PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever witness a crime while working?

Let it Grow
02-15-2004, 03:32 PM
It seems like in a lot of movies and TV shows the landscaper, gradener, plumber, etc. is many times the guy that witnesses the crime, and doesn't speak up until the end of the movie or show when the fate of the accused hangs in the balance.

Have any of you guys ever witnessed a crime while you were working on someones property?

I'm still waiting for my first one, but I'm sure it will happen...after all it does in the movies!!!

lawnman_scott
02-15-2004, 03:53 PM
I have seen cops surrounding a building with rifles in hand, a few accidents, and one house i do had been broken into when we went to mow it. The owners are out of town.

DUSTYCEDAR
02-15-2004, 04:12 PM
i have witnessed other locs work that was a crime LOL

Mac V2.0
02-15-2004, 04:37 PM
how about the crime being brought to you? I was assaulted the week of July 4 this past season

Master of the Lawn
02-15-2004, 04:58 PM
I was at a yard one day working in the back yard,when someone broke in the front door.I didnt even know till the cops showed up. Let me tell you that they gave the 1st degree. Searched me and the truck. Luckily the neighbor across the street witnessed the theft and cleared my name.

dkeisala
02-15-2004, 05:06 PM
I had an employee that when working for a previous employeer, had shots fired into the trailer they were working next to.

turf9
02-15-2004, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by DUSTYCEDAR
i have witnessed other locs work that was a crime LOL
It's a cryin shame

globalhog
02-15-2004, 05:25 PM
I always thought it would be a benefit to our customers for the LCO's to be mowing around and act like a deterent to any wise guys out there with evil thoughts on their mind.

pjslawncare/landscap
02-15-2004, 05:31 PM
Never whitnessed a crime while working, but we kept setting off this alarm at this home we did whenever my big mower came too close to the front door area. It was a silent alarm, but the state police showed up twice (seperate occasions) untill they made homeowner correct the problem.

dkeisala
02-15-2004, 05:37 PM
I bought a home 2 years ago. The previous owners were in an old folks home and the house sat vacant for awhile before the family put it on the market. The family hired some outfit to come in and spruce up the yard so the house showed better. They came in, did their thing then left only to return later in the evening to kick in the back door and rob the place. They knew it was vacant (belongings still inside) and the neighbors just thought they were coming back to finish things up.

chuckwk
02-15-2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Let it Grow
It seems like in a lot of movies and TV shows the landscaper, gradener, plumber, etc. is many times the guy that witnesses the crime, and doesn't speak up until the end of the movie or show when the fate of the accused hangs in the balance.

Have any of you guys ever witnessed a crime while you were working on someones property?

I'm still waiting for my first one, but I'm sure it will happen...after all it does in the movies!!!

Yea, a guy running down the road with one of my blowers.....

Also, was mowing a yard one time (client was not home, on vacation) .... the mowers set off their alarm system somehow... My helper and I were both in the back yard when we noticed a couple of officers, guns drawn, lurking around the corner .... they were clearing the scene cuz they thought the house was being burglarized ... got it cleared up quickly.... that did shake us up a little though.

Let it Grow
02-15-2004, 06:28 PM
My closest was when I was trimming the hedges and the alarm went off in the house next door. I moved to a spot that I could see the house but could still keep working, but I never saw anyone. I wanted to go check it out but I figured that the owner would drive up right when I was walking away!
The owner eventually showed up and turned it off.

locutus
02-15-2004, 08:23 PM
Yes, while in this business I was ROBBED of my strength, I had my youth STOLEN, and my ambition was KILLED.

dcondon
02-15-2004, 08:29 PM
YUP!!!!! people drinking ice cold beer on a hot summer day!!!

juststarting023
02-15-2004, 09:33 PM
We were eating lunch in a parking lot across the street from a bank that got robbed. nobody was hurt (thank god) we saw the car drive away . The guys were caught 3 hrs later near Cleveland die packs blew up on them. Ha Ha Ha

mh1314
02-15-2004, 09:52 PM
The amount of trash on the ground at commercial sites is often a crime.....

turf9
02-15-2004, 10:09 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by locutus
[B]Yes, while in this business I was ROBBED of my strength, I had my youth STOLEN, and my ambition was KILLED.

Thats a classic
Glad I'm not the only broken down wreck out there

CNYScapes
02-15-2004, 10:21 PM
About 10 years ago I was putting a new roof on a customers house and 5 unmarked police cars showed up for a bust. Two of the officers climbed up my ladder and went in through the open window and they walked out the front door with one of the peoples kids. The parents werent home at the time. Made the day a little more exciting.

