PDA

View Full Version : Rain day policies?

landscapingpoolguy
02-14-2004, 06:13 PM
hey guys,

What do you guys do as far as rain day policies go? For instance if it rains on the day you are schedualed to cut do you go another day or skip it till the next time they are schedualed for? Trying to tighten up my policies/contracts

Chuck

dkeisala
02-14-2004, 06:20 PM
Rain days bump everything forward one day until I can get back on scheduled service dates.

landscapingpoolguy
02-14-2004, 06:23 PM
That messes up yur whole week tho for only a day or two of rain delay.

Chuck

bastalker
02-14-2004, 06:24 PM
Move up the schedule to the next day, or whenever it stops raining. Then work 12 hour days to catch back up.

If you wait till they are scheduled again, your gonna have some mighty tall grass on your hands. Makes for a big mess!

sgallaher
02-14-2004, 06:25 PM
I usually split up the ones I had on that day to other days. In my contract I state that cuttings are not scheduled to any particular day or time and they can occur anytime from dawn til dusk Sun - Sat. If it rains for more than 3 straight days then your cut will be postponed until next week.

This works for us. Hope it helps.

Steve

bastalker
02-14-2004, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by landscapingpoolguy
That messes up yur whole week tho for only a day or two of rain delay.

Chuck

Welcome to the lawncare buisness.;) :D

landscapingpoolguy
02-14-2004, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by bastalker
Welcome to the lawncare buisness.;) :D

Normally we will try to make up there visits on another day. So basiclly try to squeeze in 1 or 2 more at the end or beginning of the day. If it rains for more then 2 days then I skip it till next week because then I am already at least 25- 30 custromers behind and I dont like to rush, besides I only have flat rate monthly contracts. I was just curious as to what other do.

Chuck

sildoc
02-14-2004, 07:01 PM
Heck during last year if you didn't cut when it was raining you went well over a month with no cutting.
Most of the time I cut in rain. Just put on bagger and go. I mean if it is a down pour I will postpone but if it just drizzles for days I will cut regardless. Sometimes you have to double cut but cant afford to just wait till next week.

landscapingpoolguy
02-14-2004, 07:07 PM
Did you absorb the cost of bagging and dumping the grass or did you bill your customers extra? and if you did how did they respond? I happen to notice that if the ground is too wet, the mowers will leave ruts in the yard. I would rather explain not showing up verses having to try to fix ruts.

Chuck

dkeisala
02-14-2004, 07:08 PM
This is another area specific question you are asking. Here in the NW it rains all the time. However, it's more of an on again, off again slow rain rather than constant downpours and deluges. We mow in the rain all the time just to keep caught up. Only rain that stops us is a heavy rain.

landscapingpoolguy
02-14-2004, 07:10 PM
OK, well how bout people in the north east?

Metro Lawn
02-14-2004, 08:29 PM
We only cut 4 days a week, which leaves Friday open for catch ups. If we know it's going to rain, we may start cutting the rain day jobs a day early to get a jump on them.

little green guy
02-14-2004, 08:43 PM
if it's not raining too hard we cut, If heavy rain we'll bump it a day or sometimes run 2 crews the next day to get back on track if i can.

precisioncut
02-14-2004, 09:45 PM
I don't worry about rain out here in the desert. But the 2 times it does I push everything back until I catch up.

Richard Martin
02-14-2004, 10:00 PM
I give each new customer a "faq" sheet. This is what it says:

Every attempt will be made to mow your lawn on the same day of the week but occasionally there are conditions which arise, such as rain, that will prevent mowing. If conditions prevent me from mowing your lawn for 2 or more days then I will skip the cutting until the next scheduled mowing day.

CoultersDFW
02-14-2004, 11:11 PM
Wow, I love the ideal for the FAQ sheet! :cool:

mtdman
02-15-2004, 01:00 AM
I send out a sheet at the beginning of the season with all my various policies. I also have it posted to my website. It explains all about rain delays, and everything else I can think of that might affect the service.

As far as rain delays go, I push the schedule back and pick up where I left off. I also keep my website and voicemail updated when I have delays.

