PDA

View Full Version : Zero turning 580 D !

Andyinchville
02-14-2004, 12:58 AM
HI All,

I was just thinking the other day how much nicer it is to operate a zeroturn
mower w/the two levers controlliing the
machine rather than the defacto steering
wheel / pedal control that the front mounts use.....I was thinking of modifying
the hydraulics of a 580 D to accomplish this goal.....Of course the real wheels would have to be castorized (?)......Does anybody have any opinion on this modification?....I would think that would make the machine feel more nimble and in fact it could be more nimble w/ independent control of each of the drive wheels.....True zero turning in a 16" cut....Now that's productivity!

Andrew

FrankenScagMachines
02-14-2004, 09:04 AM
i don' t know much about those machines but they probably only come with one hydrualic pump and two wheel motors to acheive a differential action, so that the rear wheels can tell it how to steer... if you put casters on the back it would go all crazy. You'd have to add another hydro pump, re-route all the hoses and then the pumps & motors may be out of proportion and not operate well (pumps now twice as much capacity per wheel as before). For all i know, the pump and motors may be enclosed in a transmission housing case on that machine too... it's a cool idea but if you want a machine that size with zero turning just go look at the Hustler RangeWing i think it's called 12' cut with wing decks, true zero turning like a smaller mower. Has their H-bar steering too. Lastec (sponsor here) might make a zero turn in that size too i don't know.

Neat idea, but complicated transformation. Do your homework first. Personally i like machines with steering wheels for big big jobs all open. In my opinion i feel like i can relax more without concentrating so much on making both wheels go straight. anyway it is a cool idea if you do it get us pictures.
Eric

Andyinchville
02-14-2004, 10:07 AM
Hi, Thanks for the reply....I didn't realize that there was a wide area mower that zero turns that is available now....I'll have to check that out.....

I had a JD 935 before....For whatever reason that machine could not run at top speed on the road without ziigging and zagging all over the road ....I've never had that problem w/ zero turns.... the JD was old and could have had some loose steering components but I think
it may have been the result of the rear steering that made the machine so sensitive to steerng inputs....
The JD I had, had 1 large motor drive the transaxle (not a good setup because of a diffs inherent lach of traction unless you had a posi unit or hit the diff lock), The 580 D has 2 separate wheel motors (one for each wheel geared down through planetaries....good since each wheel like a zero turn gets power))....I'll have to research the pump situation....I suppose if it has 2 of them I would be on the home stretch then!......I haven't actually purchased the 580 yet but I have been looking real hard at it....
I suppose the real trick would be to have a front mount bat wing zero turn
w/ 4 wd that was set up so it minimized
scuffing when turning....For close in
maneuvering I think the twin sticks that a zero turn uses would be faster than a
steering wheel / pedal combo....

Well, I appreciate your opinions and will have to do more research on this....

Andrew

Farmer
02-14-2004, 08:25 PM
Hustler batwing No steering Wheel