PDA

View Full Version : checkers?????

apluslawn
02-15-2004, 04:29 PM
I want to know how people make checkers in their lawn Ihave tried before but did not get great results. will someoneplease explain the method for this. *ps* I have a stripe kit on my wb.

NCSULandscaper
02-15-2004, 04:31 PM
What type of grass are you trying to stripe? All you have to do is go one direction one week and go another direction the second week, keep alternating the directions.

apluslawn
02-15-2004, 04:39 PM
I am cutting mostly fescue and bermuda. bermuda doesnt stripe too well.

imograss
02-15-2004, 04:43 PM
Where are you in Nashville?

apluslawn
02-15-2004, 05:29 PM
i live and do most work in
hendersonville and goodletsville

Let it Grow
02-15-2004, 05:32 PM
Like NCSU said go one way one week and the opposite the next. If you want checkers the same day just double cut it using the above method...but you better be getting paid plenty extra for it.

chefdrp
02-15-2004, 08:02 PM
checkers like this?

Fireman D
02-15-2004, 09:23 PM
I mow the same way 2 weeks then alternate directions from then on.

locutus
02-15-2004, 09:29 PM
Works best on cool season grasses I.E. tall fescue, and a striping kit wouldn't hurt. Different directions as stated in previous responses.

R&K Ent.
02-16-2004, 09:07 AM
You have to mow in EXACTLY the same tracks as the last time mowed(rotating directions each mow). If you get off of the line then you will have to go the other 2 directions(to make either X's or square's). until you can't see the other lines anymore.

terracare
02-17-2004, 12:08 AM
Go in the same direction for two weeks in a row, trying your best to follow the same stripes. Then, you can either switch the pattern 45 degrees or 90 degrees. The pattern here I mowed at 45 degrees difference. Hope it helps

Sorry about the photo quality, I was fighting with program to make it smaller and was forced to crop out a rather large portion of it

Todd

qualitylandscaping
02-17-2004, 08:37 AM
This is striping on Kentucky Blue and Rye..

Fescue stripes really well. Can't say anything about Bermuda, don't have it here. Just keep going over the same tracks and stripes should start to show up..

David Shaw
02-17-2004, 09:11 AM
Check out "Picture Perfect" by David Mellor. Very good book on striping. Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't you chang your mowing pattern at least every other week?;)

gramps
02-17-2004, 09:13 AM
Thats a big checker board. Must be hard to move the piecies around. King me

qualitylandscaping
02-17-2004, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by David Shaw
Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't you chang your mowing pattern at least every other week?;)

The only reason you really NEED to change the mowing pattern is if the mower starts leaving ruts because of wet grass. Yes there are other reasons such as the color of the grass because of the constant angle the sun hits it at, but the primary reason is because of ruts.

To produce the best stripes, I usually double cut in one direction and then rotate and double cut at 45degrees the next week. I only double cut if I get paid for it, but some people want perfection, and they are ready to dish out the bucks to make it look perfect!:D