PDA

View Full Version : Gas or diesel? Price and Mileage

kelly Lawn
02-17-2004, 01:05 AM
Thank you all for the advice. As you could see from my post, this was my first time using the website and it has prooven very useful. i am convinced to get the 2500 hd but my next question is if I should get the diesel for about an extra six grand on top of an already very pricy truck. How much better will the mileage be and how much more will the maintenance be? I know the resail value will be higher.

Thanks

upsondown
02-17-2004, 07:22 AM
Well - I'm a Ford man myself - so I won't address the issue of an inferior make of truck....LOL..... but - as for Diesel vs a Gasser - there is no comparison in my opinion. Once you own a Diesel - you will never want a gasser again. The power is superior and the motor will LONG OUTLAST a gasser. The maintenance is something I do myself. If you do decide on a Diesel - by all means - use K&N oil and air filters.............once you check them out - you'll never want anything else. The air filter on a diesel is CRITICAL - and there ain't nothin out there that compares to a K&N filter - you buy it once - and take it out - clean it - recharge it and put it back in and you're good to go. The diesel mileage is awesome compared to a gasser. Not only in trucks but in my ztr's as well - like i said - once you have a diesel - you'll never want a gasser !!! A real truck doesn't use spark plugs !

Blades of Steel
02-17-2004, 08:05 AM
I'll 2nd that, the make (chevy ???? WHY!!! Just kidding) and deisel !!!!

scott's turf
02-17-2004, 08:54 AM
I own both a gas and diesel F250. I get 14 mpg with my gasser and about 20 with the diesel both empty. Like the others have said the diesel has tons of power and torque. They are great for towing and high miles. In my case I am not convinced that maintenance cost less. Everything diesel is expensive. But to break down the cents/ mileage:

Gas about .11/mi
Diesel .08/mi

Based on $1.60 per gallon for gas and $1.70 for diesel

So the the break even point if the diesel costs $6000 more is 75000 miles. I bought my diesel used and only put on about 7k miles per year on it. Economically I think I will buy a gasser next time although I love diesels! Mine has 278k miles on it. I am convinced, at least up here with all the salt, that the engine will outlast the body.

AltaLawnCare
02-17-2004, 12:56 PM
You can easily get more power and torque out of that diesel too.

;)

Beware of Dodge autos.

kelly Lawn
02-17-2004, 01:34 PM
Thanks for all the replies

sildoc
02-17-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by AltaLawnCare
You can easily get more power and torque out of that diesel too.

;)

Beware of Dodge autos.
Whats wrong with the dodge cummins ?
Just curious cause I can get a dodge cummins equiped the same as a ford powerstroke for 5 grand less. Please let me know before I purchase.

Bull
02-17-2004, 01:53 PM
You also need to consider that the resale value should be much better on a diesel. As for the Dodge Cummings, it's alot like the Chevy's, you need to have something to put the engine in when the truck wears out. As for the Ford, both truck and engine (Powerstroke) were designed for a long life.

upsondown
02-17-2004, 02:00 PM
Dodge and Chevy's have tranny issues that I'd never want to have to deal with.

Rook00
02-17-2004, 03:14 PM
The Cummins in the dodges are great engines and all of the brands are relatively the same, but it is the transmissions and other hardware issues you must consider. Chrysler has had problems with their transmissions in the past, but now, they're all a lot alike.

upsondown
02-17-2004, 05:23 PM
plus.......Dodge and Chevy have rear end problems..................... Ford = a real truck.