PDA

View Full Version : Alright guys how do you do it?

Craftybigdog
02-12-2004, 09:45 PM
Well this will be my third year and I would like to know what the skinny is on breaking into the commercial world. How do you go about doing it? Any inputs will be greatly appreciated!

MudslinginFX4
02-12-2004, 09:56 PM
Find some properties you are intrested in and go talk to them. Find out when they will take new bids etc... Leave them a flyer, brochure, and business card if at all possible. You want to get your name out to them and let them know you are professional. Good luck!

J Hisch
02-12-2004, 09:59 PM
Let's put it out there. There is no secret formula, tactic, or tirck in getting commercial work. You simply audit their property. make suggested improvement in writing and submit your bid. The next thing is simply a phone book ad. when they are looking for bids they will call you.

J Hisch
02-12-2004, 10:00 PM
Sean this was posted in no offense to your suggestion these are just mine.

Lawn Services Plus
02-13-2004, 12:10 AM
Im trying some ideas on this topic and if they work I will let
you know. Question: who would be the person to address
a bid request to at a church? (title) I assume it would be a board or panel -I live in rural Georgia and there small churches everywhere .Like to hear pros and cons on bidding on these.

hole in one lco
02-13-2004, 12:54 AM
heres my theory

Its not always what you know but who you know.

Phishook
02-13-2004, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by hole in one lco
heres my theory

Its not always what you know but who you know.

yep.

J Hisch
02-13-2004, 09:11 AM
I would tend to agree to that statement. It also helps when you maintain some of the most visible properties around town.

sgreanbean
02-13-2004, 09:21 AM
keep in mine that some of these companys do not want a beautiful landscape project! they want the bare minimum to get the city off their back, make sure you find this out before you turn a bid in.

terracare
02-13-2004, 09:26 AM
Most of the time it is who you know. We maintain the hospital in town because we knew the retiring groundskeeper very well and he suggested to the head of maintenance to give us a try. Also, as far as new construction of commercial accounts, a lot of times your residential customers will know the owner or builder and you can get your name in that way. You will start running into price wars when you start bidding on commercials that take bids every year. You better be damn sure you know ALL your costs before you start to play that game.

Good Luck,

Todd

maal
02-13-2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Phishook
yep.

or better yet, it's who knows you."

James Cormier
02-13-2004, 01:58 PM
Theres many ways, but most of all you gotta be a salesman, not a landscaper. Join local business groups, Rotary clubs, lions clubs get to know as many businessmen in your area, then start knocking on doors, When I was director of marketing for some larger companies we had full time several salesman just walking into businesses and trying to sell our services. Put on a suit and tie and go get them, if your gonna wait for people to call you, then you wont get much and the ones youll get are just price shopping.