:D

dishboy
02-15-2004, 10:22 AM
I keep mowing, I become the rubberman [full rain gear], high lift blades and I usually go do my small lawns I can use my Honda 21 on first. I hate losing my Saturday because of rain, and Friday's clients, you know the Jones who have the perfect everything don't understand that the grass isn't cut when they have not seen a cloud for two days.

GreenMonster
02-15-2004, 10:07 PM
For you guys that skip to the next week when 2 or more consecutive days of rain, do you double-cut and charge extra, or do you just charge for one cut and lose one week of income on affected accounts?

Yard Perfect
02-15-2004, 11:13 PM
4 years ago, it rained 100 days in a row. Go forward, you won't melt!

Avery
02-15-2004, 11:45 PM
The Outer Banks was around 20" over normal rainfall this year. If I bumped or skipped due to rain I would still be trying to catch up. We cut regardless of the weather.

work_it
02-16-2004, 01:22 AM
The only time I will hold off on cutting is during a heavy rain or when the ground is too soft from rain. I've been very fortunate thus far to have understanding clients, and think a lot of that is just due to having a good working relationship with them. Hopefully that will continue in the future.

hole in one lco
02-16-2004, 01:32 AM
If its only suppose to rain 1 day i go back to sleep. If its going to rain more i cut all my small lawn on rain days less hassle and frustration.

David Haggerty
02-16-2004, 02:05 AM
I only stop for lightning, not rain. The thunderhead usually blows thru in an hour or so, then back to work, raining or not.

But grass really grows wild in the spring in SW Ohio. 4-5 day mowing schedule. And I'm cutting off the maximum amount of grass at that schedule. Well over an inch.

The ground gets softer if I don't mow. If the grass stays tall the ground seems to never dry out. I just watch out for soft spots and try to keep it mowed.
The ground seems softer after the rain than it is during the rain. I've worked straight thru a couple of rainy days, then had to lay off on the first clear day because the ground had just turned to jello from being saturated.

Dave

Richard Martin
02-16-2004, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
For you guys that skip to the next week when 2 or more consecutive days of rain, do you double-cut and charge extra, or do you just charge for one cut and lose one week of income on affected accounts?

Usually I'm double cutting at that time of the year anyway so that doesn't really make a difference. Even with my skipping policy I still only skipped a max of about 4 or so individual cuts all of last year. It's not hurting me but it does give me an "out" if I need one for some reason.

landscapingpoolguy
02-16-2004, 12:04 PM
Greenmonster,

I dont charge by the week I charge by the month so if i go to there homes 1 time or ten times I still get paid the same.....thats the advantage to seasonal contracts. Some people will complain at first and say that thats not fair...basically Ii tell them that its not safe to cut in rain and wet slippery conditions, it puts more wear and tear on the machines, and very often there is more damage to the turff because of the wetness either in the form of ruts or tearing from stopping the mower and having it slide and tear the grass. Also cutting in the rain becomes so unproductive....it takes too long to do the jobs and there fore ends up costing more for employees and gas.....the way I figure it also is that I pay for insurance and have all my equipment ready to go, its not my fault that the conditions are not satisfactory enuff to mow in....I also let them know that we do however do mulch seasonal planting and pruning in the rain as long as its not absolutly horrible out.

Chuck

Eirik
02-17-2004, 03:11 PM
Well, It's rained here for two days straight...
Usually it rains at a "bearable-rate" These passed days we've gotten a combined 4 properties maintained, out of a possible 25.

Needless to say it's gonna be a long week.

It's hard on everything, and everyone involved, however you can credit their account for not going that week, push them to the following day along with the rest em, or get wet.

We get wet to the point of saturation then call it a day...

I would rather have healthy happy employees go home early then call in sick for two to three days after the fact.

Our policy has always been to show up and we'll see, maybe it will break early and clear up maybe it wont...But I don't want guys assuming because it is raining to not come in to the shop. Sometimes there are projects around the shop to do...

As for the customers, half want it done regardless of the weather, and the other half don't want you messing up the integrity of the soil just so you can get paid. So I know who we can and cant do in bad weather.
At the end of the day...It's all apart of the biz.