PDA

View Full Version : My my Co wants Walker / I want Exmark

lawnchopper
02-17-2004, 10:56 AM
I stopped by the shop yesterday and The Walker dealer just dropped 2 walker demo's :eek: I rode one and Im not impressed they seem slow and the steering is weird. There is a lever that controls your speed not the steering controls.
I see that they are compact which is a good advantage and their bagging system looks good.
We went over to the Exmark dealer who's in our backyard and the service and parts availability is better.
Im not crazy about these I would rather stick with Toro, Dane or Ex but my boss likes the versatility with the Walkers.
Whats everyones experiance and opinions of the Walkers?????

we currently have a GD SS, Toro z master and need to trade for equipment that can handle debris more effeciantly and be versitle.
We are keeping our SS for mowing and maybe buying a Billy Goat vac system for our truck
Just dont know?????? :confused:

LB Landscaping
02-17-2004, 11:24 AM
I run Walkers and love them. The steering and throttle are different but in less than a day you'll get used to it. The quality of cut is incredible, but it also depends on what you are cutting. They are slow on long/wet grass but do the job. Do a search there is a ton of info on Walkers on the site. You'll find on thing though, most either love them or hate them, not many in between.:D

Fareway Lawncare
02-17-2004, 11:32 AM
How exactly are they versatile. You have to change decks to go from bagging to mulching to discharging. I found Walkers to be a one trick pony & dumped them for eXmark hydro Walks a few years ago.

germann
02-17-2004, 11:51 AM
For bagging, you cant beat a walker.

dkeisala
02-17-2004, 12:21 PM
I purchased a 42" Walker last year w/ 20HP Kohler engine and GHS - yes they are they can be slow but rarely use it at full speed anyhow with the types of terrain we use it on and that is about the only drawback I can think of. I love our Walker and don't think I would use anything else.

Andyinchville
02-17-2004, 01:21 PM
Get the Exmark and leave your boss and
go into business for yourself and live happily ever after ;-) ......Actually I like
Ferris Zero turns even better but I only run Exmark Walk behinds

Andrew

turf9
02-17-2004, 02:43 PM
I also am very pleased with mine I rarly use it at top speed ,gets right in the corners.And it's like a vacume cleaner for fall cleans. two thumbs up from me for what it's worth

65hoss
02-17-2004, 03:38 PM
Let us think a second...his company, his money. Pretty simple to me. He gets what he wants.

GTLC
02-17-2004, 03:41 PM
hmmmm. I'd just wait till eXmark comes out with their new dedicated bagger. If you aren't that, I would go with a Toro Z350 dedicated bagger.

P&C Lawn Care
02-17-2004, 03:47 PM
I haven't owned a walker or an exmark but was at the Grasshopper dealer the other day contemplating a new mower (who also sells walker). With the walker you get an outfront deck (less trimming being able to get in close and under things), it is a very compact machine (Less room on the trailer and can manuver very well on small areas) and it is a very good machine for picking up clippings. However, it is not very versatile without changing the deck, it is made to pick up clippings or discharge, BUT NOT BOTH. The exmark looks like a good machine and it will be faster than the walker, but being a mid-mount it will not get in as close as a front deck, maybe causing one to have to spend the extra time trimming (depends on your mowing locations). It will be a more versatile mower. This is a biased opinion of both since I have not owned either one. This is the same topic that the mower salesman and I had about different mowers. Looks to me like a mix of both mowers would be very productive. On an additional note: How can walk behinds even be compared to Z's?

kels
02-17-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Fareway Lawncare
How exactly are they versatile. You have to change decks to go from bagging to mulching to discharging. I found Walkers to be a one trick pony & dumped them for eXmark hydro Walks a few years ago.

not trying to be an a$$, but if you have no need for a collection system why did you buy a walker in the first place?

bastalker
02-17-2004, 04:12 PM
I agree with what andy an hoss said. Start your own biz, an get what ever you want. If you are working for someone, be happy with what you get.

mowngrow
02-17-2004, 05:15 PM
i too will agree with hoss. go into biz 4 yourself.

J Hisch
02-17-2004, 06:46 PM
Why not Scag Cougar, Speed with durability. plus right now picj one up for about 7800.00

Hawkeye5
02-17-2004, 07:08 PM
Hoss has it right (as usual). The master makes the rules for the wise men and the fools. (Bob Zimmerman, AKA Bob Dylan, Its Allright Ma, (it's life and life only) somewhere around 1966). If you don't like the situation, catch the next train out of town. I'm old enough and been through enough to know the truth of this statement.

