PDA

View Full Version : A comment for my critics

chevyman1
02-10-2004, 12:11 PM
a couple of people wrongfully accused me of being a lowballer...just so you know, I just got off the phone with a small business who was paying $40 a week for the mowing services. I stopped in there last week 'cause it's near my house and on the way home, and said "no offense, but last year I think you got ripped off...the guy was mowing your lawn in circles and following the contours of the obstacles, and with a residential Snapper machine, not very professional looking....do you mind if I ask what you paid for that? he then told me the $40 rate, and I explained to him how much better diagonal lines/straight lines would appear, and how critical the trimming around the trees and flowers is, and how that's standard when doing business with my start up company. He asked what the price was, and I told him $45, plus spring and fall cleanups, and he just called back to say sounds good and thanks for looking out for his property. That's what i was trying to convey, hope this helps explain what I can be about

olderthandirt
02-10-2004, 12:42 PM
"they we paying $40 a cut for what will take 1 person around 20 minutes to do....I walked around saw how small it was, told them $35, and signed the contract..."Your Quote, and now you just made that $5 back but you forgot to add all the time running around to just get back to even! And when the next newbie comes along and tell the guy the same thing you have been doing that he's being ripped off at $45 and he can do it for $40 you will lose that one also. So you keep bashing the competition and telling your potential customers that there being ripped off, what goes around comes around, becouse there some kid out there right now reading how you operate.

mac

chevyman1
02-10-2004, 12:50 PM
Sorry sir, but your response makes about as much sense as Howard Dean thinking he's going to win the presidential race...

I spent zero time running around, I stopped in and made the sale...I'll be honest with you dude, it if comes down to sales, myself versus someone else, 9 times outta 10, I'll win. And God forbid I tell the TRUTH to customers and look our for their properties. There is one HUGE rule to follow in sales, and that is, look out for your clients as if you work for them, not just trying to sell them stuff and walk away. I was disgusted all summer when I drove past this business and saw this ding dong mowing in circles and doing a poor job. This guy was impressed I took the time to solve his pain, and come up with a smart solution. That's called Sales account management, and most don't take the time to do it. Have a great day sir

olderthandirt
02-10-2004, 02:19 PM
Last comment on this issue. You stopped in and told a potential,customer that YOU thought that he was being ripped off, infering that the guy was to stupid to know he was getting ripped off. That is not how sales work. Again you asked what he was paying, It does not matter what he was paying, if you believe that you can do a better job you set your own price. What if he had been paying $50 a mow? You don't know, so now your doing it for less than he was paying! Don't be so nieve to believe that all your potential customers are going to tell you the truth. If the guy was in such pain over the quility of the service he was recieving and you run a proffesional quility company The man would have called YOU last yr. Read some of these post these guys are booked for the yr there not out chasing customers and bashing the competition. Set your own price, do quility work and let the customers come to you. Thats how you sales works.

Mac

chevyman1
02-10-2004, 02:30 PM
Have a good day sir, thank you

J&R
02-10-2004, 03:02 PM
If you do top quality work and dependable the customer will come to you.

James Cormier
02-10-2004, 03:31 PM
Chevman.....Why dont you let us know where you are and what is the name of your business?

You gave advise to others that it is okay to pay employee's cash and dont claim all your income, cause as you put it...everone's doing it.
Maybe thats your advantage over your others cause you cheat the system that we all adhear to. Matter of fact I know that's it.

Try paying taxes,on all your income,and your employee's proper insurances,unemployment, WC and see how you do.

If there were less people like you our business would be much better off. Because that company you say is ripping off the customer is most likely doing a legit business and just getting buy because of cheaters like you.

Again tell us where you do business, maybe we can get together to help you budget how to do things right

Jim

crawdad
02-10-2004, 03:38 PM
No one ever looked good by making someone else look bad.
As Mac said, some customers will lie about how much they were paying.
PS
You've still got time to get a Ford before spring!
Crawdad

chevyman1
02-10-2004, 03:55 PM
haha, thanks Crawdad, but no Ford will ever drive me around! James Cormier, you need to understand something sir...I have a full time sales job, this lawn business right now is a side venture....this company is in new, and since it's on the side, it's cool to keep some money under the table. One of my friends might work for me 20 hrs a week or more, and that's how he's getting paid. I'll keep most on the books, but not all. I agree with you that if this is my full time deal, keep it all legal is the way to go. But this is a 40-60 account side business right now, and thus that's how I'm going to work it. I don't feel it's appropriate to give you my information or company name, you are simply looking to try and attack a good guy like me. If you really want the info, you can beg me

James Cormier
02-10-2004, 04:15 PM
Then you cant compete against full time legit business, Next time you go meet your customer be honest with them and tell them this

"this lawn business right now is a side venture....this company is in new, and since it's on the side, it's cool to keep some money under the table. One of my friends might work for me 20 hrs a week or more, and that's how he's getting paid. I'll keep most on the books, but not all."

