PDA

View Full Version : hydraulic dump kit for truck bed

tpirobert
11-09-2000, 12:23 PM
Has anyone experience converting stock truck bed to dump? Northern Tool has a kit for $850. I have 8' bed on Chevy 3/4 ton and want to dump small loads of mulch, brush etc.. I have mesh sides/ladder rack that allow hauling 4+ cu.yd. of mulch. A brand new 1 ton dump would be nice, but don't need to spend big $ or take on more debt at this time. Any thoughts? Thanks.

TLS
11-09-2000, 04:29 PM
Don't know how they would work. Wouldn't the bed hit the cab when raising? I would stick to Truck Craft aluminum dump bed inserts. Plus you would never get your load to slide over your wheel wells. Anyone have the inserts? I would be interested, but there goes the looks of your nice pickup.

bob
11-09-2000, 04:36 PM
$850 for a pick up dump bed sounds like a good price. My local JD dealer wants $550 for a Gator dump bed!

landscaper3
11-09-2000, 04:58 PM
We had one of those rams on a Ford 1ton worked real good, We went to E-Z Dumper inserts instead but those rams work good and if you cant or dont want a EZ Dumper that is a very good second choice.

tpirobert
11-09-2000, 06:10 PM
More Info:

Shipping weight of kit is 200 lbs.
Load capacity is 4000lbs.

How much weight are dump inserts & what is capacity?
I think my plastic bed insert would help loads slide out OK, but don't know for sure.

luckylawnboy
11-09-2000, 06:34 PM
I personally don't have one, but my best friend who farms, has them on a couple of trucks. It works great. You Have to lift the bed to fuel up though. They lift round bails with it easily. Also they removed the bumper because of the reese hitch. If you put a DMI bumper on I think it works better. But not sure how it all works.

Five Star Lawn Care LLC
11-09-2000, 06:59 PM
a standard Ez-dump weighs 670 pounds and the system will dump up to 6000 pounds......so basically u can dump how ever much weight your truck can handle. Ez-dump makes one of the best dump inserts. i think if u were to turn your bed into a dumper you would run into a lot of problems. They DODN'T manufacture truck bed to be able to dump. I payed $2200 w/ install for my ez-dumper and it has been one of the most vital assests over the last few months. If u cant afford a dump truck and ez-dumper is the way to go.

lawrence stone
11-09-2000, 07:26 PM
http://www.loadhandler.com/

landscaper3
11-09-2000, 07:41 PM
We ran a load handler in our truck. worked ok but the mat only fits between fenderwells. So you have alot of material (whatever your hauling) stuck where load handler cant go. Load handler also doesnt like to move leaves when your hauling them do to they have no weight so what we did was stuck some cinderblocks at the end of the loadhandler tarp so it would unload, another problem we had with loadhandler unless your truck has a spray in liner or a plastic liner (YUK) it will really damage bed if hauling stone and dirtgets cuaght under tarp and ouch!!. We learned our lesson and went with the dump ram with a spray in liner to protect bed worked nice. After a period of time moved up to the E-Z Dumper even better. Its like this you buy what you need and dont settle for something that might work when you can get something that does work (you have to spend money to make money!!!) Its like mowing a ball field, do you use a 21" mower or buy a 48" or bigger mower to do the job!!! Start with the ram if you cant get the EZ DUMPER dont settle for anything else.

Getmow
11-09-2000, 08:36 PM
I have an EZ dump in one of my trucks. The same one has been through three trucks. It will dump more than the truck is rated to carry. The problems I have heard with the kits that convert the bed of your truck into a dump are:
1) The dead spaces behind the fenderwell
2) The location of the hitch.
3) Most importantly-The bed of your truck is not designed to hadle the weight at the mounting points. I have seen a bed that the mounting hardware pushed through. For light stuff it would be OK but don't try any soil or stone.
If you want a dump-buy an insert or a dedicated dump truck or trailer.

snow
11-09-2000, 08:44 PM
www.loadhog.com -this is a new concept, which uses an air bag to lift the pickup body up. check it out.

Bryan

jaclawn
11-09-2000, 09:10 PM
I have one of the kits mounted on a flatbed truck. It works well, however, my flat bed is much more sturdy than a pickup bed. I have heard, (never saw any evidence) of standard pickup beds having structural problems after some use.

I looked at the Loadhog that was mentioned one time at a show. They have a nicer hinge setup, but the price was close to that of an insert. I was a little leary of the air bag.

I was a distributor of the loadhandler when they first came out in the early 90's. THey work fairly well, for the price. You do need a slippery surface in the bed. You will have some spill off in the wheel wells, but that is worth the time saved vs. hand unloading. It will beat up your tailgate from repeted use.

