PDA

View Full Version : Will I ever ride again?

CJ GreenScapes
02-10-2004, 06:33 PM
Hi guys (and gals)! First of all, I have to say that this site has been a God-send. I have been hooked for about a month and so much is covered I felt no need to post, until now... I am new to be business and I promised my wife that I would not invest a bunch of money, so I am trying to do this on the cheap until I build up some cash flow. What I have now is a John Deere LT155, Snapper 21", Troy Built stick edger, truck, and trailer (I know I look like a Scrub, but please forgive me). The problem I am having is that the last several potential customers I met with would not even hear of me using the riding mower on their lawns. I tried to explain to them that I have to charge more for using the Snapper, but that did not matter and ofcourse I priced myself out of the jobs. I have been looking at the ZTR's for a while and I was wandering if you guys ran into the same problem?

John Gamba
02-10-2004, 07:26 PM
Is that a lawn tractor? And why dont they want it on there lawns?
john

CJ GreenScapes
02-10-2004, 07:33 PM
According to them: the big tires mess up their lawns (they are no bigger than the avg ZTR tires) and they do not like the way the mowing lines look afterwards. I tried to explain that it is not necessarily the mower, but the operator that determines how well a lawn looks....

CNE
02-10-2004, 08:39 PM
Try a walk behind. They are not as heavy as a ZTR and easier to operate on a small yard. I have had trouble with my 60" Exmark ZTR on Centipede leaving bruises. Within a couple of days after mowing you can see burgundy tracks where the tires went. Don't have that problem with my WB.

BSDeality
02-10-2004, 08:49 PM
ditch the garden tractor of a 36-48" walk behind. think used if you can't afford new. I bought my first belt walk behind for $900 and it still runs great. This season i'll be getting a hydro, however i'll keep it as a spare. the walk behinds leave a much better cut as well.

CJ GreenScapes
02-10-2004, 09:03 PM
If I could find a decent WB for @$1000 I wouldn't hesitate. None of the dealers around here have any used wb's. Most of the lco's in my area use ZTRs, so there are plenty of those available. Any suggestions?... I'm not scared to walk, as long as it is not at a snail's (read Snapper's) pace and I get paid for it.

Doc Pete
02-10-2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by CNE
Try a walk behind. They are not as heavy as a ZTR and easier to operate on a small yard. I have had trouble with my 60" Exmark ZTR on Centipede leaving bruises. Within a couple of days after mowing you can see burgundy tracks where the tires went. Don't have that problem with my WB.

Try the Z killer.... Same speed, same size deck, same Horsepower, great cut and 400lbs. lighter.......

BSDeality
02-10-2004, 10:09 PM
check out the dealers again when the growing season really gets fired up, i bet more somone will have a trade-in they'd sell you. keep in mind $1000 is still pretty cheap for a WB. Also, do you have a classifieds paper down there?

ollie212@tds.net
02-10-2004, 11:57 PM
Try Junktank.com They have many used mowers for sale on the website. For a rider i have found the 52" toro z-master.they are very mobile and verstile. If you can afford new but new .

Straight Line Mowing Inc.

CJ GreenScapes
02-11-2004, 12:11 AM
Classifieds? Ain't dat dem things that lawyers carry in dem fancy satchels? Yeah, we got um, but I'm not so sure he will take kindly to me takin a look at em... Sorry BSDeality, I couldn't resist. I love to play the typical southern red neck every chance I get. I deal with people all over the country in my other business, and everytime they hear my Alabama accent, they start talking slower...lol... Seriously, thanks ya'll for all of your help!