Then let the customer deciede if the want a full time insured legit business doing there lawn for $40.00 or a part time person doing shady business practices doing it for $35.00.

You stated in past post you are honest with your customers right?

chevyman1
02-10-2004, 04:20 PM
yep, I sure am, and in fact, I tell each one of them that...I even give the residences a chance to pay cash or be billed...if you will go back with me to the part where I said "I tell them the company story" you'd understand....I tell them we are on the rise, hoping to go big time some day....thanks man...how bout those Sox huh? ready for another crushing loss this year?

WeatherMan
02-10-2004, 04:59 PM
Chevyman
This is just 1 quote out of many that I have found where your story changes """"""thanks for assuming the worst about me and trying to rally everyone against me. For your information, I am getting my LLC, I already have insurance, and I am paying my friends on the books. Sounds like a case of jealousy to me dude...let's be friends, not enemies"""""

If you are 26 then grow up a little and you should listen to all the good people on this site like James Cormier and the rest of us that have been in biz for many years you might learn something

chevyman1
02-10-2004, 05:06 PM
paying a fulltime friend was my intention, you are correct...but now I found out how expensive workers' comp is and it's not necessary on residences and my buddy just don't care about it, so I'm saving the cash

chevyman1
02-10-2004, 05:07 PM
I'm not trying to fight with you guys, just trying to make money at something I love too

WeatherMan
02-10-2004, 05:10 PM
I dont think anybody wants to fight with you, but we are trying to give very good advice

chevyman1
02-10-2004, 05:12 PM
thank you sorry I come off bad sometimes

j fisher
02-10-2004, 05:51 PM
[QUOTE][i]

Never mind, I miss read the quote I was responding to.

JB1
02-10-2004, 05:56 PM
your right insurance is to expensive, nobody cares about it till something happens and you then realize that you are glad you got it.

James Cormier
02-10-2004, 05:57 PM
Here's the big nut...Right now you have a full time job, so mowing lawns is gravy to you.
Someday if you ever try to make this your business like you seem to say you do, you will look back at this and see what a big mistake your making and how much your draging down this industry.

I started in Lawn care (fert & squirt) in 85 at 18 years old, All the lawn companies i worked for never mowed, when I started my own I had 2 mowing crews and 1 fert crew, But I couldnt compeat against people like you doing things substandard, so I sold off my mowing business.

I am lucky that we in Lawn Care (fert) dont get much from people like you, customers like knowing the guy putting down products knows what their doing and have proper proctectio, But I feel bad for the legit business in your area.

Like my dad always told me "if you cant do it right, dont do it at all"

hole in one lco
02-10-2004, 06:08 PM
I hope your friend doesn't get hurt will working with you. Without WC he can and probably will sue you for everything.

James Cormier
02-10-2004, 06:12 PM
More important, Im sure he has nothing for the friend to get, so god for bid he gets hurt bad, he's screwed.
Or ends up sueing the customer cause they hired someone with out insurance.

MudslinginFX4
02-10-2004, 06:13 PM
Chevyman, the Ford could make you more money though! I'd listen to Crawdad. Also, Ford is all we drive!

Metro Lawn
02-10-2004, 06:24 PM
I don't get it. You say you have a new business yet your profile says you have been in business for 11 years. You say you don't need workmans comp because your buddy don't care about it. See if he cares when he gets hurt working for you. I could go on and on. I have been doing this for almost 20 years and have done it right since day one. You keep kidding yourself that once you get bigger you'll do it right. You will just keep giving yourself excuses to go a little while longer. Next thing you know, you have been doing it half a$$ for 10 years. I don't even want to get going on this because it really burns me to know that I could have another $100,000 dollars a year in my pocket if I just cheated the government and put my employees at risk, and take the chance of losing everything over some silly accident. Gee.. when will it end?

olderthandirt
02-10-2004, 06:25 PM
Legit business have nothing to fear there customer base is made up of people and companies that only want lco that carry ins. and workers comp. Most commercial accounts want proof of it same with govt. work. so all thats left are the people that price shop or are just plain pita's that the legit co. don't care about and don't want. You might get a good customer once and awhile but then some one will come in thats not paying to be legit and under bid you.

