, 12:26 AM
We have a ASV 30 as well...The bobcat is so narrow that is why we chose it....I wonder when they (Bobcat) will put tracks on the 463.....

grlandscaping
02-09-2004, 10:34 AM
On the ramrod, how often were you needing parts for it? I know of the unit i'm looking at, they have updated the hardware on the tension bar of the tracks.

I've been extensivly looking around at all the other options for a mini skid, and tell me if i'm wrong, but nothing even comes close to the capacities that the ramrod has. I've ran the 463 before, but just didn't like it and wasn't impressed. I haven't looked into the ASV RC-30, so i cannot comment on that. The bobcat 50 looks just like the Dingo, i don't like how you have to look across this long machine to see what you are doing, the visibility isn't that good.

I know the dealer that i'm looking at the ramrod very well, and as far as the downtime issue goes, i'd be able to get it in and worked on within a day. Downtime is definatly money lost. It's tough trying to figure out which way to go for sure, especially when you're talking about spending a large amount of money. This unit has 20 hrs on it, rebuilt tension bar, materials bucket, auger attachment for 12,100. What do ya think?

bcx400
02-14-2004, 06:54 PM
grlandscaping- to you buy the ramrod yet?

what type of upgrades to the track tensioning system were done?

the price you were talking about sounds good. 20 hours on a machine is still new. If you have good dealer support, it sounds like an excellent price.

rambo10
02-27-2004, 02:48 PM
I have been looking for a compact skid steer also and I have thoroughly checked out the specs on most of them. I have not done a demo on any yet, waiting for the weather!

The one that I feel that I will probably purchase is the Vermeer S600, of course is after the demo of them all.

Vermeer, as you all know is a good brand, has a higher lift height, heavier unit, more hydraulic capacity (gpm), 16 gal fuel tank and comes in 25hp Kohler gas or Kubota 25hp diesel.

Pricing is $14,500 for gas or $16,500 for diesel.

jester
03-02-2004, 09:21 PM
I really like the ramrod it gets in tight spots doesnt tear up the yard, works great.

syNNer
03-02-2004, 09:33 PM
jester, what model of ramrod are you using? tracks or tires?

allaccesslandscaping
04-01-2004, 11:25 PM
Iam also looking to get a ramrod 1150 two of them... My main concern is the support I live in the bay Area Ca. So if any body knows of a support for them let me know.. Also looking @ ditch witch support team up the freeway 50 miles.... But I just dont like the fact you have to walk behind it

allaccesslandscaping
04-01-2004, 11:27 PM
new question ?? HAs any one use the mini skid steer day in and day out . How do it hold from the beating? Cause I plan on beating the hell out of it .. I have heavy use for it everyday

work4green
04-14-2004, 11:23 PM
The dealers here are offering rebates on the polaris 30, which is the same as the asv rc30. Total cost is a hair under 15k.

GeeVee
04-16-2004, 08:29 AM
While I like the the stand on units okay- if you want to replace a laborer or two, I'd prefer the ride -IN units for safety......

ajmctree
05-07-2007, 01:16 AM
We have had our Ramrod 1150 w/ a 27 HP Kohler and over all i've been very satisfied. I bought it used with a couple hundred hours on it from a dealer. They sent all the new hardware for new bogies and all the improved metal pieces that they come with now to reinforce the frame. As for support i got better service from them than my local Ford dealership. Wheather it was the new bogies, pieces for our auger they have been great.
Most of the damage caused to the machine was my own fault. But last fall we had a mahor engine problem, the motor lost one lobe off the cam. My brother took te motor completely apart figuring that this was on our hook but when he notified Ramrod they ended up sending us a brand new 27 HP Kohler. Remember this is a 2002 modle year machine and they came through in spades.
As for running the machine, time is money. If i have to always baby the machine i might as well do it by hand.
Just my 2 cents worth