PDA

View Full Version : Procedure for Aerating

alpine692003
02-12-2004, 10:20 PM
Hey guys, I was wondering I really dont know how to aerate but I know what aerating is! Can you guys direct me to the correct method of aerating?

.. When do you aerate? Warm weather with sun, cloudy periods?

Step 1: Mow lawn

Step 2: Use the aerator and aerate
(Which then leaves plugs onto the ground, do you just leave the plugs on the ground or do you remove it?)

Step 3: After aerating do you spread grass seed or fertlizer, if you do the latter which type of fertlizer do you use? 29-3-4?

Step 4: water it in!

Then you wait for results, if so how long?

workaholic
02-12-2004, 10:56 PM
The corret procedure to areate is fill it with fuel pull that rope and engage the machine to move in a forward motion just dont forget to walk behind it hehehehaha. just pulling your chain. areateing a lawn can be done in the spring and fall just make sure the lawn is not wet or damp. I would suggest not picking up the plugs because they will brake down from mowing the lawn. The reason for doing what your asking is to relieve compaction and letting air water and nutrients go to the root zone. fertilizing can be done after areating but the best thing to do would be to do a soil test to find out what the lawn is lacking. Seeding would not be my choice after areating because well seed just wont germanate real well. now overseeding with a slit seeder is a practiced culture that works well.areating can be difficult with the wrong machine, but to do this correctly areate in a criss cross pattern and let mother nature take its course

MudslinginFX4
02-12-2004, 11:01 PM
Workaholic said it best. The one other thing I would like to add is (atleast around here in NC) aerating will have better effects if it is done in the Fall if you are going to overseed at the same time. I live on a golf course and they aerate both in the fall and the spring though.

hole in one lco
02-12-2004, 11:27 PM
Don't forget to flag sprinkler heads.

Lawn Dog2001
02-12-2004, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by alpine692003
Hey guys, I was wondering I really dont know how to aerate but I know what aerating is! Can you guys direct me to the correct method of aerating?

.. When do you aerate? Warm weather with sun, cloudy periods?

(Which then leaves plugs onto the ground, do you just leave the plugs on the ground or do you remove it?)

Step 3: After aerating do you spread grass seed or fertilizer, if you do the latter which type of fertilizer do you use? 29-3-4?

Step 4: water it in!

Then you wait for results, if so how long?

Aeration is generally done in the Spring and in the Fall.

#1 Yes I would mow the lawn first. This is most necessary when over-seeding. If Im aerating for a regular grass cutting customer, I cut the lawn generally low before I over-seed.

#2 No do not rake up the cores. That actually defeats some of the purpose of aerating the lawn.

#3 That depends on what the customer pays you to do. I have accounts that want aeration only. The majority of my accounts want seed and fert as well.

#4 If you are seeding that yes it should be watered. I leave specific watering instructions with my customers after ever aeration and over-seeding.

Results will vary with weather conditions, and depending on how often your customers chose to water.

alpine692003
02-13-2004, 12:33 AM
Thanks for your answer guys!

Step 3: After aerating do you spread grass seed or fertilizer, if you do the latter which type of fertilizer do you use? 29-3-4?

-- If they want aeration only;

a) After aerating and the plugs are on the ground do I water it or do I just leave it on the ground to break down?

b) Afer that's complete, how long do I wait until I mow the lawn again after aerating?

alpine692003
02-13-2004, 01:05 AM
bah ... I've found my answers through the SEARCH METHOD..

How much do you guys charge to aerate?

I see $12 per 1000 sq feet.. is that what you guys charge?

I have a 14,000 sq feet church, so I would charge $168?? that seem right?

alpine692003
02-13-2004, 03:33 AM
How much would you guys charge to do that?

14,000 sq feet.

Aerate
Starter Fertlizer
overseed

Also, would you guys recommend doing this all in 1 day or separate the services?

Day 1: aerate
Day 2: starter, overseed?

chefdrp
02-13-2004, 12:02 PM
I sometimes triple my mowing price. works out pretty good.

rkbrown
02-13-2004, 12:43 PM
As a general rule, I do what Chef does...triple mowing price as a starting place.

bobbygedd
02-13-2004, 12:53 PM
alpine, u gonna aerate and seed 14 k, this spring?

alpine692003
02-13-2004, 01:36 PM
bobby - yep!

I'm just figuring out how to price it..

bobbygedd
02-13-2004, 01:42 PM
hmmm. i'd go about $40 per k, aerate, seed, starter. also a little advice. if u r doing this to 14 k in spring, get paid cash, no reciept, and don't give them a phone number where u can be reached.

alpine692003
02-13-2004, 01:44 PM
I know now!

By the way guys, forgot to mention!

I dont have a pesticide applicators license and I heard that you might need to spray pesticide for seeding or something simliar to that?

I might be doing this on a 14k property.. It has weed and moss already!

Can you describe that to me, someone?

alpine692003
02-13-2004, 02:10 PM
Spray for weeds, I meant..

The property has some weeds and moss on it! I was thinking about hiring a pesticide applicator to spray it, wait a few weeks and then aerate,seed,fert!

What do you guys think?

alpine692003
02-13-2004, 03:35 PM
Question and if you know the answer to it!

The property is 14k, has some weed/moss on it.. I was thinking about hiring a pesticide applicator to control/kill the weed because I dont have a pesticide license!

Do you think I should wait a few weeks after the pesticide, then aerate,seed, fert or

Should I just aerate and forget about the seeding/fert til fall?

Pal Meadows
02-13-2004, 04:30 PM
Seeding & fertilizing are fairly good money makers, but be careful. In NJ a pesticide license is "required" if you place any weed deterring or pesticide on the turf.
I learned that the hard way.
I then got certified and all is OK.
My advice, get yourself certified for pesticide and do the work yourself. Cuts down overhead for hiring P.C.A. and increases profitability for future.
I always do aeration prior to seeding of fertilizing in the spring & fall. Works great and kept with it.
Good luck...

workaholic
02-13-2004, 09:14 PM
If you plan on doing any fertilizing or pest apps. You must be licenced. If you are not and you cause any problems like any neighbors that live in the area that your doing work for and they are on the hypersentivity lists and they have a reaction to the pesticide that your using your ass is grass and the only thing you will have to cut is your behind. Alot of stipulations are involved in granulated fert. and spray apps. So get licenced or leave it to someone who is. Im not being harsh on you just telling you how it is...