The only trouble that I had with it was unloading brush. The brush was wedged against the sides of the pickup bed, and the conveyor just slid out from underneth it.

LJ lawn
11-09-2000, 11:21 PM
i also loked into putting the bed lift kit on my truck but after looking at all the options i went with a DEL HYDRAULICS bed insert.EXCELLENT !!!! after looking at the ez dump insert and how shoddily it's built with the hydraulics under the center of the insert i went with the DEL unit.TRUCKCRAFT makes a real nice insert also they make alumminum(big bucks) and steel.check out their website.

thelawnguy
11-09-2000, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by jaclawn
I have one of the kits mounted on a flatbed truck. It works well, however, my flat bed is much more sturdy than a pickup bed. I have heard, (never saw any evidence) of standard pickup beds having structural problems after some use.

The local truck body installer will no longer install these kits on ~1990+ pickup beds because, he says, too many problems with the beds falling apart. They just flat out arent designed to be hoisted. If I wanted one for my Dodge I would have to install it myself.

tpirobert
11-09-2000, 11:47 PM
Thanks for input...got me re-thinking what will be best for my needs and hold up to use. Perhaps best to pay more and add little more weight for insert dump. Had not thought about moving insert to new truck when needed. Also had not thought about potential bumper/hitch problems. What was I thinking? Thanks for your thoughts and advice.

gusbuster
11-10-2000, 12:27 AM
You have to know how to install these kits. All of the work trucks that I have ever owned had dumps (lift's) installed.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=976030&a=7556885&p=27223279
On this truck, the kit is just bolted to the frame and bed. Next truck, all I have to do is un-bolt it and install in the new truck. The only real modification we had to do was on my rear bumper

The downsides:
Can't have too heavy of a load if you need to gas up. The lift has to come up every time you need gas.
Got to be careful on bumpy terrain when you have no load in bed. You can rip your bed or damage your frame.
On this truck, while dumping, tailgate needs to be removed.

Not so true statements:
Grass does stick, but all you have to do is jerk your truck back and forth.
You do have to make sure like cut up pallets and branches are in between the wheel wells.
John

TLS
11-10-2000, 11:02 AM
Gusbuster

No offense, but your frame looks tweaked. It looks like the center of your frame is lower than the front and back. Maybe this is due to the hinge in the back? I take pride in the looks of my truck and bed to cab gaps would not be tolerable to me. Definately cool to be able to dump though. Im going to save my money for an Aluminum Truck Craft.

lawrence stone
11-10-2000, 11:18 AM
Why install the dump insert in the bed in the first place?

I would remove the pick up bed and put it in storage and install truck type tail lights and mud flaps to the frame.

Why carry all that extra weight around and beat the bed to
death at the same time?

TLS
11-10-2000, 11:30 AM
Heck why even have a Cab!! Just take it off too, put it in storage and bolt on a beach chair. A lot less to wash when it gets dirty. Then just put a TORO deck out the front of the truck and then you dont even need a mower!!

landscaper3
11-10-2000, 04:53 PM
Why insert a dump insert in your bed? Thats the easiest one to answer, there is absolutly no substatute unless you have a dump truck. If you own one you will know how valued these really are. You dont hurt bed at all with insert the EZ Dumper bolts right to original bed bolts and you can remove and bed is back to original. The EZ Dumper only weighs 600lbs (stone) and if you have a good truck its not a added weight, 2nd the EZ Dumper does not beat bed to death at all. Like I siad before we own them in our Fords and were one of the best investments. All the hoopla about bed damage, added weight and more is plain false!!! If you own one you will know its all false and if you dont own one you will not really know!!!!

turfman99
11-10-2000, 09:19 PM
Dump insert is the way to go.

Cost is returned to you in 18 months or less on the time ( labor) saved in the dumping process, not to mention the savings on backs.

tpirobert
11-11-2000, 08:45 AM
Turfmann

Anything that saves back, groin, knees, joints etc. is a vauluble tool to me. In starting this post I neglected to mention that as a primary reason for wanting a dump bed. Labor and time savings are always a good thing for body and wallet. I'm not saying you're a geeser, but at 42 I know I am. Thanks again to all who have posted their 2 cents, seems like dump insert is winning the vote....but still waiting on mor Fla contractor votes:)

[Edited by tpirobert on 11-11-2000 at 12:48 PM]

turfman99
11-11-2000, 11:29 AM
In this business at 43, I am a gezzer and make no bones about it. If I had the technolgy and the equipment avaliable when I started, I might be able to lift above my shoulders, wear a back pack or blower for more than 10 minutes, or any other number of things.

