PDA

View Full Version : spring cleanups. customers only????

bobbygedd
02-13-2004, 07:55 PM
do you guys offer spring cleanups as a service to anybody who asks, or only to mowing customers? spring cleanups stink, everything is wet, matted down, scattered all over the place, needs to be hand raked, and usually alot of hauling is involved. i have, in the past, had people call my add just for spring cleanup, nothing else. well, i aint doin it anymore. scu from now on is only for regular customers. how bout you?

j fisher
02-13-2004, 08:07 PM
I'll take them early, before my regular seasonal work picks up, which is normally mid March. After that they have to sign up for regular service to get the clean up.

MudslinginFX4
02-13-2004, 08:09 PM
I offer cleanups to anyone and everyone who wants them. This is one of my bigges times of the year other then fall when we are doing aerating/split seeding etc... I however, will not do a spring cleanup unless it is above $300 but most of them are around $500- $800. I hire part time help during this time to get it all done.

turf9
02-13-2004, 08:42 PM
Wow how long does a $800 one take I have raise it up a notch I think. And I'm with you Bobby one misery of them

Turfdude
02-13-2004, 08:56 PM
I'm w/ you Bobby. Reserve this service for regulars only and one's signing on for full service now. Theres already enough work to do w/ mulching, landscaping, fertilizing & liming. BTW, this year, I think I'm investing in 2 JRCO rakes (36 & 48 machines) Roddy swears by 'em. He stopped by today for a tour of my shop & treated me 2 lunch. Wish you would have accompanied him.

bastalker
02-13-2004, 09:08 PM
I'm with ya too bobby. Only do it for regular customers, or ones that will sign with me for the year. Your absolutely right about it bein a big pain in the a$$.....I dont have the time to clean up the one timers. I will make the time for the customers that want to sign for the year though.

hole in one lco
02-13-2004, 09:26 PM
If its a one time thing you will pay top dollar 35.0 is my hr one time anything 75.0hr ..

MudslinginFX4
02-13-2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by turf9
Wow how long does a $800 one take I have raise it up a notch I think. And I'm with you Bobby one misery of them

It might not take as long as you think.... when I say $800 I am refering to everything we do, pinestraw, mulch, etc... One of the big reasons I choose to do spring cleanups for everyone and not just current customers is becuase I have actually gotten several full time customers from starting out with a spring cleanup. Also, I don't find it hard to get cheap labor (a lot of high school friends and college friends I have), I can take 3 or 4 guys with me to a yard and have them do the cleanup.

turf9
02-13-2004, 10:25 PM
Fair enough ECM

bobbygedd
02-13-2004, 10:39 PM
yea turfdude, i would have came, but rod is so rude, he never invited me. and this one time, we were supposed to go out to dinner to this portuguese place, and he stood me up. unless, maybe he got that alzhiemers from being too old

paponte
02-13-2004, 10:55 PM
How can you offer a service that you provide... but only to certain customers only? If you provide a service, you provide it... right? No strings attached?

As far as hand raking them, maybe thats why you dread them so much. Maybe it's time to invest in the proper equipment for the job? :confused:

bobbygedd
02-13-2004, 11:11 PM
mr. popante, my point is, what if a homeowner said they want you to come by and just edge the walkway? if you had any sense, you would probably say we only do that for our lawn customers. this is along the lines of why i said i will only do scu for lawn clients. and, if they are not an exsisting customer, i'm pretty sure the cleanup in the fall was done half azzed, makin the spring cleanup very undesireable. and yes my man, acorns, little twigs, small matted down debris DOES have to be hand raked. my equipment serves me just fine, and hasnt put me in debt.

bastalker
02-13-2004, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by paponte
How can you offer a service that you provide... but only to certain customers only? If you provide a service, you provide it... right? No strings attached?

As far as hand raking them, maybe thats why you dread them so much. Maybe it's time to invest in the proper equipment for the job? :confused:

I think there is a time factor involved here. Spring cleanups pretty much take quite a bit of time. At the same time, mulch installs are being done, pre- ems etc...Since it still getting dark fairly early, there just isn't enough hours in a day. I have 80 customers that need spring cleanup as it is. We try an knock out a few a day, an do mulch installs on the weekends. We have even done cleanups an mulch installs on the same property in a day. I am not usually around, cause I am runnin all over the place giving estimates Spring is just really hectic.

