PDA

View Full Version : Mow first???

Big M LawnnSnow
02-15-2004, 06:37 AM
I see alot of guys doing different patterns of operation.
Trim then edge then mow then blow.
In which order do you find to work best and most efficiant?

MJ

iluvbermuda
02-15-2004, 08:33 AM
I usually mow first. No certain reason, I just do. Sometimes I will trim first, but its just to break the monotony.

Cut 2 Please
02-15-2004, 08:51 AM
I always edge and trim first. If the drive, sidewalk, or patio have debri on them I will go ahead and blow the debri into the yard so that it get mulched in and does not show when done. I may have to blow everything off one more time when done, but it is minimal and real quick. This way the final results look better.

tx_angler
02-15-2004, 09:10 AM
Exactly what Cut 2 Please said!

Outback Designz
02-15-2004, 09:13 AM
IMO, edging house and sidewalks first is best. If you mow first, then go back to edge the tall grass left it will just lay on lawn. By edging then mowing, you are mulching up that grass and it mixes with lawn. Leaving a clean finished cut. Then I finish with blowing grass off drive and sidewalks. Then if any grass in street I blow it off street. Imo it looks bad to spread the grass across street. Unprofessional.

TaylorLawn
02-15-2004, 09:31 AM
Cut 2 Please wrapped it up......ditto on that.

DennisF
02-15-2004, 09:43 AM
Ditto to Cut 2 please.

65hoss
02-15-2004, 10:07 AM
Huh? Going to the blower several times? You can take a mower down the sidewalks or driveway. You can use the trimmer as a kind of blower on the patios to blow the large stuff into the turf area to be mulched.

Anyway, most of the time its edge and mow first. The mower is a lot faster and more productive than a trimmer. With the mower I can get within about a 1/2" of everything. Then the trim time is very little because instead of have to cut a lot of grass with the trimmers its just trimming a little. You also have a guide on height.

rob1325
02-15-2004, 11:48 AM
I have one or two guys mow and one or two guys trim at same time, depending on property. If new or new employee then everyone mows first.

fga
02-15-2004, 11:55 AM
Depends om how tall the grass is. In mid summer, it doesn't matter too much around here. But with heavy rains causing taller growth, I'd trim first.

Richard Martin
02-15-2004, 12:08 PM
I've tried it all different ways and for me it doesn't really matter. If it's the first couple of cuts of the year I will trim first to get the leaves and other debris out onto the lawn. Please note that I trim "backwards" from nearly everybody else. Most people walk from left to right and hold the throttle in their right hand when they trim. This tends to throw the grass clippings and other debris up onto the house, beds etc. I walk from right to left and hold the throttle in my left hand which has the opposite effect. BTW, I am right handed.

LB Landscaping
02-15-2004, 12:11 PM
I'm with 65Hoss, I cut my trimming time down by mowing first.

Yard Perfect
02-15-2004, 12:57 PM
Lots of ways to go on this. My feeling is that I don't want to walk on the grass before I cut it. Lays it down a touch and thus my mow job is not as even. I trim and clean up after the mow. When my customers come out for a chat, I encourage them to stay off the lawn while we talk, and we always walk around the lawn before we cut it. Am I being too persnickety?

mtdman
02-15-2004, 01:07 PM
I weed trim the whole yard first. THen mow. Then if I'm sidewalk edging, I edge the sidewalks. Then blow, and go.

:D

naturescape
02-15-2004, 01:11 PM
I usually mow first. I'd rather edge first, but can't, reason being: The mower tires mat down the edging onto the walk so that you can't blow it off.

precisioncut
02-15-2004, 02:30 PM
Trim, mow, edge, then blow

TURF DOCTOR
02-15-2004, 02:36 PM
Mow trim an blow.I'm a creature of habit.

promower
02-15-2004, 02:39 PM
If I trim first I never trim out far enough for my mower to get. Then I have to fire up the trimmer walk all the way back and trim the tiny little spot I missed. For me mow 1st, 2nd trim what the mower couldnt get.

alpine692003
02-15-2004, 02:43 PM
Edge , trim , mow , then blow away..

Where do you guys blow your debris to? into the city streets?

PLI1
02-15-2004, 02:47 PM
I agree w/ 65hoss. When I have newer guys working, they know exactly what to trim after mowing is done and at what height. If an inexperienced person is to trim first and then they mow, they may forget some areas that the mower cannot reach, then they have to go back and get those areas they missed. On the other hand they may trim too much too low as well. Both instances= wasted time and less $ in your pocket.

landscapingpoolguy
02-15-2004, 03:11 PM
we do everything all at the same time...one guy trims, one mows, and one blows!

Chuck

Navig8r
02-15-2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by alpine692003
Edge , trim , mow , then blow away..

Where do you guys blow your debris to? into the city streets?

Personally... I Mow, trim/edge, then blow.....I find if I trim first, I either miss something and have to go back with the trimmer again, or I trim extra to avoid this, which takes time too.

When blowing... If it's green and came from the lawn, it goes back into the lawn...... except one prop I have with woods/brush across the street.. then all from that area of the street/drive goes across into the woods....

NCSULandscaper
02-15-2004, 06:23 PM
Mow, Trim, Edge, Blow

GLS
02-15-2004, 07:34 PM
Edge, Mow, Trim, Blow.

If there are leaves on the curbline, driveway, or sidewalks they get blown onto lawn first and then mowed.

TURF DOCTOR
02-15-2004, 07:38 PM
If you blow it in the street it is illegal.

Doster's L & L
02-16-2004, 01:03 AM
Mow, edge, trim, blow. I edge before trimming just incase a sprig of grass is left after edging, i can get it when i trim.
alpine, if it happens not to be illegal to blow grass in the streets where you are, go ahead and blow it out of the street. It is more professional.

LAWNS AND MOWER
02-16-2004, 01:11 AM
Mow, Trim, Blow, Go!! Find if I trim first, I can easily get carried away and trim more then is necessary.

hole in one lco
02-16-2004, 01:15 AM
1 trim that way you can suck up the clippings from trimming.
2 mow
3 edge that way your not running your tiers over your fresh edge
4 blow if there is a lot of grass i blow it into a pile and sweep it up if not back on the grass it gos

David Haggerty
02-16-2004, 01:36 AM
I'm same as 65hoss. Same reasoning too.
Start with the biggest equipment & work down to the small hand held trimmer.

Dave