PDA

View Full Version : You wanna talk about scrubs!

Lawn Dog2001
02-13-2004, 06:53 PM
There is this moron who has a couple of accounts in my neighborhood. Real class act operation. 1984 Chevy S10 rusted through to the frame, 15 year old Toro 36", bent shaft weed eater trimmers, and of course a shop broom for blowing:D .

I have seen them working a few times in the area. I usually waive. One time they got in trouble for trying to dump there grass in the woods behind my house illegally.

Well anyways, last night I was throwing out some old junk for trash day. I threw out this old spreader I have had for years. I was planning to strip it down for the pneumatic wheels and hopper which were in descent shape, but it was taking up space so I pitched it. Frame was rusted through pretty bad.

Anyway I eating my grape nuts in front of the Dinning room window this morning and guess what I see. This beat up S-10 pulled up in front of my house. Guy jumps out of the passenger side, sprints to the spreader, throws it in the truck, and then hops in the bed with it for the fast getaway. Guy sped out of here like he just robbed a bank.

I have never really been one to call someone a scrub. But this guy I will. I cant wait to see this guy doing illegal pest apps in front of my house this Spring. :angry: .

If the guy had knocked at the door and said, hey do you mind if I try to salvage that spreader. No problem. But he didnt. He literally picked through my garbage and stole. It. Unbelievable.:confused:

metro-hp_48
02-13-2004, 06:58 PM
Can you actually "steal" something out of a trash can?

Lawn Dog2001
02-13-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by metro-hp_48

I guess he really didnt steal it. I was throwing it out anyway. A
simple "Hey mind if I take this?" would have been cool.

metro-hp_48
02-13-2004, 07:14 PM
Most deff. I would give the shirt of my back (and have) and they wouldn't have to ask (friends, family, and if I think are needy.
BUT, I wouldn't want anybody taking something of mine, even if it was in my trashcan. He deff. should of had enough curtisy to ask you, regardless. (much less his "great excape" bet it was kinda funny to watch him flee. Maybe that one part off the spreader, will be the one thing that can get his life turned around, and he can be on his way to becoming a pro. (but we both know he won't, and just be thankful the shoe is on the other foot. (I see that all the time...... ;-)

Lawn Dog2001
02-13-2004, 07:23 PM
Most deff. (much less his "great excape" bet it was kinda funny to watch him flee.

Thats the thing. It was one of the funniest things I have ever seen. Im not really mad about it. When I saw that this morning the first thing I though about was this site, and how everyones always talking about scrubs.

ksland
02-13-2004, 07:30 PM
I am sorry, I will return your spreader tomorrow

metro-hp_48
02-13-2004, 07:32 PM
Me too. Most times I wish I had a camera with me, so I could share with the group! See some amazing things, everywhere, everyday. (I remember the first time I ever saw a bag lady pushing a buggy down the street. nothing unusual, but she had a cell phone.. KNEW it was time for me to get one. (true story)

precisioncut
02-13-2004, 07:38 PM
Are you calling them a scrub because they took the spreader out of the trash or because they have a beat up truck and older equipment? They could just be in there humble beginings like the rest of us started, or do you know the whole story behind it?

metro-hp_48
02-13-2004, 07:39 PM
well get a phone, that is. not a bag lady "let me make that perfectly clear" he he he

Kingbman1
02-13-2004, 07:42 PM
thats too funny, sounds something i would do haha. Anyways we have a guy around here on every trash night he drives around in a little beat up mazda truck going neighborhood to neighborhood taking stuff out of peoples trash. I found out were he lives, you should see the amount of sh*t is his garage.

Lawn Dog2001
02-13-2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by ksland
I am sorry, I will return your spreader tomorrow

Keep it. I have been tripping over the thing for at least two years.:D

Lawn Dog2001
02-13-2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by precisioncut
Are you calling them a scrub because they took the spreader out of the trash or because they have a beat up truck and older equipment? They could just be in there humble beginings like the rest of us started, or do you know the whole story behind it?

Im usually not one to call anyone a scrub. But I have seen these people do some pretty unprofessional things last year, and this is just another.

That spreader costs only $50 bucks brand new at Lowes. The stand for it rusted off and is gone and the frame is cracked in several places. If he would have just asked I have an old plastic wheeled one in good condition, that I would have gave him. Its the way they went about it that is comical to me.

Green Pastures
02-13-2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Lawn Dog2001
You wanna talk about scrubs!

No.

;)

ProMo
02-13-2004, 08:20 PM
some people down the street from me were having a yard sale and my son wanted to go see what they had. I got to looking around and a lot of items looked familiar.stuff I had thrown away over the years sitting in their yard with a price tag on it.

lawnman_scott
02-13-2004, 08:58 PM
My neighbors threw away some old tires a few weeks ago. It was so amusing to sit and watch the people stopping in the road and running out to look at them. One guy evan had a flashlight (I guess he wanted to make sure the size was right on his free junk tires). It was so funny, i almost want to go out and get some tires to put in front of the house for comedy.

dgram8
02-13-2004, 09:02 PM

If you get caught digging in the trash here it is against the law, it is considered city property when you put it in or beside the dumpster. It was made a law when people would dig in the dumpster and leave a mess on the ground, also would dig in the dumpsters behind stores and try an return merchandise.

bastalker
02-13-2004, 09:13 PM
Some people just do what they gotta do to get by....Dont hold it against them.

Walk a few miles in thier shoes, then you can judge them.....

pcnservices
02-13-2004, 09:15 PM
Trash hunting - people around here do it all the time . Once a year the city do a spring cleanup and residents can put old furniture and appliances and stuff on the curb and the city will collect and dump it at no charge. The trash hunters go during daytime and some save themselves the embarresment and go at night under the cover of darkness when people cannot see them and they collect all the sh!% you trashed.

I just cannot see how they can pile up trash other people dumped. It's a sickness - like garage sales. People buy stuff they dont need just because they have to.

Del9175
02-13-2004, 09:44 PM
If I have some junk laying around that I think will be of some value to someone, I will put it out by the road a day or two early. Its usually never there more than a few hours. I for one would not want to be bothered with someone coming up to my door to ask permission to take my junk.

I pulled up to one of my customers house and she had these really nice shelf units sitting out by the road. They were metal with glass shelves in perfect condition. She came out and said she was throwing them out and if I wanted them to take them. Seeing how that was the last job for the day I said "OK". They are still in use today and really classed my place up. :)

Olylawnboy
02-14-2004, 05:07 AM
Same here as dgram8 said. When you put stuff out for the trash it becomes city property and one could be charged with theft by taking it. However if you put a sign out with it that says "free" it can be had by anyone till the truck comes to take it away.

lawnman_scott
02-14-2004, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Olylawnboy
Same here as dgram8 said. When you put stuff out for the trash it becomes city property and one could be charged with theft by taking it. However if you put a sign out with it that says "free" it can be had by anyone till the truck comes to take it away.

I would have to say that the city council in Oly WA has way too much time on their hands, and are far too power hungry. Now they are legislating who owns the trash? Sounds like they might be one of the next cities to ban blowers, or gas lawnmowers.