PDA

View Full Version : Toro SFS & aftermarket blades

GreenMonster
02-13-2004, 12:41 PM
I've heard a lot of poor feedback on the Toro SFS decks. Has anybody tried them with Meg-Mo, or other aftermarket blades? If so, do they help with clumping and large clippings?

NCSULandscaper
02-13-2004, 01:16 PM
I have never had the problem of clumping with that deck ever. I use aftermarket blades, high lift, medium lift regular blades and "gator" type blades.

BobR
02-14-2004, 05:33 PM
Nothing wrong with the TORO SFS decks, the design is to cut and eject the clippings and to that end they do a fine job. You might have to make a second pass on the lawn occasionally (after the first pass dries) to make the clippings disappear but that is true of a lot of deck designs. IMHO the only weakness of SFS is that it is a stamped steel deck with welded reinforcement at the stress points and will not take a beating like a fabricated steel deck.

BobR

edward hedrick
02-14-2004, 09:12 PM
I have a 52 Toro old style w 18 Koh. use hi lift blades from

Toro or from Lesco. Tried standard, went back to hi lift. In fall

Gators and put longer bolts in chute bracket holes. ED

soccerlawn
02-27-2004, 08:05 PM
I just use regular blades and the sfs deck cut fine, occasionaly I have to duoble cut even though the grass is not overly high, but that is the only complaint that I have.

lonnie
02-27-2004, 11:32 PM
My SFS will brushhog better than anything but is not very good at mulching.

edward hedrick
02-28-2004, 08:22 AM
Lonnie: for leaf mulching try gator or atomic blades. Also look for holes in the deck, there are 4 holes for chute I turn them over,

put the nutunder the deck. There are a few more. This slows the leaves. More cutting. Ed

lonnie
02-28-2004, 11:29 PM
Yeah, I use gators but still not what I expect. I'm thinking about trying some meg-mo's.

C.T. Lawn Care
02-28-2004, 11:41 PM
i love my toro SFS deck... so what if u have to cut it twice... just charge for double cutting.. what i do is charge 1.5x if i have to double cut... customers dont complain becasue they like the look after i have gone over it and there is nothing on the surface. As far as blades, i use the standard solid foil blades that u get from the toro dealer. the cut is great and it can cut the tallest grass with minimal effort. i also have the "atomic mulching blades" that do a great job on mulching leaves.. i dont have a mulching kit either. I think that the people that bad mouth this deck either a) dont know that they are talkin about, b) dont know how to use it, or c) have their mind set on a different mower and complain about the one they have so that the wife will be like get a different one so i dont have to hear you B###h. just my .02 cents