PDA

View Full Version : 48" Tank Trbl

Dennis
02-15-2004, 04:48 PM
I posted this in the mech section but not much luck so will try here.
I have a Cub Tank that tears up sod when I slow to a stop,it doesn't matter if it is a slow stop or from high speed to release of levers(no backward pull) the left will appears as though it has put on brakes while the right continues to roll freely, this quick stopping of the left wheel tears up the lawn, and has completly worn out the left tire 1n approx. 200 hrs of use, the right tire is still orig with over 500 hrs. Any help would be great, dealer says it is no prob, I must stop VERY slowly.
Thanks Dennis

DUSTYCEDAR
02-15-2004, 04:54 PM
is the parking break on the left side hanging up

Dennis
02-15-2004, 05:18 PM
Doesn't appear to be.
With back of unit jacked, I have left tire so it slowly turns in foward pos. no binding at all. When I advance speed on left and let go of lever tire stops abruptly, right side slows to very slow fwd direction.
Thanks for suggestion, but please don't give up, I am having to stop using unit on several lawns.
Dennis

robertyb
02-15-2004, 05:44 PM
Dennis,

Post this in the Hustler site. They have a rep. that monitors the site that will help you figure it out.

cantoo
02-15-2004, 05:49 PM
Dennis, I have the MTD Pro Z and have the same type of problem. My wife drives it most of the time she is pretty good on it but I leave marks. The controls are touchy and lots of practice is needed. I went as far as changing the tires because I thought that was the problem but it didn't make hardly any difference.

Dennis
02-15-2004, 06:06 PM
Robertyb
I posted to Hustler thanks for advice.

Cantoo
I have been practising for 2 years, I feather levers until almost no fwrd movement and it still locks up, not always though.
Maybe you can ask wife to describe her technique, I am desperate for a fix. ANd she can say she taught a man how to control a machine.
Thanks for all the help so far, keep ideas comming please.
Dennis

John Gamba
02-15-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Dennis
Robertyb
I posted to Hustler thanks for advice.

Cantoo
I have been practising for 2 years, I feather levers until almost no fwrd movement and it still locks up, not always though.
Maybe you can ask wife to describe her technique, I am desperate for a fix. ANd she can say she taught a man how to control a machine.
Thanks for all the help so far, keep ideas comming please.
Dennis
Dennis
Do you have dampers on that mower? There like little shocks. You might have a bad one?????
John

cantoo
02-15-2004, 06:21 PM
Shes' been trying to teach me for 2 years on that machine alone and over 20 years on everything else.
I also took off the rear weight bar to lessen the turf damage. The narrower tires I put on helped a little but not enough for me. It seems to me that it's a loss of traction issue, when you pull back on the levers the oil flow stops so quick the tires quit turning and that's what causes the damage. I just replaced the hydro on the right side. I use it for spraying and 2 years of carrying 40 gallons of water blew the bearing. It still has some hydro problems so this year it's going to be used for cutting only and will be sold soon.

NCSULandscaper
02-15-2004, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by John Gamba
Dennis
Do you have dampers on that mower? There like little shocks. You might have a bad one?????
John

I was thinking the exact same thing. Sounds exactly like my mower was doing and i ended up having to replace a damper to correct the problem. If you notice no resistance when you move the stick back and forth kinda like when you barely push it forward or backwards it sorta jerks in direction, its not a smooth takeoff or stop, thats whats wrong.

Dennis
02-15-2004, 06:29 PM
John
I wouldn't know a damper if it bit me, where would it be and approx what size is it.

Cantoo
Yeah your discrip. of how it responds it on the money. MTD is same as Cub, Do you know if it has Dampers?

Again thanks, I'm gonna get to the bottom of this, as long as everyone keeps replying.

Envy Lawn Service
02-15-2004, 08:56 PM
John
I wouldn't know a damper if it bit me, where would it be and approx what size is it.

It would be connected to the direction control linkage. It looks just like a little shock. mine is black. If you can, snap a picture of the pump and control linkage area. I have another idea, but it may not apply.

wriken
02-15-2004, 09:19 PM
ya they have dampners, at least my 60" and 72" does.

mh1314
02-15-2004, 09:48 PM
During the 200 hours have you changed out the hydro fluid. Air in one pump line and none in the other makes some strange things happen.

Dennis
02-15-2004, 10:58 PM
mh1314
YesI have changed the Fluid. And I thought of that being a prob 1st,however my manual says only to run the engine after you change and I did that. So if there is another way to bleed let me know.

Envy
I ckd the adj rod between the top of pump to the lever and I saw nothing but the dbl ended threaded rod.

Thanks for every ones attempts and please do not give up, work those brains, cause soon we'll be working everything but those.
Dennis

Dennis
02-16-2004, 04:32 PM
Any more Ideas?
Is there a way to bleed Hydro sys ?
Thanks Dennis

John Gamba
02-16-2004, 05:15 PM
Any more Ideas?
Is there a way to bleed Hydro sys ?
Thanks Dennis

I;ll have a pic of the damper tonight.
John

Dennis
02-16-2004, 06:09 PM
John
I Found it!! In my Manual it is called Cylinder return to Neutral.
But I am sure it is the prob. When I push the left lever foward and release it it returns slowly, the right one pops back quickley.
The bad news, it cost $90.00, oh well.
Thanks to all that tried to help.

cantoo you may want to look into this also.
Thanks
Dennis

Shultz
02-16-2004, 09:58 PM
sounds like you have it backwards, I expected the left to pop back and the right to return slow. ???? just my 2 cents before you drop the 100 bucks

NCSULandscaper
02-16-2004, 10:13 PM
They should go back at the same time, every mower i have ever tried, the sticks return at the same time. Check to see if one of the dampers are leaking? or take them off and test them out and see if one of them is bad.

Envy Lawn Service
02-16-2004, 10:29 PM
Dennis, are there any springs involved? That's what I was getting at before. Mine has the dampners. But it also has what's called reverse detent springs. In other words the springs hold tension on the levers while you are pulling them into reverse. If you just let go of the levers they will snap back to neutral. If too much tension is on these springs, they will pull the levers back past neutral. Since the neutral area is so small it does not take much for these springs and dampners to hold the levers away from the neutral zone. But at the same time, sometimes it can "feel" like you should be in accordig to the way the sticks feel. But you are still dragging a tire.

I don't know how yours is designed, but with mine, just the dampners don't create any pop/snap back of the levers. They just give a dampning effect like a hatchback shock on a car/van or screen door shock. They just slow the motion levers a little. The springs cause that quick snap back.

For me after a few days of driving and learning where neutral was, I disconnected the springs because I didn't need their guidance back to neutral anymore. Now the control sensitivity and ease of use is perfect.

Envy Lawn Service
02-16-2004, 10:56 PM
Here are some visuals.
Picture #1

Envy Lawn Service
02-16-2004, 11:00 PM
Different view, disconnected.
Picture #2.