PDA

View Full Version : Is this a scam?

drains
02-12-2004, 11:38 PM
Anybody think this is a scam? I wrote and this person claims the mower is in the Czech Republic.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2379432684&category=50377

DUSTYCEDAR
02-12-2004, 11:39 PM
YES------------------

pjslawncare/landscap
02-12-2004, 11:47 PM
Run, dont walk from this one!

R&K Ent.
02-12-2004, 11:57 PM
Doesn't ebay have some kinda policy against fraud or give you some course of action.

drains
02-13-2004, 12:08 AM
I reported it to Ebay. They are usually good about pulling ads that are suspicious, at least when they get reported. Thanks

oleo
02-13-2004, 12:17 AM
SCAM FOR SURE! GERMANY????? FREE SHIPPING - COME ON NOW!

Jason Pallas
02-13-2004, 12:18 AM
I totally agree that this looks suspicious. I looked at the ad before I even read this thread - as it caught my eye too. I certainly wouldn't bid on it BUT how can you tell it's a scam. It maybe just a very poorly written auction. Don't get me wrong, I'm very leary of the auction but I just wanted to know if I was missing something that gives this away for sure as a scam. Thanks for the education.

BTW - I emailed seller some questions about this - I'll keep you posted.

pjslawncare/landscap
02-13-2004, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by R&K Ent.
Doesn't ebay have some kinda policy against fraud or give you some course of action.

These guys usually try to offer you a "better" deal if you wire money to them. They will end the auction early and deal with you (excluding e-bay) so then e-bay cant help resolve anything because you didnt use them. Of coarse there are several other ways they use to get into your pockets if your now on top of them. Like the ol saying goes "if it seems too good to be true, it probably is". If it isnt in the USA, watch out!

matthew horner
02-13-2004, 12:45 AM
He said I could wire money to him via western union, and asked for my full name etc for extra info. I did'nt provide it, and asked where the mowers were and why he did'nt have pic and where did he get them etc. He has'nt responded.
Matt BUT I NEED ONE SO BAD:o

drains
02-13-2004, 12:57 AM
The ad hasn't been pulled yet but maybe if enough of us report it to Ebay they might pull the ad soon. I reported it earlier so maybe if a few more would it might save some poor guy or gal some money and grief. I want an Exmark Turf Tracer 52" 23 hp kaw. real bad though. ; )

I MOW ALONE
02-13-2004, 01:51 AM
since were on the subject. has anyone used secure pay for such high dollar transactions. i have thought of using it before but im still leary dealing with such expensive items and so many scams on ebay. i have e-mailed many people about things like mowers or motorcycles and the first thing that i ask them is if they accept secure pay. and if its a scam they never respond or they act like they have never heard of it before. so if anyone has used secure pay before please post your experience using them.

matthew horner
02-13-2004, 01:56 AM
I MOW ALONE is your name a spoof on the marty robbins song I walk alone? If it is, good job, he's awesome, if not, your late!! Just kidding. I've not used secure pay but have made multiple purchases and sales over 1K on ebay. Just get a feel for the person, and make sure you have many options of payment. Its good to use paypal, although its expensive the higher you go, but its documented, and verified etc.
Matt PS---got any riders for sale?

Hawkeye5
02-13-2004, 10:23 AM
A friends son was recently ripped off in a overseas deal on some construction equipment. It was not ebay, and the young man actually works for a bank in a repo construction property disposal unit. He works in this environment every day and was ripped off. Nuff said?

DLCS
02-13-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by oleo
SCAM FOR SURE! GERMANY????? FREE SHIPPING - COME ON NOW!

The ad says free shipping if you choose his "buy now". I'm sure the shipping is just tacked on to the buy now plan. Now if your the high bidder, you must pay shipping.
Just because he is overseas doesn't always mean its a scam.

adbradley
02-13-2004, 11:21 AM
Funny how his feedback shows he has sold only 3 items and all of them were "Private" auctions. Not to mention they were all sold to Germans. Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is...

