PDA

View Full Version : Exmark VS. Scag


exmarklover
02-13-2004, 08:49 PM
Ok boys, (and girls) settle once and for all a feud Between my brother-in-law and myself which is better Exmark lazer z or Scag tiger.

JB1
02-13-2004, 08:52 PM
I would think whatever trips your trigger.

MudslinginFX4
02-13-2004, 09:07 PM
It's all opinion. Both are great mowers, both will do the same quality of work.

exmarklover
02-13-2004, 09:09 PM
Come on now! Lets hear some brand loyalty.

J&R
02-13-2004, 09:33 PM
I own both Scag Turf Tiger and eXmark lazer Z. The mower with the less down will be eXmark.

bastalker
02-13-2004, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by exmarklover
Come on now! Lets hear some brand loyalty.

Looks like you have that covered already....;)

Sam-Ohio
02-14-2004, 01:26 AM
For engineering quality, elegance of design,
and just plain toughness and reliability I don't think anything is as great as the Scag Turf Tiger

Of course I'm probably just as predjudiced as you are !

dbear
02-14-2004, 09:42 AM
I'd buy the Scag, but that's based upon my local dealers. The Exmark dealer is an arogant SOB that won't give you the time of day, unless you're buying multiple units from him. Scag dealer would spend all day with you if needed.

GTLC
02-14-2004, 09:53 AM
Whatever floats your boat. Whichever feels more comfortable to you. I can't give any opinions on these b/c i have never used them.

j fisher
02-14-2004, 10:09 AM
Exmarks are great machines no doubt. So are Scags. I bought Scag over Exmark based soley on the dealer.

Grass Master
02-14-2004, 10:53 AM
I have used Scag and ExMark in the past but have switched to Great Dane...

I tried the Super Surfer which works great for many applications. I then tried the Chariot rider and am very happy overall.

The new Dane stuff coming out of the Deere factory is awesome!!

WESLEY BROWN
02-14-2004, 11:05 AM
Comes down to your dealers. Depends on the year of the Scag to wether or not Exmark has less problems, but I know that the Scag is Built haevier Now than Exmark. Compare Spindles and Pumps and the design of the belt layout just to point out a few weaknesses over alot of brands out there. Theres features on the Exmark that I like better than Scag.

TreffertLawnWrx
02-14-2004, 11:21 AM
Scag dealer- 5 minutes away= A-hole

Exmark dealer-30 minutes away=Priceless

Go Emark!

TreffertLawnWrx
02-14-2004, 11:23 AM
Or Exmark which ever you prefer LOL

greengator
02-14-2004, 12:47 PM
I JUST BOUGHT A EXMARK LAZER Z HP, BUILT LIKE A TANK. DON'T KNOW ABOUT THE SCAG.I'M SURE IT IS WELL BUILT OR THE DEMAND WOULD NOT BE THERE. ONCE AGAIN CHEVY OR FORD!!

terracare
02-14-2004, 02:03 PM
ask him if his scag can do this.. (60 in exmark diesel)

Cut 2 Please
02-14-2004, 02:12 PM
I prefer Exmark. My local Scag dealer has a division with several crews and the LCOs in this area have to compete against him. I can't bring myself to buy equipment from someone that is undercutting LCOs in this area. Although, he will sub accounts to you if you buy your equipment from him.

yardman1
02-14-2004, 02:19 PM
either one of these is my choice

myoder
02-14-2004, 02:52 PM
I'm sure the scags can stripe just as well if not better than the exmark b/c they now have a striping kit that looks like it will work awesome. I like both machines so it doesn't make much difference to me.

John Gamba
02-14-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by terracare
ask him if his scag can do this.. (60 in exmark diesel)

Nice strips:cool: 60" lazer EPS

John Gamba
02-14-2004, 03:49 PM
LIKE THE SIGN SAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TXLAWNBOY
02-14-2004, 03:54 PM
Ford or Chevy? I say Ford you may say Chevy. Echo or Sthil? I say Echo is better you may say Sthil. My point is they are all well built good quailty machines. It all comes down to personal preference as well as personal experience w/the product. And they ALL have had their fare share of lemons as well as flawless units.