Kelly's Landscaping
02-17-2004, 08:29 PM
Dose walker offer a bagging system where you can lift the barrels up and put them on your truck to dump them or are they all that bin design that you need to dump some place then pick up the mess? If that is the case I can not see how they are versatility nor how they are better for bagging they may do a better job but if it is costing me more time to empty the clippings I cant see how that is practical unless you have a lot of dump on site lawns with their own compost piles.

I have been very satisfied with my 60-inch lazer with the trac vac system and the 44 gal pale holds a lot and the 6 hp kholer has 1800 cfms. I like is so much this coming year if I do go with a 72-inch diesel lazer I'm thinking of the dual 44 gal pales. Be able to bag about a full acre of 6-inch tall grass before I need to dump that. Plus that mower has 12 mile per hour top speed I am not certain of the walker but if its less then the standard 10 mile per hour lazers then she is slow and time is money.

PRO PROPERTY CARE
02-18-2004, 09:27 AM
When I started out I looked at all mowers. I was torn between the walkers and exmarks .

The walkers are very good at fall cleanups. I have talked to others and they agree. But the exmark has much more too offer. Quick change from side discharge to bagging. Faster. More reliable. I was also told that walkers can be a high maint. machine.
The walkers do cut very nice, but so does the exmark.
The walker you have too back up into the trailer too dump, or like one guy does here, dump the grass at the side of the road and another crew comes buy and sucks it up with a debris loader.
With my exmark, I dump the grass in my dump box on the truck and dump it at the compost site. No hand unloading for me.
The walkers seemed much more labour intensive, and time consumeing. The exmarks( and other brands like it) seemed too have many more pros than cons.

just my canadian 2 cents, so in american it aint worth crap.:cool:

Royalslover
02-19-2004, 02:25 AM
As a Walker owner the decision is simple. If you're bagging it's far and away the best mower out there. If you're not it's one of the worst mowers made.

Avery
02-19-2004, 10:33 AM
Get him to demo a Toro 355. Bags and cuts just as good as a Walker, costs less, easy to switch from bagging to mulching, ground speed is twice as fast, much more durable.

LB Landscaping
02-19-2004, 11:56 AM
Avery I checked them out before I bought my Walker. My Walker was $1100 less than the Toro. Paid $8400 for my Walker, for Toro it was around $9500.

Avery
02-19-2004, 11:18 PM
Mmmm....Walker's are more here. You got a decent deal. But I would go with the Toro even if it was $2000 more than the Walker. :)

MOW ED
02-20-2004, 06:52 AM
Your question is;
Whats everyones experience and opinions of the Walkers?????

My experience has been very good with the Walker. Thats my opinion.
Every mower has its good and bad points. If your company owner finds that your operation will use Walkers then you will have to decide how you want to proceed.
I have a use for one in my company but I also can have a use for a Lazer. Economics dictate that I be responsible in my purchases. I don't have the business nor the trailer space to have one of each right now.

Some owners have had good luck with the Walkers and others have not. I am being honest in saying that if you don't like it, you should look to another company that doesn't use them but I think anyone can get to know how to operate a Walker.
Just my opinion. Good Luck.

lawnchopper
02-20-2004, 10:00 AM
basically the choice is up to me since I run the mowing crew as long as its within the buget. I take it most guys here believe that Walkers are great for bagging but as far as a production ie: cover lots of ground fast ....their not the best???.

We have a Exmark dealer in our backyard and I like their service policy and parts availiblity. If you break down they will get the part the next day and you can you their demo.
I dont want to forget about Toro but our Toro dealer in town isnt very stable now so were concerned about service
We are also looking at John Deere

dkeisala
02-20-2004, 10:38 AM
I, like many around here, have read these posts extensively. I've never really heard anything terribly negative about Walker or Exmark. What I have heard is that for those of us that need bagging capability and versatility but not warp speed, the Walker is perfectly suited to our needs. Exmarks mowers get a lot of attention on this this site and people seem to love them. Neither brand seems to get any downright negative opinions, always something minor, more annoyances than anything else.

If your Exmark dealer is a stones throw away and you are really more concerned with performance over bagging, I would say the boss and you would be crazy to go with anything but. And I have a Walker :)

Soupy
02-20-2004, 10:44 AM
I don't want to sound rude, but you also have a thread complaining about uniforms. I would agree with Hoss, and be happy you have a job or start your own business.

If your boss does want your imput then give it to him and leave it at that.