GBCS
02-13-2004, 11:26 AM
The reason the ad has not been pulled could be because of this.

Feedback Score: 534
Positive Feedback: 99.8%
Member since Feb-04-03 in Germany

DLCS
02-13-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by adbradley
Funny how his feedback shows he has sold only 3 items and all of them were "Private" auctions. Not to mention they were all sold to Germans. Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is...

He has only 3 items listed on Ebay right now. He lives in Germany so I bet thats why he has sold to mostly Germans. Just like I only buy from sellers in the USA. I admit the private auction thing is a little funny but that doesn't make him a scam.

Shultz
02-13-2004, 02:13 PM
Thats right, He has sold 534 items. and has 3 items listed, including the mower that's relisted. Shipping on an item like this if he crates it will cost $500-700 by slow boat, meaning 3-4 weeks. I just sold a jet ski to a person in Sweeden, he paid to have it crated, and DHL Intl came to pick it up with a truck......why couldn't someone local buy it?
Maybe his reserve and uy it now are high due to the mower being in German markets....don't forget, things are much more expensive there than in the US. My 2 cents

sgrprincees
02-13-2004, 03:27 PM
Lots of people have had their accounts hijacked, so don't be too confident just because it has had good feedback in the past.

drains
02-13-2004, 07:31 PM
Here is an earlier thread about mower scams on ebay from Germany and such. Some good info here.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60575&highlight=scam

brucec32
02-14-2004, 12:43 AM
Scam probably. Note the Lack of details in the ad. Would you just copy some brochure facts if you were selling a Lazer Z? Also, the Private bidders are suspicious. That might be to keep you from seeing that the feedback is from the same buyer, a sign of shill bidding. I see that many of the feedback items are clothing. Who sells mowers and clothes?

Sometimes people with decent feedback histories will get in money trouble and "shoot for the stars" in one blast of fraud to get as much as they can before Ebay shuts them down. I was ripped off once over a $60 item from a guy who had been great till then. Then I noticed a slew of negative feedbacks. The guy had just taken the money and run from a dozen people.

Others will fake transactions with themselves (shill bidding) to develop phoney feedback on big items to make you trust them more.

There are as many sneaky ways to do ripoffs on Ebay as you can imagine. I would advise steering clear of anything that is out of the ordinary.

-can you call this person before bidding?
-does the seller accept escrow? Not doing so is a big tipoff that it's a ripoff. Escrow is easy and only adds a few days to the time it takes to get paid, and costs the seller nothing if you pay the fees.

But most of all, on this one....how is he gonna be competitive selling you a mower he has to literally ship overseas to you? Unless it's stolen, in which case you don't want it anyway.

DLCS
02-14-2004, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by brucec32

But most of all, on this one....how is he gonna be competitive selling you a mower he has to literally ship overseas to you? Unless it's stolen, in which case you don't want it anyway.

Maybe he figures someone from his area will bid on the mower.

brucec32
02-14-2004, 02:39 AM
Yeah, he advertises an American made mower in English on a primarily American website hoping to sell it to Germans. That makes a lot of sense.

DLCS
02-14-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by brucec32
Yeah, he advertises an American made mower in English on a primarily American website hoping to sell it to Germans. That makes a lot of sense.

Ebay maybe Amercican website but it is know worldwide and lots of bidders and sellers worldwide too. I think his ad does sound fishy, i wouldn't bid on it, but just because he is from Germany doesn't make him a scam. Yes there are plenty of American made mowers overseas.

Lawn Dog2001
02-14-2004, 11:03 AM
I dont know if its a scam or not. But I sure wouldnt trust it. Ship from Germany? No pics? Poor discription? If someone buys that mower you deserve what you get, which probably will be nothing.

GTLC
02-14-2004, 11:22 AM
oh i may think so, and anyway I don't even consider bidding on anything unless it has a picture.