PDA

View Full Version : sweepers?

dylan
02-17-2004, 04:32 PM
Does anyone have any experience with sweepers? I'm thinking of using one for parking lots, dethatching, spring and fall cleanups, etc. Probably put it on my tractor but not sure to get a three point hitch model or a bucket model.

http://www.niagaramachine.com/HTML/sweepex.html

dylan
02-17-2004, 04:33 PM
Truck mounted unit.

dylan
02-17-2004, 04:39 PM
Three point hitch model. Can be used to push or pull.

dylan
02-17-2004, 04:42 PM
Truck mounted unit again.

Lombardi
02-17-2004, 05:22 PM
Would this be used for large commercial properties or residential or both? It looks like these units would be too large for most residentials since you attach them to trucks and tractors.
I use a pull behind yard sweeper made by Yardman. I pull it behind my quad and have had no problems with it yet.

dylan
02-17-2004, 09:00 PM
Mostly commercial. Apartment complexes and such. For cleaning up the parking lots and mess from the melting snow banks on the lawn. The odd residential if they are big enough.

Fareway Lawncare
02-17-2004, 10:31 PM
I'll be using a JRCO model this spring primarily on turf.

Here's a Snowman.

& here's the JRCO http://www.jrcoinc.com/sweeper.html

cantoo
02-17-2004, 11:49 PM
dylan, I do quite a bit of sweeping for gravel off lawns. I use a JD that I mounted a 5' sweepster sweeper to the front. I also have a Sweepster WBH for small areas. I used to have one mounted on a Ransomes too but sold the drive unit.
Last year I tried a couple of different collector models but wasn't real happy with the design yet. This is the company that makes them. They make good 3 point hitch and skid steer ones too.
http://www.buyersguideontario.com/ad.asp?KeyID=11661

cantoo
02-17-2004, 11:56 PM
Fareway, what's the jrco worth?

dylan
02-18-2004, 10:59 AM
Thanks Cantoo. I'll call my dealer and get a price on one unless you know offhand what they are worth. I'm familiar with Smith welding because they made the inverse snow blower for my tractor. I figure the rotary broom does better than the push broom but ... do the push brooms work?

The JRCO looks to be a bit lighter unit. The 6' unit I was looking at weighted over 300lbs. It has 11 rows of bristles. Cost $975. How does the JRCO measure up.

cantoo
02-18-2004, 09:53 PM
dylan, I'm not sure on the pricing of those types new. I bought their pull behind self powered unit that collects. It was around $2800 with the Honda engine and electric lift and dump options. It did work it just had a few bugs that I didn't have time to work out due to the short season. The other thing was it was just too big to fit on my trailer at the time.
It's Smyth Welding and you can buy direct and save some money. Their main business is snow blowers. I know they sell lots of the skid steer and 3 point hitch models to rental stores.

FERT-TEK
02-19-2004, 12:23 AM
Dylan, you suggested using them on a lawn for dethatching. How will you use it for that to do the dethatching or to clean up after it has been done? If anyone else has use one for this please share your thoughts.

Fareway Lawncare
02-19-2004, 01:06 AM
For dethatch you need a rotary broom.

Cantoo, you can get CND. pricing @ Rittenhouse for JRCO.

dylan
02-19-2004, 10:52 AM
I say dethatching but is more of a spring cleanup or raking. All the dead grass, fallen leaves, gravel, sand, trash and stuff. Sweep it off the lawn and load it into the truck. For dethatching we used rotary brooms or actual dethatchers with flails.

I used to RAKE the lawn when I was young and full of energy.

Then I used a Jrco tine rake to "fluff" and then bag it with the mower. Sthil power broom for the rocks and blowers for the leaves.

Used a rotary sweeper (hydro exmark with RAD broom) last year but it got up too much and was slow to operater. On a side note: I bidded an apartment complex with 2" of snow cover at the time. Well, when spring rolled around and I rotary broomed it, the WHOLE lawn came off. Peeled up like a throw rug. White grubs absolutely everywhere. Turns out, they did not spray last year and the lawn was toast.

This year, hope to use the JRCO on small areas and the push broom on larger ones. Will see how it works out. I don't think the push type broom will be aggressive enough to actually remove alot of stuff but I'm just looking to clean it up.

Priced a 3ph 8' rotary broom for my tractor at the landscape trade show yesterday in Ottawa. $8000.
Just called Smyth welding and for a 6' ploy/metal rotary broom it is $3449. 3ph and hydraulic angle. They also have a collection type rotary broom that can be used for lawns but not pavement; 5' for $3465.

dylan
02-19-2004, 11:03 AM
Hm interesting. A 5' JRCO push broom for $889. It only has 3 rows and 8" bristles. Includes mounting bar. $795 without.

The heavy brooms I was looking at are $975 with 11 rows and 12" bristles. Seems like a lot more broom for a few hundred more dollars.

On a side note www.smythwelding.com will be up on the web in a few months.

cantoo
04-12-2004, 11:48 PM
dylan, I'm not sure if you got a brush or not. I bought one of the push brooms and mounted it to the front of a steiner 4x4. It will not do much to the lawn, it just bull dozes over everything. I use my rotary broom to move everything to one side then the steiner to plow it to the trailer. It does move gravel off pavement but not off grass. I plan on using it on my ball diamond infields this spring to try and strip the the gravel. Smyth's brushes are being used all over the place right now. They are about the best ones out there for sweeping and collecting gravel and sand. I'm going to have to buy another one because customers are requesting I use one.

Mikes Machines
04-28-2004, 11:14 PM
Steiner makes a rotary broom that attaches to the front of their tractors. It has adjustable guide wheels that allow you to just skim the surface below or scrub it very hard. A buddy of mine uses one to brush snow off of sidewalks at a shopping mall. The side walks are textured and you cant use a blade on them.