PDA

View Full Version : lawn edging, each visit?

captaingreen
02-14-2004, 01:18 PM
Just wondering how often you guys use an edger. I'm talking about cool season turf, fescue/bluegrass. Do you edge each visit, every other, or turn your trimmer on its side. Some of my competition edges every other visit, they leave a well defined line that seems to last. Just wanting some opinions, thank you.

Kelly & Sons
02-14-2004, 01:23 PM
I cut mainly St Augustine grass, but... in the winter months, I only edge every other week. (i use an edgit) Summer months though, it is Every single week!

sildoc
02-14-2004, 01:23 PM
As needed. In the peak of growing season I hit it almost every time. In the summer and winter I can go 2-4 weeks before hitting it. My main concern is does it look good. If yes I save some time and skip, if not then I hit it with the edger. Quality.

dkeisala
02-14-2004, 01:24 PM
I edge every visit (string trimmer) April through October because cleints request it but then ***** because their edges get to wide. Going to buy a stick edger this year to minimize that.

Kelly & Sons
02-14-2004, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by dkeisala
but then ***** because their edges get to wide. Going to buy a stick edger this year to minimize that.

I've had 2-3 people b*tch about that (being to wide) so then I use a stick edger. One thing that I Like about the "wider" edge, is that it allows the water to run off the driveways better...

Mac V2.0
02-14-2004, 03:45 PM
yes, www.edgit.com

TXLAWNBOY
02-14-2004, 04:06 PM
We edge each time we are at a property, it's just part of the routine.

MudslinginFX4
02-14-2004, 04:26 PM
We also edge each time we are at a property. It's part or our basic service, edge, mow, blow, trim.

Lawn Specialties
02-14-2004, 04:26 PM
Every visit during heavy spring growth.As needed to maintain a crisp clean edge during summer and fall. Some times only once a month.

captaingreen
02-14-2004, 04:38 PM
Thanks for all of the replies fella's. I think cool vs. warm season definitely makes a difference by the replies, especially during the summer when cool season turf begins to slow down in growth. Is it spring yet?

Tvov
02-14-2004, 05:30 PM
We use string trimmers to clean up the edges every time we mow, but we usually only edge once, maybe twice, a year using an actual "edger".

It seems there is a lot of confusion when someone says "edger", because one person is thinking about using a string trimmer, while someone else maybe thinking of a 3hp dedicated blade edger.

NNJLandman
02-14-2004, 05:33 PM
I edge each visit with my stick edger as long as they are paying for edging otherwise nope. I edge along each paved area, and I encourage my customers to get edging, it really looks good.

BW4486
02-14-2004, 06:13 PM
We also edge every time it gives it a professional look

luke125
02-14-2004, 08:33 PM
i use to just turn my trimmer on the side but i got tired of that so i went out today and got a fc85 im hoping it will do me wonders

precisioncut
02-14-2004, 08:41 PM
Yes, I edge every time. It keeps the edge nice and clean.

Jason Rose
02-14-2004, 08:54 PM
I usually go every week spring and fall or whenever the grass is growing fast, you never know when that's going to be here... summer I can go every other week on most of my properties except for the hind end. I also just use the trimmer flipped upside down. I own a stick edger and it's just too much hassle with the amount of bermuda we have around here that grows along the concrete and creeps out every week. It never cuts all of it off and I always end up using the line trimmer to go back and catch all the runners. I was also had a HOA start complaining about my edges getting too wide, mainly in the corners where they were getting rounded off. I am still using the trimmer to edge, but I just make real sure to not round corners now and try to keep the line as close to the concrete edge as possible.

That dirt space between the grass and the concrete does get to be a bad thing when the weeds start growing in it, all it takes is a half inch or so of dirt and it's weed central.

mtdman
02-15-2004, 12:05 AM
Edging is a seperate service for my customers. I mean edging with a dedicated edger. Stick or walk behind. Many of my customers do not want it. And most of the lcos in my area do not include it in the mowing service.

Many of my customers have it done once or twice a season, and I always try to keep it cleaned up with the weed trimmer after I do edge it. Part of one of my service plans includes monthly edging. I hit it once a month with the stick edger, and by the time the season is ending it barely needs to be touched because the edge is so well developed.

odin
02-15-2004, 12:21 AM
every visit with stick edger ..it makes for a more professional job...its included in the price when i give a quote .

mtdman
02-15-2004, 01:03 AM
Just curious, how much is the average edging odin, and how much does that bump up the mowing charge? I get anywhere from $25 to $50 per edging, one time that is. To include the charge for edging in the price for each cut would drive my prices past the competitive mark, and outta business.

hole in one lco
02-15-2004, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by odin00
every visit with stick edger ..it makes for a more professional job...its included in the price when i give a quote .

flower beds get edged to every week asphalt drives are done with the trimmer

PaulJ
02-15-2004, 09:03 AM
The only time I use a blade edger is on new accounts or a couple that just call for edging once a year. On all my mowing accounts I trim and edge using the same trimmer that has an "edgit" edging and trimming guide on it. using this I never have to touch it with a blade again. and yes I do edge and trim every visit.
Check out www.edgit.com and the "Following the edge" section.

brian mon
02-15-2004, 09:18 AM
"Every two weeks or as needed"......Used to maintain w/ string trimmer and stick edge 2-3 times a season, but found I was breaking the pre-emergent barrier with the string....started getting crabgrass along edges, so now it's only stick edger!