PDA

View Full Version : Embarassing Stories?

CNE
02-15-2004, 08:36 PM
I have an embarrassing story. I was mowing a yard last summer for a friend(he was in a wreck and unable to do it himself) The front yard has a slope down towards a ditch. The ditch is very shallow but steep sloped. I was going to make one more pass on the bank with my ZTR and then finish it with a pusher. The grass was wet and it started sliding down the hill. I tried to stop it but it was no use. I slid down to the ditch and the deck dug in. I turned the mower towards the road to drive out and the rear bumper bottomed out leaving the tires spinning in the air. I had to get my truck out in the street totally blocking the road. I only had some pull type tiedowns in the truck. Keep in mind this is a 1100 lb mower. I hooked the only 2 straps I had to the mower and broke one of them trying to pull it out. Boy did I look like a real professional!!!!

Kelly's Landscaping
02-15-2004, 10:58 PM
Relax I have gotten stuck a good 3 or 4 times with the rear plate guards on the lazer that protect the pulleys. Turns out you go over a curb to get down sometimes you can actually get stuck if the lawn is just a little higher then normal.

SodKing
02-15-2004, 11:46 PM
one of several.....

I had an employee several years ago mowing an estate with several prized newly planted apple trees growing in the orchard. Well this employee saw fit to remove the side deflector of the mower in order to cut closer to the tree trunks. Instead of trimming the grass growing near the tree base he cut too close and severed the tree at blade height. Well as bad as this was what was worse was that he took the severed seedling and stuck it back in the ground hoping the homeowner would not notice. When I was called about it and visited the site I was speechless. Fortunately, so was the homeowner. I replaced the trees for the homeowner but first I fired the idiot.....oh I mean employee...ooops...former employee.

promower
02-17-2004, 08:19 PM
I have one that still makes me laugh. Me and another guy were mowing for a different company. Commercial job fairly large, it was a beautiful day around 2:00 a few more hours and I would sitting at home enjoying miller time. I was finishing up mowing my section and driving the mower back to the truck when a convertible pulled into the parking lot with two absolutely gorgeous women in the car. Got back to the truck and turned to my fellow worker to see if he was enjoying the beautiful scenery as I was. He sure was, mowing a pretty straight line I might add considering he was looking straight to his left, although he was getting pretty close to running into a parked car if he didnt pay attention soon. You know what happened next? Actually better, he noticed the car at he last second where he went straight into shock mode, he was driving a pistol grip WB and seeing a car he was about to hit he freaked and took a hard right, so hard he lost control spun around and flew off the mower. The mower he was using was old piece of crap belt drive with no safety kill if you lose control of the mower. The mower took off right by the convertible hopped up onto an island and smashed into a tree. I about pissed myself and the girls were just in awe, which turned to laughter. This guy was so red in the face it looked like he fell asleep on the beach for 10 hours in 100 degree heat. No one was hurt not even the mower, but my partners pride was a little damaged.