I agree about the rakes though, no rakes here. Lazer an blowers is about all we use.

General Grounds
02-13-2004, 11:14 PM
:blob3: bobb, turfdude, im with you guys i do just my regulars, phone is already startin to ring, i was kinda likin the phone being quiet but i guess its time to get off the couch and start some work. tony

KLMlawn
02-13-2004, 11:19 PM
WTF is a rake???
Oh, you must mean a JRCO tine rake .. the one that attaches to the front of my machines and rakes thru the lawn and loosens those twigs and acorns so they can be sucked up by the mower.
Or you might be refering to the action my backpacks and ground blowers do to the lawn while doing a cleanup .... in either case, I really have no idea what a rake is ... would someone please explain????:( :(

paponte
02-13-2004, 11:20 PM
and yes my man, acorns, little twigs, small matted down debris DOES have to be hand raked.

I will have to disagree with you on that one. Rakes are used to get into hard to reach places only. I would yell at a guy if i saw him trying to rake out a whole lawn by hand. Maybe these facors are also why some find it hard to believe that LCO's are charging AND getting $60.-$75. PER man hour, PLUS dumping fees.

PaulJ
02-14-2004, 12:37 AM
It all depend on how much someone wants the work and how well it will fit into the schedule.

I think regular customers would take priority. If some one want a one time cleanup right away, just say sign up for a full years service and go to the top of the cleanup list.

jferrantelandscape
02-14-2004, 03:24 AM
Hey aren't we in the business to make money, and to me Spring Clean Up's = money. I don't now thats just my opinion. Maybe thats because I am a newbee.

Big M LawnnSnow
02-14-2004, 07:54 AM
So what do you guys include in your spring cleanups?
Besides the twig picking,acorn raking,leaf blowing mess?

PaulJ
02-14-2004, 08:21 AM
"Spring and Fall Cleanup:
*Spring cleanup includes: blowing or raking leaves from landscape beds, trimming back any plants that require it at that time, cleaning leaves and debris from window wells and any corners where they have collected over the winter, trimming and edging the property, picking up any sticks or debris from the lawn, mowing and bagging lawn, and blowing off all hard surfaces when done.
*Fall cleanup includes: cleaning gutters and downspouts if requested and if accessible, blowing or raking leaves from landscape beds, trimming back any plants that require it at that time, cleaning leaves and debris from window wells and any corners where they have collected, trimming and edging the property, mowing and bagging lawn, and blowing off all hard surfaces.
*Cleanups are priced at the standard hourly rate of $40/hr for the additional time involved above the time of an average mowing. This is usually 1.5-3 times the regular mowing price."
*Detaching can be done at the time of spring or fall cleanup at a reduced rate.

This is something I am writing up about spring cleanups to include with other company policies to include in my bids and agreements.

tiedeman
02-14-2004, 01:21 PM
usually when it comes to spring and fall clean ups we only accept current customers because we have been on their properties all year long so we know what to expect. (hidden rocks, holes in the yard, etc) But last year we started to accept some fall non-regulars.

lawnchopper
02-14-2004, 01:49 PM
my company is considering doing cleanups just for current customers and most of ours are high end comercial accounts. The profit margin isnt that great on cleanups especially on residential when you figure you have to, lower your price to compete with the lowballers/scubs, the windshield time, pay the employee, fuel and putting you equipment throught all the wear & tear . Owner op's would problably come out better doing cleanups for whomever. We come better just sticking to our current customers and of course gettning new ones that want a all season contract.

NYRookie
02-15-2004, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by j fisher
I'll take them early, before my regular seasonal work picks up, which is normally mid March. After that they have to sign up for regular service to get the clean up.

Ditto.

mtdman
02-15-2004, 01:21 PM
I hate spring cleanups. But I'll take work from anyone for them, if I've got the time. It's a great way to get new customers.

And yes, I've done sidewalk edgings for non-lawn care customers.

PLI1
02-15-2004, 02:54 PM
My regular customers always come first. If I can fit one time spring cleanups in the schedule, I'll do it. If not, I don't.

turf9
10-22-2004, 12:04 AM
So what do you guys include in your spring cleanups?
Besides the twig picking,acorn raking,leaf blowing mess?

+ a bit of a$$ picking lol ;)