PDA

View Full Version : Newspaper Classified Ads

Birddog Lawncare
02-10-2004, 11:01 AM
I checked on the local paper's advertising rates? For a six line ad in the classifieds for 30 days is $100 and for a business ad it's $150 for 30 days. Is this a good way to drum business up for the first year? I'm totally starting from scratch, no leads or anything. THere's also a local sportsmen's club that sends out a monthly newsletter, they only charge $50 for the year. ANyone have any advice?

charlies
02-10-2004, 12:18 PM
that depends on how much money you have for advertising. but you can trust me on this, you do not want that to be your only form of advertising if you have no customers now. what i have found to be the most effective methods for gaining new customers are flyers and referral (word of mouth).

flyers - there are many methods of distributing flyers. some of these include: door-to-door, paper box, other boxes, door hangers, posting in public places, direct mailing, etc. keep your flyer simple and to the point. they cost about 25$ per 1000. there may be legal implications to your methods, you might want to look into that.

referral - this applies even to the start-up, just differently from established businesses. established businesses happily gain new clients on the basis of referal from pre existing customers. the start up can gain referal through friends and family.

dishboy
02-12-2004, 11:38 AM
The newspaper worked great here twenty years ago, competition

dishboy
02-12-2004, 11:46 AM
Sorry, hit the wrong button. The newspaper used to work great here twenty years ago. One guy could not keep up with a ad in the spring. Competition is so great on every front now that has changed. So my guess the answer is try the newspaper first, if the growing season starts and your not getting calls expand your advertising.

dishboy
02-12-2004, 11:52 AM
P. S. Make sure that when a prospective customer calls that they get a real voice, usually the first reasonable person to make a bid will get the job, so If you have a cell phone and can make a bid fast your chances of landing the job increase.

J Hisch
02-13-2004, 09:26 AM
Newspaper does work and it is the most affordable media a new business can afford. however it is difficult to build up route density becasue call could come form all over the city, but your first year you just need to mow anywhere. so go for it. If you are very agressive I think you could find about 20-40 customers this year. Maybe more. How hungry are you?

Lombardi
02-15-2004, 10:29 AM
Actually, if you would calculate the price of newspaper ads compared to yellow pages you would see that newspaper advertising is extremely expensive. Last year I advertised in two papers for $25.00/wk., which is just one ad per week per paper. I did get some calls but most of my calls came from the yellow pages.
This year I am doubling the size of my yellow page ad and eliminating newspaper ads. Ask peoples opinions about where they look when they need a service such as yours. Most will say the yellow pages. The reason for this is that the paper usually only comes once a week. The yellow pages are there everyday, all year long.
You should try several methods and in a couple of years you will see what works best. The longer you are in business the less your advertising expenses should be.

mrusk
02-15-2004, 11:53 AM
If you are planning on building a big company wouldn't it be benifical to use newspapers even though it will get you customers that are more spread out? Think about it. The first year the customers are spread out. But after that year you advertise in areas in between to fill in the rest of the space in between. You see waht i am saying?

matt

mow2nd
02-19-2004, 12:30 AM
no, I dont see why you wanna drive all over the country to cut grass. Think about gas, u gonna drive 30 min one way to cut a yard for $35 then turn around go 30 min drive again to cut another yard at $25???

Newspapers are a waste, just like phonebooks.........get creative

Metro Lawn
02-19-2004, 11:41 PM
We have papers here that only go to certain cities. I only advertise in the cities where I work.. no wasted money or energy.

mow2nd
02-19-2004, 11:59 PM
Thats good, well good luck with it,

I put an ad one time and got calls on the other side of the world, spent my days driving around, will never do that again

wherebluegrassgrows
02-22-2004, 12:15 PM
If you list an ad in the paper include in the ad a general area, East, South and county name. This will cut down on out of area calls. Hope this helps.

Outback Designz
02-22-2004, 01:13 PM
mow2nd, what works for one may not work for all.
Since being creative must be your thing. Help the guy out with some of your ides and what has worked for you.

DUSTYCEDAR
02-22-2004, 01:17 PM
i do i bulk mailing to a large area then i do direct mails to the areas i get work from then i also target areas with local papers
and flyer's if need be i also use lawn signs

Team Gopher
02-23-2004, 06:13 PM
Depending on your budget you can always get some flyers made up and start handing them out around your neighborhood. Let all your friends know you are now in business too :)