Mac

Kelly's Landscaping
02-10-2004, 09:24 PM
I was disgusted all summer when I drove past this business and saw this ding dong mowing in circles and doing a poor job. This guy was impressed I took the time to solve his pain, and come up with a smart solution. That's called Sales account management, and most don't take the time to do it. Have a great day sir

Most donít have the time to do it. Not every account looks great either some wont pay a dime for fert or weed control and some think they are clever by making you cut every other week. For all you know the guy you just signed up is a slow payer or doesnít pay at all. The one thought that makes someone such as your self acceptable is despite all the noise your make on the lawn site you admit to doing this part time so the reality is maybe you get 70 accounts any bigger and your certainly be needing to cut back on that sales job you got. You know the one where you tell them the truth that if they donít buy your product they got ripped off LOL.

What never seems to make a whole lot of sense is if you are really making 75-100k a year and not just selling that much for your job then why do this trade. It is real work, which is something a sales person knows little about. Are you really not making ends meat with that over paid position?

I don't feel it's appropriate to give you my information or company name, you are simply looking to try and attack a good guy like me. If you really want the info, you can beg me

I didnít request this info but I think its obvious that I donít feel the need to hide who I am and I didnít ask for you to beg for that info either.

Just a friendly word from your critics

Matthew

dishboy
02-10-2004, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by chevyman 1

"this company is in new, and since it's on the side, it's cool to keep some money under the table. One of my friends might work for me 20 hrs a week or more, and that's how he's getting paid. I'll keep most on the books, but not all. I agree with you that if this is my full time deal, keep it all legal is the way to go. But this is a 40-60 account side business right now, and thus that's how I'm going to work it. I don't feel it's appropriate to give you my information or company name, you are simply looking to try and attack a good guy like me. If you really want the info, you can beg me"

Chevyman 1
Since it's cool you won't mind if I forward this thread as well as the others where you admit "its cool to keep some money under the table to the I.R.S. . I think it will take about 20 minites to find out who you really are.

I am not going to do this, just making a point, you might wise up.

Kelly's Landscaping
02-10-2004, 10:58 PM
Dishboy you make a great point I have a friend that got turned in for getting paid under the table at his job for 10 years got wacked with a 200,000 fine and back taxes. IRS gives the person that turns some one in 10% as a reward so that was a 20,000-dollar payday for the little rat. Perhaps Chevy is worried that if some one you knew would do that [in this case it was a co worker] what might happen him here.

olderthandirt
02-11-2004, 12:42 AM
Can't happen becuase the guy all bull, he's just trying to start an argument. He contradicts himself on every other post. Don't fall for it he's probably not in the industry

Mac

KCLandscape
02-11-2004, 12:54 AM
wont you try just a little bit longer...
couldn't you try just a little bir more?

hole in one lco
02-11-2004, 01:22 AM
well it looks like another chevy broke down on the side of the road:D :D :D

chevyman1
02-11-2004, 09:19 AM
he won't sue, he's my cousin and my brother might help too, sorry to disappoint you. And James Cormier, like my Dad always said "Oh well!"....Once again you are a very poor reader. I am NOT, repeat NOT, bringing down the prices...if anything I have clients who I charge a bit too much for too, but you know what, when you are as good as me, it doesn't matter. At 18, I went to college for 4 yrs, and have been in corporate America ever since, and between that and my roots on the farm and working in some lawns and landscapes, I'm what you call the "triple threat"...perhaps you'd like to come see the farm sometime?

PaulJ
02-11-2004, 01:43 PM
Once again, that hated word "scr__" came to mind while reading this. I am not calling anyone any names but it just came to mind. It isn't about what one charges for their work, It isn't about the level of service, or the type of equipment or even the legality of a business or if it's part time or full time. It's an attitude that makes the difference between a professional and a sc___!.

chevyman1
02-11-2004, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the support man, I agree, good shout out!

LAWNPROzII
02-11-2004, 05:03 PM
I could have swore I put you on my ignore list.
When will you learn to bid your own properties and not use someone else's bids. This is what makes you unethical. How can you call yourself a business man if you can't even do your own bids? Anyways for sure you'll be put on the ignore list after this thread.

chevyman1
02-11-2004, 05:12 PM
Thank you sir for the advice LawnProzII.....Thank you for reading some parts of my posts, then making up lies...you have yourself a great week, I'm sure you will. Take care!