PDA

View Full Version : new to business

ej Landscaping
02-12-2004, 05:39 PM
I am new to the business (residential maintenance and small install jobs) and we (partner is my brother) are setting everything up to be a legitimate company, and things are going well. We are just wondering how ya'll got started.

1. how many clients did you start with
2. how many did you have after 2 months and so on
and
3. what is the average cost per cut on...oh lets say 4,000 sqft.

thanks for the input

scottknussmann
02-12-2004, 08:03 PM
i just got started also, be ready to find a lawyer and accountant before anything, just helps everything go smooth. Also, apply for your sales tax permit and your nursery floral certificate now, as it takes a while for the state to process them. I am still waiting, and its been over a month...Right now i have 12 clients, and need more. I charge about 35 dollars a man hour, so if it takes 2 people one hour to do a yard, then i charge 70...small yards i charge a minimum of $35.00 Hope some of this helps? Also, what type of legitimate co. are you thinking? I have an LLC and have been pleased so far....later

ej Landscaping
02-13-2004, 02:35 PM
Scott,

thanks for responding, and the info did help. I know it does take a while for things to get going, we have been stuck on a licence or two ourselves. we are also an LLC and we have had zero problems with it.
thanks for the hourly numbers also, they are just about what we going to charge out here, $35 a cut.
another question scott, have you landed any jobs doing irrigation install? it just seems to me that there are a lot of homes going up in the cookie cutter type fashion and they all have to eventually have irrigation and landscape. Have you landed any of these and if so what would you charge, and most importantly what would you take home? (after tax and overhead)

twins_lawn_care
02-13-2004, 03:54 PM
1) 1
2) 4
3) $25

I am still quite small, but plan to double in size this year. Other thing is I am getting a lot of exposure from one time jobs, clean ups, and bushes. I am hoping to hit the 10 all year customer mark this year, along with my first commercial property.

Good luck with the business!

precisioncut
02-13-2004, 07:51 PM
ej Landscaping-In Salt Lake huh? I'm down in St. George. I'm just begining this year as well. Min price for a postage yard is around $15! Really low but that's the going min. and people know it!

Personally, I don't do irrigation installs yet but I do repairs. The best way to find the most information on this site is to use the search button and type in what you want ot know.

Best of luck to ya and PM me if you have any further questions I could help you with.

Wells
02-13-2004, 09:56 PM
ej landscaping,

What part of SLC are you from?
If you have any questions that specifically pertain to Utah, feel free to ask precisioncut or myself. We're about the only two people from Utah that I see on here regularly.

and welcome to the site.

Exess100
02-16-2004, 03:29 PM
Hey guys,

I'm new to the board and to the biz. I have been reading the board for 2 streight hours. I'm learning alot. THANKS.
My borther and I are starting in the begining of March, just the other day we picked up our flyers (1000 of them) and got out about 200. We already got 2 calls. We are excited. This the first time we'r trying this. We are starting this as a part time biz and hoping for the best. I'm looking for a little info on estimating and "quality of work". Is there a basic "rule" or "out line" for estimating clean up's and then genral mantinance? Does it go by hours or area or both? I'v noticed that alot of guys are mentioning their "quality of work". I'm looking for your opinions on what that means and how do you achieve that? To me cutting a lawn is cutting a lawn and picking up debri and leaves is just that. I only think that way because i dont know any better...YET. LOL How do you guys put a twist on this and make it good quality job? Any insight from you "vets" out there would be VERY HELPFUL. Thanks for your help in advance.

Elwood #8
02-16-2004, 04:18 PM
Excess 100, In this business, you are selling TIME.

As for mowing, the quality of job you do will carry your company a long way or sink it. Keep clippings out of beds and off buildings. "Keep the grass, in the grass." A good job string trimming will make the job. Give them their monies worth!

batdaddy044
02-16-2004, 08:59 PM
Always do a mowing/trimming job that you can be proud of. Be sure to weedeat/trim around fences,structures,trees,etc. without causing any damage.A blower for a thorough clean-up(off drives,walks,flower/shrub beds,etc.)Quality is everything in this business.I haven't advertised since 1995,but by letting my work sell itself(along with word of mouth) I stay booked at capacity every season.Even when I upgrade/buy bigger additional equipment this is so.

mow2nd
02-19-2004, 01:22 AM

non traditional marketing system, but it worked for me...........later

MOturkey
02-20-2004, 10:42 PM
I'm new to this forum, and a neophyte in the mowing business as well. I've helped a friend for the past few years who has a part-time business, and decided to get into it myself on a part time basis. My plans are to retire from my day job in 4 years, and am hoping to build my business to bolster my retirement income.

I've read a bit on this site, and heard from others about minimum charges of $35 and trying to make a buck a minute, but in this area, at least in the majority of the residential work, I don't think that is possible. I believe I need to bring in $30 to $35 an hour to make the business profitable. I am guessing at total operating costs of around $10 per hour on my Gravely 250Z, and miscellaneous expenses of $5 per hour or less (for now, at least, I'm working on my own), including mileage, etc. Does this sound reasonable? Any input would be appreciated.

I'm planning on limiting my business to mowing and perhaps the occasional leaf or pruning job. I have no desire to get into landscaping per se (especially at my age!). I am striving to do high quality work, and hope that will be the basis upon which my business will grow. Neill