PDA

View Full Version : Side shoot vs. mulching

stevesmowing
02-15-2004, 08:24 PM
Hey guys i was just wondering what people prefer doing, side shoot or mulch.

NCL
02-15-2004, 08:51 PM
We used to mulch, but most mulching kits do not work that well.
Grass gets all clumped up, now we side shoot and it works so much better. just have to be careful about vehicles, people and beds not to shoot the grass at them. You'll have to find the right set of blades for your mowers that work best by not shooting to much grass like gators or mulching type.

locutus
02-15-2004, 08:59 PM
Side discharge. Always have with no complaints.

Pecker
02-15-2004, 09:52 PM
I prefer a mulch kit. For me it does a better job (mostly St. Augustine and Bermuda), even when damp. It just makes it alot easier to not throw clippings everywhere.

PaulJ
02-15-2004, 11:32 PM
I like to side discharge. I use double blades or Meg-mows so it chops thins up and spreads them out really well. And the biggest plus is I can switch to bagging in no more than the time it takes to hang the accelerator on the side. I hope to add an OCDC this year so I have even more options.

Richard Martin
02-16-2004, 05:30 AM
I discharge. There's no way you're going to mulch and achieve good results around here.

BobR
02-16-2004, 07:58 AM
Side discharge with OCDC.

BobR

allstar
02-16-2004, 08:45 AM
I must be missing something because I can't imagine NOT having mulch kits on my mowers,unless,of couse,I'm bagging.Personally,I don't like to leave any cut grass showing when I finish mowing and that's not possible without a mulch kit.Also,leaves and other debris(unless it's real heavy)virtually disappears.Before installing mulching blades I could go over a lawn ten times and there would still be cut grass showing.Sometimes,if the grass is real high I might have to double or triple cut to eliminate all the clippings but if I cut weekly it just takes one pass.I have mulch kits on my JD mowers.

BobR
02-16-2004, 09:13 AM
ALLSTAR - You are not missing anything. Mulching works for you in your area of the country, Here in the North East 'I' find it easier and more productive to use the Side Discharge as 'mulching' really slows down mowing speed and in most cases results in turning the mulched clippings into mush. Not to say never mulch in this area, when the Spring flush of growth settles down and we get into Summer grasses mulching is an option just one that I choose not to use.

BobR

65hoss
02-16-2004, 09:53 AM
Its more about location and types of grass that play a bigger factor in mulching.

allstar
02-16-2004, 10:19 AM
Yeah,I can understand why something like winter rye wouldn't mulch,because it's so wet,but I would still think that during the warmer months up north alot of the grasses would mulch OK.No?

Fareway Lawncare
02-16-2004, 12:35 PM
Depends solely on property size. Small lots are mulched, larger lots where there is room to throw are discharged. Usually can mow faster in discharge mode.

PaulJ
02-16-2004, 01:05 PM
It's simple for me. I have one main mower that ia have to use on almost everything. Some of those lawns Have to be bagged sometimes. because of growth or other conditions. So I cannot have a mower dedicated to JUST mulching with mulching baffles on it. Also using double blades chops the clippings up small enough that most fall down into the turf and don't law on top. So everything still looks nice and clean.

Works for me.

Tvov
02-16-2004, 01:29 PM
We side discharge with OCDC. Gator blades and/or double blades. We find it is faster if necessary to double-cut and then use backpacks to break up any clumps of grass. We don't leave any cut grass visible when we are done.

We have some fast growing lawns that we put on a five-day mowing schedule in the spring and fall if necessary.

As has been said, a lot depends on grass type.

MasterForm
02-16-2004, 01:43 PM
When you use a MasterChute, you have it both ways:

You can do either with the flip of a switch.

sildoc
02-16-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by MasterForm
When you use a MasterChute, you have it both ways:

You can do either with the flip of a switch.
Do you have it for toro walk behinds?

PLI1
02-16-2004, 04:39 PM
We side discharge most of the time w/o any problems. We mulch one large site that we do, but we mow this one 2X per week.

MasterForm
02-16-2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by sildoc
Do you have it for toro walk behinds?

We sure do. It does require 12V electric start.

sildoc
02-16-2004, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by MasterForm
We sure do. It does require 12V electric start.
Now thats a problem. Thanks.

crawdad
02-17-2004, 09:31 AM
I chute it out the side shoot.
Crawdad