PDA

View Full Version : FL Sod ?'s

turkp15
02-16-2004, 07:03 PM
Whats up guys

With Spring coming soon I wanted to be able to lay down sod this year so I have a couple ?'s. Whats Industry time to lay down 5,000 sq. Ft. of St. Aug. grass? How much could I charge per. Sq. Ft.? What are some ways to get rid of existing grass? Things I must do to prep the ground? Will I need to get a soil test or does top soil have everthing I need in it? If theres anything else I need to know please let me know.

Thanks,
Jeff

Fantasy Lawns
02-16-2004, 07:32 PM
Well let's see .... 400 sq ft per pallet of St. Aug soooo need 13 pallets .... BEYOND cost n prep .... Labor going be from $100-65 per pallet thrown .... may be less .... cost really needs to be based on your cost n not what anyones else says

Time should be 60-45 min. per pallet thrown .... depends on quality of sod ... how close the pallets are to the area .... prep is best with a sod cutter (rented is like $65 a day)

For us installed with tear out, sod & install is $230-250 per pallet

turkp15
02-16-2004, 07:53 PM
Fantasy Is that with hauling the old sod out to? How much for a pallet of St. Aug. in your area? 45 -60 mins. per pallet is that 1 or 2 guys?

Jeff

sprout
02-16-2004, 08:06 PM
:cool: Well lets see! 5000 sq. thats 10 palletts. The last time I looked the sod was about $80 a pallett.
Sod--------------------$800
labor-------------------$800
Miscellaneous labor-$100
Spraying R/UP--------$50
Spray the old grass with R/UP, leave the old ground alone. Soil test? maybe, maybe not. And whats with the top soil, Fl is all sand every where. Some of the nicest lawns in Fl are down in South Fl, and they have nothing but sand and rocks. Hope this helps.

Turf Technologies
02-16-2004, 09:02 PM
We $90- 117 a pallet for delievery. We prep by spraying Round up and somtimes remove the old turf.Thenwe charge $250 to lay it per pallet.

turkp15
02-16-2004, 11:55 PM
I was told that mud base sod growns better then sand base sod is there any truth to this?

Jeff

Danimal
02-17-2004, 01:09 AM
dirt or mud as you call it tends not to breakup as bad when laying it but I don't think it would grow any better if they were both fed the same

Turf Technologies
02-17-2004, 08:25 AM
There might be some truth to it, the Sod we order comes from the Everglades, muck farms, and its some of the greenest and thickest sod I have ever seen.

turkp15
02-17-2004, 09:27 AM
Turf Tech is this St. Aug. your talking about?

Jeff

DennisF
02-17-2004, 09:46 AM
I'm just north of Tampa and here the going rate is 32 cents per square foot for Floratam (St Augustine) installed. I just had a new home built and that's what the sod contractor charged for 8500 SF installed. Total price was $2720 for sod and $175 for delivery. If you have to do a tear out of old turf the price usually doubles to 62 cents per SF.

65hoss
02-17-2004, 10:06 AM
32 cents per sf???

BTW, homebuilders get much cheaper prices because they deal with just a few people to lay sod. They give them a large quantity of sod jobs so they get it much cheaper.

DennisF
02-17-2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by 65hoss
32 cents per sf???

BTW, homebuilders get much cheaper prices because they deal with just a few people to lay sod. They give them a large quantity of sod jobs so they get it much cheaper.

That's what the general contractor charged me for the sod install. I'm sure that he added on a little profit for himself.

65hoss
02-17-2004, 10:29 AM
The GC made some and the people that got screwed was the landscape contractor. Too bad, if he only knew his numbers...

turkp15
02-17-2004, 11:51 AM
Dennisf where are you in FL?

Jeff

DennisF
02-17-2004, 12:09 PM
Homosassa. Sixty miles north of Tampa.

Turf Technologies
02-17-2004, 12:46 PM
Yep its Flortam. We just layed 13 pallets two weeks ago.

floridalawncare
02-17-2004, 07:10 PM
it's going fot about 80-90 bucks a pallot installed were i'm at. that's flora-tam. some people are getting much as 100$. just be sure there's not too much grass when you lay it. if you spray round-up, give plenty of time for it to aleviate before you put your new sod in. flora-tam will quickly get into the yard and kind of do it's own weed control if the ground is prepped right. i wouldn't lay it on shell rock or something like that. you'd be waisting alot of time. people do this, but have alot of maintenance down the road with irrigation and fertilization, and you still won't get real good results at this either. make sure you got some good muck or something. and at least 3" or so of it. people will sometimes argue about this, but when you don't do it right, go check out someone's yard that did.

zturncutter
02-17-2004, 07:53 PM
I hope you folks that are spraying roundup on these lawns have pest control operators licenses. The limited license only allows using roundup in existing planter beds.:(

Turf Technologies
02-17-2004, 08:30 PM
it's going fot about 80-90 bucks a pallot installed were i'm at. that's flora-tam. some people are getting much as 100$.

We pay that just to have it shipped to us, geez!

kutnkru
02-21-2004, 12:10 PM
Although this doesnt answer your question recently learned this interesting tid-bit of information pertaining to Floratam Sod ,,,

It was developed by the Universities of Texas A&M and Florida ,,, hence Floratam was born !

Kewl.

MTR
02-21-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by DennisF
I'm just north of Tampa and here the going rate is 32 cents per square foot for Floratam (St Augustine) installed. I just had a new home built and that's what the sod contractor charged for 8500 SF installed. Total price was $2720 for sod and $175 for delivery. If you have to do a tear out of old turf the price usually doubles to 62 cents per SF.

That is about same, 30-35 cents per sqft, and double if tearing off existing grass.
Floratam is my fav, very beautiful turf if properly fertilized and watered. As far as sod quality, muck or sand/muck mix, they both do good as long as you have good foundation, i.e., your lot is clear of rock or debris and been prep with at least 1/4 of quality top soil. I have seen many lawns, but lawns that were prep with top soil before laying sod shine the best provided enough fert.
On Round-up treatment to kill Bahia and put Floratam on, you have to wait at least 3 weeks after spraying before laying sods cause, I have one customer that was so hurried did himself sodding less than a week after Round-up treatment, I was there and it was bad, all brown and dying, resulting in resodding 2nd time. Good business, laying sod, many people want to have St. Augustine as their yards instead of Bahia which is grass from hell!