Mark P
02-14-2004, 04:05 PM
:) Scags new striping kit is nice but instead of just raiseing your deck to load each time on the Turf Tiger you have to remove the roller, unsnap two pins and put it in the truck bed, then get to the next job and put it back on, it doesn't tear turf as bad as the exmark's do sometime, but still on exmark just raise you deck and load.....JMPO Marks Mowing Service

mklawnman
02-14-2004, 08:35 PM
Yeah I would agree about that striping roller that scag makes, looks like a good roller and from the pics they have on their website, depending on type and wetness of grass conditions it can stripe as good as a Exmark. But I've seen the Exmarks striper and I like that one, but I'm not a Exmark fan. Anyone notice that Exmarks along with Toro's have standard rollbars on them now? I would think they would get in the way if say you need to mow under a tree. I know scag has the bolt holes ready if you want to buy a roll bar for the TUrf tiger but its not standard, YET, wait till OSHA mandates them along with seat belts. Then what about the stand on machines? Those can be dangerious too, but you can easily step off.
Im a Scag man here have 2 of them, wish Scag would build a Stand on machine, cause I'm lookin to buy one this year and trade my Walkbehind in.
Matt

Sam-Ohio
02-14-2004, 08:44 PM
Mark P:

The Scag stripping kit has spring loaded hinged pivoting arms that the roller bar is suspended from. The roller is completely free to follow the ground contours or it will rise clear up to the bottom of the tiger's rear frame if need be to go over some thing high.

If you don't want the roller to be on the ground, there are lock pins on each arm. Just lift the roller and push in the spring loaded pin and it suspends the roller in the up position.

Of course if you do want it removed clear off the Scag, just pull those two click pins you mentioned, and the whole stripe kit assembly drops right off, but you don't need to do this unless your trailer ramps are real short, and real steep.

bwallen149
02-14-2004, 08:51 PM
Mark P, Actually you do not have to remove the stripe kit from the mower before loading on the trailer. The roller is spring loaded and will just pivot up when going up and down the trailer. It will also lock up and completly out of the way, but it is not necesary. Honestly I dont know how the stripe kit is going to perform. I did not get it until mid December and it is hard to lay stripes on frozen grass:). If anyone is interested in better pics of the stripe kit I can snap a few and attach them...

oleo
02-15-2004, 03:58 AM
That is priceless terra!

Exmark for sure - top accessories and customer service.

MY PUPPY
02-15-2004, 07:04 AM
Exmark is the best I ve seen.

65hoss
02-15-2004, 09:13 AM
Got a great way for you to find out. Go out and fight each other. Whoever wins is correct. If he kicks the crap out of you then its Scag, if you win...it eXmark.

Just be sure to tape it for us. We want to watch.

rob1325
02-15-2004, 10:41 AM
First off any machine is as good as its dealer. Second compare components and features on both machines and you will see Scag will prevail. Also, IMO Scag cuts and disperses clippings better than Exmark.

DUSTYCEDAR
02-15-2004, 10:53 AM
i ran scags 4 years sold them all due to breakage mostly frame and decks
run all exmark lazers a lot less problems and no frame or deck breakage yet

floridalawncare
02-17-2004, 07:11 PM
the turf tiger has a double frame. you breaking these dusty? i'd have to ask how are you breaking them? scag's compnents ARE the best on the maeket, and have been for a while now. they've been second to none in their wear parts. their bearings have been at least the best. they ofner all tapered rollers in the wheels and spindles. hydro oil cooler, almost 1/2 thick steel in the deck's top plate. and you broke it? not trying to sound smart, just amazed. alot of companies are now offering similar options, but i think they're just copying the cat. now i've said it before, and i'll say it again, find me another mower that compares to this. oh yeah, no bushings in the tensioner arm pivots, now ball bearing, adjustable baffles are on scag, very open and easy to mantain. all parts very accessible on the tiger. and one of two companies to offer the turbo baffles. i've personally come to the conclusion that alot of posts on this site are opinionated. me and my partner mow over 216 yards a week during summer, and then we go do our personal lawn work apart from one another. i put every bit of 700 hours on my machine in a year. i usually wear out at least one weedeater head a year, and go through at least one case of 2-cycle mix. which is about 50 gallons. i can say from reading people's posts on here, there's alot more opinions and ideas than facts and experience. i like lawnsite, but alot of these name brand hardliners don't have a clue of what they're saying.

rob1325
02-17-2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by floridalawncare
the turf tiger has a double frame. you breaking these dusty? i'd have to ask how are you breaking them? scag's compnents ARE the best on the maeket, and have been for a while now. they've been second to none in their wear parts. their bearings have been at least the best. they ofner all tapered rollers in the wheels and spindles. hydro oil cooler, almost 1/2 thick steel in the deck's top plate. and you broke it? not trying to sound smart, just amazed. alot of companies are now offering similar options, but i think they're just copying the cat. now i've said it before, and i'll say it again, find me another mower that compares to this. oh yeah, no bushings in the tensioner arm pivots, now ball bearing, adjustable baffles are on scag, very open and easy to mantain. all parts very accessible on the tiger. and one of two companies to offer the turbo baffles. i've personally come to the conclusion that alot of posts on this site are opinionated. me and my partner mow over 216 yards a week during summer, and then we go do our personal lawn work apart from one another. i put every bit of 700 hours on my machine in a year. i usually wear out at least one weedeater head a year, and go through at least one case of 2-cycle mix. which is about 50 gallons. i can say from reading people's posts on here, there's alot more opinions and ideas than facts and experience. i like lawnsite, but alot of these name brand hardliners don't have a clue of what they're saying.

