PDA

View Full Version : Purpose of Bed Edger

J Hisch
02-16-2004, 01:03 PM
I am not a big landscaper, mostly turf maintenance. But i have a few questions. IS a bed edger for new bed installation or for existing beds. Also does it help with keeping grass from creeping into the beds?

MudslinginFX4
02-16-2004, 01:10 PM
Yes to all.... new bed installation, existing beds and it helps keep grass from creeping into the beds. I think it makes the property look a lot better and professioinal when it is edged with a bed edger. It's one of the things that makes my customers properties stand out from their neighbors who cut their own grass of have professional cut it and not use an edger at the beginning of the season. (I'm guessing your talking about the 3 or 4 wheeled edgers, not a stick edger).

Tvov
02-16-2004, 01:13 PM
Are you talking about the larger, 3 or 4 wheeled edgers?

The larger ones can be used for existing beds, but depending on the design, you may not be able to get alongside the plants, maybe 6"+ out.

They certainly can help with grass creeping into the beds, as long as you cut deep enough. More than 3" if possible, which stick edgers can have trouble with. Bluegrass can send deep and surprisingly far reaching roots.

turf9
02-16-2004, 02:22 PM
tvov has it the big ones agreat for power but klunky to use.The stick edgers are light easier to use but lack power. I find if you power edge in the spring. And are very carefull with your 90 degree with the line trimmer it can look good for 4 months and its one less thing in the truck or trailer.just my opinion

J Hisch
02-16-2004, 03:50 PM
THanks, I am talking about the large wheel edgers not stick edgers. I want it to make the beds look good and help keep grass back.