PDA

View Full Version : Leaf vacuum

dcwalker
02-14-2004, 09:13 AM
Hey guys, I'm new to this site and just started a lawn business last year. I was wondering if anyone has ever used a Yard Machines chipper,shredder,vac. for large leaf jobs. How well do they work and are they worth the money? I found one fairly cheap and am considering it. Thanks

dc

BobR
02-14-2004, 11:14 AM
Been there - done that....
SAVE YOUR MONEY and when you get enough buy some real leaf processing equipment. You will have to judge what that equipment will be, I am just letting you know that you will be wasting your hard earned money buying that style of home owner junk.

BobR

Blades of Steel
02-14-2004, 11:31 AM
leave your money in the bank and save for a debris loader. Build a box for your truck and buy a small Billy Goat debris loader. they are much more efficient and no need for bags. My customers like that we no longer leave bags on the curb because the city takes too long to pick them up.

Just one man 2 cents!!!!!!!

Tim

skmodmsl
02-14-2004, 12:28 PM
I have a couple of small "home owner" chipper, shredder, vac units. One is a Craftsman and the other is an MTD. The Craftsman and MTD are identical bodywise with the exception of the engines. Craftsman has a Tecumseh and MTD has Briggs. The Craftsman came with a "blower" shute so the machine can be used as a blower. The shute also fits the MTD. I also have a Giant Vac 8 h.p. blower. I use the Craftsman to vac the leaves and the MTD as a blower. The machines are light and easy to push. The vac does do a very nice job and I like it.

However there is a downside. The bag on the machine holds about 3 bushels. When the leaves are heavy it fills up quite fast and you have to empty it often. I am just starting out in the business and it was all I could afford at this time. I plan to use these for the time being until I can afford a truck mounted leaf vac/loader. As others have mentioned these units are geared for the homeowner and probably won't last long under heavy use. For a guy just getting into fall cleanups its an inexpensive starter machine.

GTLC
02-14-2004, 12:31 PM
tried a cheap residential one like the Yard Machines. not a good idea. The POS was so underpowered that i put it under so much stress the shaft snapped. The drive systems are a bit weak, too.

gr84
02-14-2004, 02:27 PM
LIKE THE OTHER GUYS SAID SAVE YOUR MONEY I HAVE ONE I BOUGHT A TROYBILT LIKE 5 YEARS AGO PAID SOME WHERE AROUND 500 FOR IT AND MAYBE USED IT 4 TIMES NOT WORTH IT

LawnsRUsInc.
02-14-2004, 03:36 PM
I went to buy a debris loader for the back of the dump truck and while i was looking at the computer at the dealer i plane as day saw the price it will cost me and the price they paid $2300 for me and they paid $1100. Why such a high merk up???

pjslawncare/landscap
02-14-2004, 04:16 PM
Actually, I have a Yard machine chipper/vac 5.5 hp techumse that I bought seven years ago. The thing doesnt get used that often, but it has had a work out many times and it has held up surprisingly well for what it is. Ive definately gotten my moneys worth out of it. Yes it is a little under powered, but it is handy for bush trimming clean-ups and small leaf clean-ups and stuff like that. I do think it has its place and I value the thing.

grassbob
02-14-2004, 07:02 PM
Save your money , buy a nice commercial rider with a bagging system.

dcwalker
02-14-2004, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

macaw
02-15-2004, 11:09 AM
Cyclone rake
www.cyclonerake.com

dcwalker
02-15-2004, 08:07 PM
How much do these cyclon rakes cost? I've seen them before and they look like they might be good for large jobs.

BobR
02-16-2004, 07:53 AM
DCWALKER - not telling you what to do but you might want to compare Cyclone Rake with the tow behinds offered by Trac Vac
http://www.trac-vac.com

BobR

Shuter
02-16-2004, 08:22 AM
Just starting out, you may make the same mistakes I made. One was buying what ever equipment that I found was cheapest. Now after a few mistakes, and some wasted money, I have found that there is a big difference between pro/commercial models and what you can buy at a home center. Go with commericial.

macaw
02-16-2004, 09:37 AM
The cyclone rake is around $1000.00 to $1600.00 depends on what extras you get ( pickup hose,roof rack ect.) I have used mine for 6 years very little trouble and if something brakes there customer service is fast I have had very little down time.

topcat
02-23-2004, 12:38 AM
On the video for the Cyclone rake they seem to be going very slow on the leaf pickup demo. For those that have one how would you rate your speed and what do you have it connected to - ztr or lawn tractor?

gogetter
02-23-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by BobR
DCWALKER - not telling you what to do but you might want to compare Cyclone Rake with the tow behinds offered by Trac Vac
http://www.trac-vac.com

BobR

The Cyclone Rake has many advantages over the Trac-Vacs. For anyone in the market, really compare all the features of both before making any purchases.

butler L&S
02-23-2004, 01:43 PM
I use a Toro walk behind vac for areas I can't get with my Lazer. It has a 5hp briggs and works good. I paid $600 for it 5 years ago. During fall clean-up I use it on windy days it to clean leaves off patios since the leaves just swirl around when I try to blow them with the backpack blower.