PDA

View Full Version : Flash?????

troblandscape
02-03-2004, 09:26 PM
How many of you use flash on your websites? If so have you found that alot of customers are confused about flash. Thanx

Turboguy
02-06-2004, 01:41 PM
Hi Trob,

I use flash imbeded in a couple of my web sites. It does not seem to have created much of a problem. I have never had anyone mention any difficutlies. For most of my web sites I try to keep them simple so anyone with an old browser or any browser won't have a problem.

I really don't like the flash into pages. I think you loose too many people who don't want to sit around for a minute or two while some so so graphics whirl around in front of their eyes.

GlorifiedLawnBoy
02-06-2004, 05:12 PM
Flash is for TV Ads.
Flash Is for Games.
Flash is for cross platform coding.
Flash is for animation.
Flash is for banner ads.
Flash is for big honking super-fast servers.
Stick to Html. Do not turn away customers with gizmos, tricks, and nifty animations. Super long download times are for people waiting to see something cool and exciting. Your site should be about INFORMATION. Information about who you are and what you offer. Customers do not want to wait or find their way through a lot of flash to get it.
I code Flash for others but you will not find any flash on my website. You will find rapid page download times even with a slow net connection. Clean design and instant information is what people want.

Wells
02-07-2004, 10:59 AM
GlorifiedLanwBoy,

I use a small flash animation at the top of my page, never thought about it overwhelming a viewer..

How about letting me know if you think it's to much...

Thanks

Turboguy
02-07-2004, 11:53 AM
I do agree with lawn boy that you need to be concerned about page loading times. I have had times on a slow computer that I sat and sat and finally just moved on. I have had times that I visited a site and they had a flash entry page the took a long time just to whirl around some meaningless graphics and I went elsewhere too.

I have looked at your site in the past Wells and I think the flash does not slow up the page particularly and it is tasteful and I think you are better off with it than you would be without it. You have a nice site.

There are lots of things people can do to hurt their site. Too much movement that can be distracting. Too much clutter. Not enough graphics to make the page interesting or photos or grapics or flash that load too slowly

GlorifiedLawnBoy
02-07-2004, 03:25 PM
Wells, The flash is OK but on a slower connection I have finnished reading everything and am ready to move on to another page before I even see the flash animation.
One of the bandwith hogs is the animated logo. Here is your logo and some optimized versions with the fastest first finishing with your original. If you want to use any of the faster versions just copy them and then save them to your site with the original name.
http://www.BestHomeLawns.com/wlc16opt01.gif
http://www.BestHomeLawns.com/wlc16opt02.gif
http://www.BestHomeLawns.com/wlc16opt03.gif
http://wellslawncare.com/images/wlc16.gif
The first one downloads in about 1/8 of the time. It may not have the same feel as the original but will anyone really notice if they have never seen the original? The third one has the same feel as the original but downloads in half the time.
You decide. I would go with the first myself but I am bandwith conscience.
Oh yeah I normally would charge $15.00 to $20.00 for that bit of optimizing.:D

GlorifiedLawnBoy
02-07-2004, 03:27 PM
Oh Yeah. If you notice they take a long time load because they are being loaded into the page together and not one right after the other.:o

troblandscape
02-07-2004, 07:19 PM
Thanx for the input guys!!

Rex Mann
02-08-2004, 01:33 AM
We have a flash intro.

our web site (http://rmstonescaping.com)

Peace,

Rex

Turboguy
02-08-2004, 11:36 AM
Hi Rex,

First off you have what I would call the best done Flash Into I have seen. It tells a story and sells your serivices. I like it. I see a lot of flash Into pages that just try and look impressive with motion and pazazz, (not sure how you spell that)

If more Flash into pages were like yours I would like them.

burnandreturn
02-08-2004, 01:03 PM
I like to include a "skip" intro button, let's you cover several area's. The intro is fine maybe the first time someone visits but for repetitive visits it's not good. Depends on how you use your site. If your customers keep coming back a intro that can't be skipped is a turnoff!!

Wells
02-10-2004, 03:07 PM
GlorifiedLawnBoy,

Thanks for the optimization... I'll replace the current one with one of these optimized versions.

GlorifiedLawnBoy
02-10-2004, 07:07 PM
Your Welcome Wells.
I am happy they will help.
Once you've copied all three to your computer let me know so that I can delete them from my server. Thanks.

Wells
02-10-2004, 07:56 PM
GlorifiedLawnBoy,

I've pulled them down, go ahead a get rid of them.
Thanks again.

Team Gopher
02-11-2004, 11:25 AM
Hi Rex Mann,

I just checked out your site and I like the intro you have.