A dump insert is the first thing one of our trucks gets. Does not got into service until it has one. I pay my guys well, and I don't want them at the dump more than 10 minutes including unhooking and waiting in line.

BTW, Since voted for Perot in 92, I think I punched the wrong hole. I am going to file a complaint Monday morning.

Toddppm
11-16-2000, 09:17 PM
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1269492&a=9396824
Just picked this up from a dealer today , he didn't have any info about it yet but said it's works pretty slick, should be around $600-700. Looks like a good alternative.

tpirobert
11-16-2000, 11:25 PM
Todppm

Hey, that does look slick. I wonder if anyone here has experience with that product. Thanks for the photo link.

gusbuster
11-17-2000, 01:37 AM
Before going with hydro lifts, we used a similar home made system as the above link. We used old conveyer wheels,1" plywood two old lawnmower blades, chain, bolts and nuts. It works pretty well, the only draw back is garbage gets under the plywood.
John

jaclawn
11-17-2000, 09:41 AM
That does not look like the angle is steep enough for material to slide off. I'd like to see it with wet material in the bed.

googles
12-22-2005, 02:08 PM
I have the dump kit on my silverado pickup. i dont like it because it weak. they make it seem like you can dump a lot of weight. you cant. i cant dump more then a yard of dirt. its only good for leaves and light mulch. plus everything gets hold up by the wheel wells. plus if you are loaded with to many wet leaves or just too much weight you still have to dig it out of bed plus you can put gas in the dump because you have to now lift the bed to do it. buy a dump truck

googles
12-22-2005, 02:10 PM
yes go with the ez dump. i have the dump kit and its terrible. it not strong and there are too many draw backs such as not being able to put gas in truck when it a heavy load

TLS
12-22-2005, 05:04 PM
Nice....another 5+ year old thread dusted off. :dizzy:

Googles, what specific brand did you have? On the units I've seen, fueling is done through the rear wheel well.

The Captain
12-26-2005, 12:05 PM
I've just had a Bagley insert installed on my '95 Silverado. They are located in Alliance, OH. It is an 8' unit, weighs about 500#, and cost installed with tax about $2400. I have the extended cab so fueling is not a problem and the hydralic ram pushes high enough to clean everything from the bed. I've only dumped about ten loads but I really like it. Up in abut 30 seconds down in about 40 (gravity brings it down).

www.bagleyinc.com is the link.

Any questions?, PM or email me jwoods@dialupweb.com

flykelley
12-26-2005, 12:38 PM
a standard Ez-dump weighs 670 pounds and the system will dump up to 6000 pounds......so basically u can dump how ever much weight your truck can handle. Ez-dump makes one of the best dump inserts. i think if u were to turn your bed into a dumper you would run into a lot of problems. They DODN'T manufacture truck bed to be able to dump. I payed $2200 w/ install for my ez-dumper and it has been one of the most vital assests over the last few months. If u cant afford a dump truck and ez-dumper is the way to go.Hi 5star where in Michigan did you get it installed? I'm in Waterford Mi and looking for a ezdumper in the spring.

Thanks Mike

RedWingsDet
12-26-2005, 04:53 PM
Hi 5star where in Michigan did you get it installed? I'm in Waterford Mi and looking for a ezdumper in the spring.

Thanks Mike

Hey Mike, They are not $2200 anymore. When I was looking for one when I got my Chevy, I called about 10 different places, the cheapest one I found was $2600 or $2800... Here's the place I called.

Brown's Trailers, Inc.
12975 East US 12
CLINTON, MI 49236
Phone: 517-456-4520
Fax: 517-456-6806

Are you going to Offer a Delvery service? If your getting into landscaping, im selling my 05 20footer trailer.

Anyway, hope that helps Mike.

flykelley
12-27-2005, 03:15 PM
Hi Mark
I'm thinking about it, have alot of my customers asking me to get into the lawn care end of the business. I may just get into the delivery end of it, just checking some things out.

Regards Mike

RedWingsDet
12-27-2005, 03:32 PM
Mike, thats cool. I'll tell ya what I learned these past few years, there almost no money in lawncare around here unless you have ATLEAST 100 accounts. However delivery wouldnt hurt, espissally if you work nights and have a truck anyway, plus with an ezdumper or truckcraft you could sell your snowex and get the salt adapter for the insert.

Im getting out of lawncare this next year, and not going to get back into it until after college, and when I do, the local companies will know it. LOL. Im just sticking to landscaping now, its more money and more work, but less time, and less pressure when it comes to time.

But anyway Mike, if you decide to do lawncare I have a trailer, mower, and commercial weed whips and edgers I will most likely sell.