I agree with you all the way, Scag doesn't get credit they deserve on this forum. Many are Ex-mark and Hustler Pro on the site because they are after all the sponsors on the site. I wish Scag would come on some time.

BULLGRAZER
02-17-2004, 10:12 PM
I know why I don't own a Skag...I own 3 FANTASTIC eXmark's!!!

-=KC=-

Mlc gmc03
02-17-2004, 10:25 PM
i have booth units i have a exmark lazer z hp 48 in with 21 kaw and the ultra vac great unit but as far as i am concerned its not even comparable to my scag turf tiger 52in with 22 kaw liq cooled it is build much heavier and also the scag has many more hours and many less repair bills so far, also i have the collection system for the turf tiger, yes it makes it very heavy on soft spring yards but it will suck up everything even off concrete where the exmark machine wont i would have to say go with the turf tiger but thats just my opinion

LASTEC
02-17-2004, 10:31 PM
I have tested both mowers and they are good mowers, but you should take a look at Lastec Articulators.

see link
www.lastec.com

John Gamba
02-18-2004, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by LASTEC
I have tested both mowers and they are good mowers, but you should take a look at Lastec Articulators.

see link
www.lastec.com

Shane
Are you coming out with a 60" Mower?? I have tryed your mowers years ago But 96"s was a little big.
John

John Gamba
02-18-2004, 06:49 AM
Wow that WILDCAT sure looks like a LAZER?????????I wonder what happend to the turf tiger???????????
John

floridalawncare
02-18-2004, 08:41 AM
looks like a lazer? common. tell you what. go change the belts on a lazer, then on the mower above, and tell me which was easier on your hands. if you look below the surface, you'll find alot of differences. what do you mean by what happened to the turf tiger? oh, i'll tell you what happened, they further improved it for '04 with even beefier spindles. this is what i'm talking about, facts guys please, not opinions and ideas. oh and by the way, exmark is a good machine too. and nice cup holder on the mower above.

Shultz
02-18-2004, 09:03 AM
so john youre saying not to compare the tiger and the lazer, rather its little brother the wildcat? Interesting........

LASTEC
02-18-2004, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by John Gamba
Shane
Are you coming out with a 60" Mower?? I have tryed your mowers years ago But 96"s was a little big.
John

Yes, we have a 52", 61", 69", 72", 86"
The 52 and the 61 are Reversed V decks they lay down an awesome cut. The 69 and the 86 are Reversed V with wing trim deck and the 72" is a fully articulating deck.

this is the only pic i have of the 61" right now, not the best pic but still a look at it.

John Gamba
02-18-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by LASTEC
Yes, we have a 52", 61", 69", 72", 86"
The 52 and the 61 are Reversed V decks they lay down an awesome cut. The 69 and the 86 are Reversed V with wing trim deck and the 72" is a fully articulating deck.

this is the only pic i have of the 61" right now, not the best pic but still a look at it.

Nice! Whats the bladec speed.
John

LASTEC
02-18-2004, 11:59 AM
Blade speed is right at the max allowed.

John Gamba
02-18-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by LASTEC
Blade speed is right at the max allowed.

Whats that?

LASTEC
02-18-2004, 12:06 PM
about 1850 to 1900 rpm tip speed

DUSTYCEDAR
02-18-2004, 12:19 PM
floridalawncare
i said i had problems with the mowers but not which 1's
my 52 inch walkbehind had a uncontrolible viberation in the machine and my dealer made good on it and i got a new 1 good dealer. the other was a three wheel rider broken decks broken frame leaky hydro engine problems all in the first 800 hrs oh well,
and a turf tirger the front caster broke right off the machine bad weld i guess? so even the new have had a few problems these machines were not abused or negelicted just used day to day.
my exmark lazers have been good to me no complaints
and the dealer has been great goes way out of his way to help me
the scag dealer i started with went out of business so i had to get a new dealer. well they lack in the service area a lot. so i went to my exmark dealer and that is what i run now all because of service and lack of problems.

TLS
02-18-2004, 12:32 PM
I personally prefer Exmark. Their design is proven, they "got it right" the FIRST time, and only made minor improvements over the years.

SCAG started out in the Z market with a real POS....the SuperZ. Sure Exmarks first Lazer Z's were slow and underpowered, but if you look closely, they REALLY did their homework in the design aspect.

Flash up to 1997. SCAG was STILL not up to par with the LAZER. Slower, heavier, and noisy with the shaft deck drive. I won't even compare the cut, SCAG's were not even in the same league back then!

Keep going on to 2001, their Cubs were becoming popular, they went to the Advantage deck in the Tigers. Cut and speed were improved.

