PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of gasoline smell?

Currier
11-08-2000, 11:13 PM
Did a no brain thing last weekend. moving some of my equipment around in the (attatched) garage I knocked over a gas can and spilled about one gallon of gas. I quickly got a garden hose and washed the gas out the garage door (the spill was right at the door maybe 3 feet in) Anyway now one room of my house just stinks to high heaven of gas. I have no clue how a gas spill right by the garage door that was washed out within three minutes of being spilled can stink up a house but this is nasty. Any suggestions?

John DiMartino
11-08-2000, 11:37 PM
I use speedy dry on spills,then burn in a 55 gal drum after its absorbed the gas.Washing it off contaminates everything in its path.As for the smell,I load on old cologne onto my hands when I cant get it off.It works,but ive never tried it on a big spill.It is probably down into the concrete now,and itll take a long time(months)for it to wear off.I do not put fuel in my attached garage-ever,just in case.I keep it in the shed.Get some nose plugs for the next six months.

Currier
11-08-2000, 11:45 PM
John, Sounds encouraging:) I guess some mistakes you get to live with for a while. Could be worse. (just couldn't smell much worse)

Live and learn

Kevin
11-09-2000, 12:10 AM
I ve foung that zep citrus scent cleaner works real good!

gusbuster
11-09-2000, 12:26 AM
Any type of Cat litter works well if you have it handy, for spills. for the smell, air out the room. The oder probaly came through a furnace vent. Check that out as the source of the smell
John

pottstim
11-09-2000, 01:31 AM
Kevin is right about that Zep Citrus Cleaner and degreaser. You will find it in an orange spray can with a black lid. We use it in our pressroom at work. It will get rid of petroleum smells, and even clean off ink that goes into the press like it's nothing (black,red, yellow, and blue)
I think the stuff smells good..my supervisor hates it..says it's too strong.

Tim

HOMER
11-09-2000, 06:12 AM
try pouring vanilla extract on it, maybe even some powder carpet cleaner. Vanilla has a way of neutralizing smells sometime. Don't know if it will work on gas though.

Homer

awm
11-09-2000, 07:11 AM
works for me

TLS
11-09-2000, 09:18 AM
Baking Soda?

Runner
11-09-2000, 09:22 AM
As silly as it sounds - tomato juice. Let it set for about an hour, and hose off lightly. The acid neutralizes the odor. By the way, this works for skunk spray, too.

MOW ED
11-09-2000, 09:51 AM
For future spills as well as with any oil spilled on concrete , get a bag of dry ready mix concrete and sprinkle the powder on the spill - leave it for a few minutes then sweep up and repeat if necessary. Leave some mix on top overnight to help pull the moisture out of the concrete.
It will bind up alot of the liquid and make it easier to wash it away.

You can try a pressure washer in the spill area.
Good Luck. Don't smoke.

Currier
11-09-2000, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the great advice guys! Over the next few days I imagine I'll try about all of it!

bob
11-09-2000, 12:47 PM
How about running a fan in the garage to try to air it out.

Ricky
11-09-2000, 01:10 PM
Try peat moss for gas and oil spills. We carried it on the trucks on the fire dept. for spills. Works great as an absorbent but will not eliminate the smell though.

[Edited by Ricky on 11-09-2000 at 06:29 PM]

TLS
11-09-2000, 03:23 PM
How bout a match? Woooffff...smell gone.! Garage gone too!
Remember, vapors are what ignite gasoline. Just be careful.

PLS
11-09-2000, 04:23 PM
Try a product called "Oder Ban". We get it at Sam's Club. You can add it to the laundrey or mop with it, spray it on the carpet, drapes or many other ways. We have poured it into a pan and let it set on the table. It works.

plymouthvaliant73
11-09-2000, 06:13 PM
Tomatoe juice doesn't really remove the gasoline or skunk smell. It just overpowers the smell receptors in you nose so you smell the tomatoe juice instead of the gasoline or skunk juice.

The best way to get rid of the skunk smell is to mix a quart of three percent hydrogen peroxide (from the pharmacy) with a quarter-cup of baking soda and a teaspoon of liquid detergent (dish soap). This will actually chemically neutralize the smell. The mixture may bleach the dogs fur or your hair but at least the skunk smell will be gone.

For clothes, use one cup of laundry bleach per gallon of wash water.

Stay at least fifteen feet from any skunk so that you are out of range. If a skunk is facing you and starts to dance with its front feet, get away! It's going to spray!

Schless recommends the following formula to her dog-owner clients: Mix 1 quart of hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup of baking soda, and 1 teaspoon of liquid dish soap. Put Vaseline in the dog's eyes and cotton balls in the ears. Remove as much as possible of the yellow, gooey skunk spray, and then apply the solution onto a dry dog. Leave on a few minutes and then rinse with cool water. Dogs may need repeated washings, she said.

Keep in mind that if the skunk is rabid, there will be virus particles in the spray. Wear protective clothing and try to be careful to have no contact with the fluid.

http://www.bugspray.com/articles99/skunk.html

Getmow
11-09-2000, 07:41 PM
For safety's sake, don't pour gasoline in an attached garage. There are too many sources of ignition..the furnace and the water heater...and it is too close to the things you love..family and the roof over your head. BE CAREFUL.

thelawnguy
11-09-2000, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by plymouthvaliant73
The best way to get rid of the skunk smell is to mix a quart of three percent hydrogen peroxide (from the pharmacy) with a quarter-cup of baking soda and a teaspoon of liquid detergent (dish soap). This will actually chemically neutralize the smell. The mixture may bleach the dogs fur or your hair but at least the skunk smell will be gone.http://www.bugspray.com/articles99/skunk.html

Vets sell a product called SkunkAway it works wonders, de-scented myself and my truck inside and out.

Did you know when you get sprayed by a skunk you dont smell it but everybody else does? And send somebody else into the vets to buy the SkunkAway.