PDA

View Full Version : Chemical sprays To Reduce Bush Trimming

ed2hess
02-13-2004, 09:53 PM
I would like information on any experience that you guys have regarding the use of chemicals on bushes to reduce trimming. The main types are Ligustrum, Burford Holly and Wax Myrtle. I would like to know chemical name, cost, and when can it be applied. I know this stuff is expensive so any thoughts on whether it is cost effective.

bob
02-13-2004, 10:00 PM
Primomaxx and Embark are two PGR's. I've used Primo on turf. It does work. Expensive ,at $120 per quart, but in the long run it saves time. Check the Pesticide forum, you"ll probably find more info there.

ipm
02-13-2004, 10:01 PM
ARe you alking about growth regulators? There are a few , one is Embark, not sure if they even still make it or not??????? price ????

MudslinginFX4
02-13-2004, 10:02 PM
Unless you have a contract I wouldnt worry about those things. We get paid to cut bushes, hell, I wish they would grow faster sometimes so I could get more money!

workaholic
02-13-2004, 10:05 PM
The chemical that you are asking about, are growth regulators and it can be used on lawns and ornamentals if you are a licenced pest app. reading the label would help in knowing when it could be applied, how much...

heritage
02-13-2004, 10:47 PM
Ed2Hess,
From experiance I can tell you that Atrimec from PBI Gordon works well on the privet at the 1oz. per gallon rate applied right after late spring pruning/trimming. If you go to the high 2oz. rate per gallon you will be dealing with yellowing of the leaves (chlorosis) for much ot the season. My cost is about $2.15 a gallon of finished spray (1 oz. per gallon) and a 3 gallon backpack full ($6.45) goes a long way. As far as the other plants you asked about....You should read the label. Don't spray on hot days.
This product will save you lots of $$$$$$$$$ and time on contract jobs, But don't waist your time using it otherwise as you will eliminate one pruning and lose $$$$$$$.

Pete D

ed2hess
02-14-2004, 05:01 PM
Thanks Pete....Atrimmec is what John Deere Landscape is selling but they didn't have any information. I was only planning on using it on commerical accounts that we trim a couple times a month.