PDA

View Full Version : Pricing On 5 To 10 Thousand Sq.ft.

BLAKMB
02-16-2004, 10:30 PM
I live in a large community/neighborhood. I thought about targeting yards close to home. Most home owners are middle class income. What prices would you throw at them for a mow, trim, blow, and edge? Thanks for your input.

65hoss
02-16-2004, 10:39 PM
Oh I don't know. Off the cuff, why not $12 per cut. That should get it.

coonman
02-17-2004, 12:05 AM
$25-35...we have many in that size range

MacLawnCo
02-17-2004, 12:10 AM
the more the merrier :)

ej Landscaping
02-17-2004, 01:16 AM
you should charge 25-35 depending on how many of those jobs you can string together. if you can get 4-5 on the same street charge 30, if not go 35.

Five Star Lawn Care LLC
02-17-2004, 01:18 AM
we are right around 18-28...it really all depends on the acctual property....

Willis
02-17-2004, 03:02 AM
$20 stop fee plus a $1 per thou sq. ft. of lawn.

:confused:

Mikes Lawn Landscape
02-17-2004, 06:31 AM
What you talkin' bout Willis,
Sorry couldn't resist.

Your pricing actually makes good sense do you use that as your base for coming up with prices.

For example 1/4 acre lot = 10,900
minus house driveway and beds -4000

So 6900 sq ft of lawn

$20.00 + $7.00= $27.00

I would probably go ahead and round up to $30.00 but your method seems to make it pretty simple to bid smaller lawns consistently.

Can you elaborate on your pricing a little more? What conditions would add more to the price and does your strategy even out over several lawns? What type mowers you using for these type lawns.

Thanks

MOW ED
02-17-2004, 06:55 AM
Obviously this question (with many varieties) has been asked countless times before. Being you are new to the site I will give you my answer.
Charge to cover your expenses and make a profit.

Sounds simple but think about it. You may be looking for a ballpark figure by asking almost 15,000 people for their opinion but you have to do what is right for you.
While our figures will probably be close, I don't know that for sure. Pricing is THE number one reason why people go out of business. Too low and you will get lots of work but you wont cover your costs and eventually you are done. Too high and you will get no work and eventually you are done.
You have to know your costs. That is based on your equipment, vehicle, insurance, gas, employee pay and other expenses. There are other factors such as do you do add on services. Can you sell additional services to this customer. That may or may not figure into your price. Kind of like doing full maintenance and spreading all costs over 1 bid.
It isn't accurate for me to tell you that you should get $xx.xx for a 7500 sq ft lawn. If you do it with a push mower, you will be able to pull more profit out because your costs are lower. If you do it with a Z you have more costs and have to charge accordingly.

Research your costs, I will tell you that the price should not be based on being the lowballer in your neighborhood. Good Luck.

BULLGRAZER
02-17-2004, 09:54 AM
MOW ED,

VERY WELL PUT!!! You just saved me from having to write almost the exact response - I could not agree more. With that said, this is what I would like to add.

I do not understand how anyone can blanket cost from a sight unseen 'description' such as BLAKMB provided.

I know for my company, we take into consideration many other factors other than just the location and area income level...oh you know - like the actual property itself. Our service cost is determined by several factors and conditions specific to the project lawn and landscape such as size, access, terrain, obstacles, potential hazards and required time.

I have several accounts that border and/or that are within 100 yards of each other - they do not pay the same. To date, I have yet to be convinced that you can 'cookie cutter' mowing prices and have it be fair for both parties (can go either way - and that leads to other situations - going broke or getting dumped).

What I have found time and time again, once I explain this to the customer (all personality types) they respect this business style and generally hire us (not always - there are still those that will save a few bucks [so they think] because of 'price' but we all know how that generally turns out [ uh...o...uh Mr. Clark, can you come back out and talk with me about my quote...these other guys did not...])

Just my 2 1/2 cents worth.

-=KC=-

65hoss
02-17-2004, 09:56 AM
What? You don't like my $12 per cut price?

DennisF
02-17-2004, 11:49 AM
If you want to compete, charge the going rate for your area. Find out what other LCO's charge for similar properties and charge accordingly.

The customer doesn't care about your costs. All he/she cares about is price, quality and reliability. If you can meet those customer demands...you'll do well.