EastProLawn
02-15-2004, 10:55 PM
Doing a small pavers job, when a big street fight broke out right in front of me and my worker, about 20 to 25, 17 & 18 year olds and then all of a sudden shots rang out, I grabbed my worker and ran to the back yard, called 911 on my cell phone and stayed put until the cops got there. Not a fun day:(

WeatherMan
02-15-2004, 11:53 PM
Ive seen a lot of hit and runs, Set some alarms off police come, Fights in commercial lots, The best one I seen was a police chase and the care drove into the building I was mowing scared the SH#T out of me

LawnsRUsInc.
02-16-2004, 02:28 AM
One of the guys that used to work for me was cuttin along the side of a busy road and found a hand gun while he was cutting. I took it into the police dept rapped up in a cloth, the guy cutting moved it out of the way just thinking it was scrap metal in the tall grass. The police were cought off gard a little.

When i first started in business "and funny about his post i just brought this up to a friend" we stored our equip. at a storage building and we pulled out to leave and to our suprise the street was closed out front of the storage. Turned out that they got cought growing drugs in the warehouse.

Jason

promower
02-16-2004, 03:00 AM
Years back when I worked for a newspaper company in Milwaukee we would have to go do paper routs for people that didnt show up for work. The district I worked in was real bad, crack houses, prostitutes, gangs you name it. First month on the job me and another guy were out and we thought we heard guns shots then a few more this time you could tell they were close. We jumped in the van and waited about 15 minutes . Went back to delivering papers turned the corner and there was an abulance with two paramedics giving CPR to some guy in the road. I ended up working there for about 4 years and saw a lot of crazy stuff but nothing like that. There was one older lady that worked there for as long as I did, shortly before I quit she was murdered. This city is just an hour from where I live now but there crime rate well exceeds ours, glad to be where I'm at now.

hole in one lco
02-16-2004, 04:08 AM
Have yet to see a crime in landscaping. But when i worked at the steel mill thous guys were stabbing one another every day. That was the only job i had were i had to carry a shank at so far.

Heres one of the better ones 2 Mexicans were arguing so the one grabs a metal bar and gos out side and brakes dudes windshield. After lunch the other one comes in and grabs the one that broke his windshield and puts him in the punch press broke both his legs.

Jason Pallas
02-16-2004, 11:32 AM
Working in Detroit for 20 years in this business - I've seen it all. The most memorable - the murders.
#1)Cutting a crappy rental house - wife next door comes out, blows away the husband and kills the next door neighbor (who the husband was sleeping with). She goes on rampage with the gun for about 20 minutes (my crew and I are trapped under our trailer and truck - for cover). Cops finally show up (it is Detroit and murders are low priority crimes ;) ) and shoot/kill her.

#2) Cutting another lawn across the street from a bank - guy walks past me and into the bank parking lot, kills 2 people at the ATM walks in the bank (doesn't rob it) kills 3 more and then walks outside and kills another guy and then kills himself - he was all f&^%cked on crack.

#3) Three weeks ago - plowing snow, I drive down the street to an account and see a snowplow truck (actually 2 trucks) pulled over to the curb (left wheels to the curb) and a dead body lying in the street (thought it was a fellow plow truck dirver). Turns out there were two other bodies that I didn't see. Some fine citizens of the city tried to jump and rob two off duty cops that were plowing snow - cops shot all three dead. Too bad - I'll cry tommorrow.

These are just a few of the bigger ones that come to mind. I can't even remember the arrests, B&Es, robberies, car jackings and other minor crap that I see on an almost weekly basis. This city sucks - but I guess it's good for a thread like this.

odin
02-16-2004, 12:08 PM
seen quite a few mowing hud homes in chicago...people shooting at each other drug buys ...muggings ...working those areas all 4 of us packed 9 mm 's and at times brought a rottie along with us.

parkwest
02-16-2004, 12:58 PM
I was checking on some houses I was building and came around the corner of one of the houses and a guy had his pick-up backed up to my plywood pile loading sheets onto his truck. I asked him if I could help him and he said sure. I asked if this was his lumber and he said nah, but these big builders don't have a clue how much lumber is being used on a job. I asked him what he would do if the builder happened to come by and check on the job. He said well the SOB had better be a big F**ker or he would kick his ass. I said what if he was my size. He said he would run like hell and hope the guy couldn't catch him. I said guess what *sshole, this ain't your lucky day.

collierlawn
02-16-2004, 01:33 PM
A few years ago we had a big ccount in a bad part of town. Well we showed up to the complex and it was filled with police cars. Evidently someone was murdered there that mornning. Needless to say I was not to excited to work there agian.