PDA

View Full Version : do i need a licence

lawnhead
02-12-2004, 08:28 PM
do i need a special applicators licence for organic applications as you do for chemicals and pesticides? (connecticut). thanks

mikesturf
02-12-2004, 10:31 PM
In most states, you need a license if you are using anything that prevents pests/weeds, etc. Check with your local Extension Office.

Darryl G
02-12-2004, 11:28 PM
You'll find all your answers right here. http://www.dep.state.ct.us/wst/pesticides/index.htm

And yes, you need to be licensed for using organics too. All you can do without a license is fertilize, and only ferts without pesticides in them. If you are solo, then you need the supervisor license too. And if you sub it, you still need to be registered.

I suppose if all you're going to be doing is spreading manure, you wouldn't need one.:)

indmowing
02-12-2004, 11:51 PM
Sounds like you guys have stricter licensing requirements then even our strictest state here in Australia.

I presume that you require licenses to spray/apply the mentioned applications FOR GAIN OR PROFIT?

So any home owner could go buy some weed killer off the shelf and spray to their hearts content, but if you want to offer the service as part of your profession and charge teh client for your time you have to be licensed.

My assumption would be that there would be a lot more damage done by homeowners and totally clueless people out there then would be done by contractors (assuming that care will be taken and that you will conduct yourself in a professional manner if only because it is a service offered by your business and every service you offer is done with care and thought is put into it, and I would think a good percentage of contractors do not offer services which they can not fulfil or that risk affecting their reputation).

Just a thought I found of interest. Most states here in Australia do not require a contractor to hold a license for applying SMALL AMOUNTS of low risk products. But at the same time a lot only give exemptions if you have done a short course.

Take Care All

Ebony

Darryl G
02-13-2004, 12:01 AM
Ebony - Your assumptions are correct and I think that's a pretty fair assessment. Unfortunately, that's the way things work over here.

In my state, there used to be an exemption for applying pesticides to less than 100 square feet, so you could still use round-up for sidewalks and such. However, I recently tried to find that exemption in the regulations but couldn't, so I think they changed it.

Dchall_San_Antonio
02-13-2004, 11:13 AM
If all you're doing is spreading manure, then you should spend more time reading the "read me's" at the top of this forum. Manure is not a lawn product. It is an ingredient in compost.