Sure, SCAG uses some of the best components, but for some reason they don't all "gel" together like a Lazer does. A Lazer "feels" tight and connected, well engineered.

Sure I'm a bit biased. However, when it comes time to replace my Lazer, I will consider all brands, but if its a real close race, I'm sticking with Exmark.


I really like some of the changes that TORO made. Wish Exmark would implement some of their good changes.

jt5019
02-18-2004, 12:32 PM
I just got my 2003 tiger near the middle of last season so its not that broken in but i have to say,,I LOVE IT.i had one minor carb issue do to bad gas when i first got it, other then that no problems whatsoever.It really is built like a tank.The dealer i bought it from is also a exmark dealer so i had the tough decision of picking which one.They are both great i wouldnt mind running either one.I do have to say there seemed to be a lot more scags out in the repair bay when i was at the dealer..not sure why could have just been normal maintence.I plan on getting the new striping kit this year cant wait to post some results.

John Gamba
02-18-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by TLS
I personally prefer Exmark. Their design is proven, they "got it right" the FIRST time, and only made minor improvements over the years.

SCAG started out in the Z market with a real POS....the SuperZ. Sure Exmarks first Lazer Z's were slow and underpowered, but if you look closely, they REALLY did their homework in the design aspect.

Flash up to 1997. SCAG was STILL not up to par with the LAZER. Slower, heavier, and noisy with the shaft deck drive. I won't even compare the cut, SCAG's were not even in the same league back then!

Keep going on to 2001, their Cubs were becoming popular, they went to the Advantage deck in the Tigers. Cut and speed were improved.

Sure, SCAG uses some of the best components, but for some reason they don't all "gel" together like a Lazer does. A Lazer "feels" tight and connected, well engineered.

Sure I'm a bit biased. However, when it comes time to replace my Lazer, I will consider all brands, but if its a real close race, I'm sticking with Exmark.


I really like some of the changes that TORO made. Wish Exmark would implement some of their good changes.

Tom
You didnt say anything about the shaft drive seal that would let dirt in and blow the gear box
How about the control arm rod that would bend and you could not go straight.
Oh how about the bagger the scag bagger that would just brake off??

Oh i'm looking at TORO very closely too!!!
Have a nice day!!
John

John Gamba
02-18-2004, 01:31 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by LASTEC
[B]about 1850 to 1900 rpm tip speed

Shane Thank you!
When will you update your web site.
John

floridalawncare
02-18-2004, 01:39 PM
i know i got a little rough dusty, but no offense to you intended. i was simply amazed that you might have broke the turf tiger's deck and frame. but there are alot of biassed opinions on this site. scag has come a long way. and they seem to focus their attention on the turf tiger, tiger cub, and walk behinds. i'd imagine they'll drop the three whell rider before long and offer another front mount type rider. but i wouldn't hammer anyone for buying an exmark, they have the components it takes to make a good mower.

John Gamba
02-18-2004, 01:43 PM
I will admit the 03 tiger felt allot better then the older ones.
John

floridalawncare
02-18-2004, 01:44 PM
looks like mine!

John Gamba
02-18-2004, 02:52 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by floridalawncare
[B]looks like mine!

I do have a soft spot in my heart for the strips on the fenders:cool2:
John

WESLEY BROWN
02-18-2004, 03:17 PM
Hey I want to congratulate John Gamba on saying something nice about another brand other than Exmark. Thanks John!

LASTEC
02-18-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by John Gamba
[QUOTE]Originally posted by LASTEC
[B]about 1850 to 1900 rpm tip speed

Shane Thank you!
When will you update your web site.
John

John,
We are working on our website as we speak and it will have a lot more information on it about the commercial line. Thanks for you help and input. :) Oh the site should be done in a week or two.

John Gamba
02-18-2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by LASTEC
John,
We are working on our website as we speak and it will have a lot more information on it about the commercial line. Thanks for you help and input. :) Oh the site should be done in a week or two.

Thanks Shane
John

John Gamba
02-18-2004, 05:01 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by WESLEY BROWN
[B]Hey I want to congratulate John Gamba on saying something nice about another brand other than Exmark. Thanks John! [/B

I'm going to take that as a complement:blush:

floridalawncare
02-19-2004, 11:32 AM
john has said a few nice things in the past about other names too. not many though. for some reason, i like to try to stir him up from time to time. i just new he'd respond to my post on here, or on exmark or lesco thread.
:p

John Gamba
02-19-2004, 02:50 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by floridalawncare
[B]john has said a few nice things in the past about other names too. not many though. for some reason, i like to try to stir him up from time to time. i just new he'd respond to my post on here, or on exmark or lesco thread.
:p

Oh i did like the foot deck lift on the 03 tiger, It was easy to use, less lift pressure.
John