PDA

View Full Version : good 21 inch mower

tree
02-17-2004, 08:42 PM
what is a good 21 inch mower that will last . we can not even get one year of use out of a little mower . by the end of the year they are falling apart and have been in the shop many time . have tried husquvarna , cub , toro ,

locutus
02-17-2004, 09:42 PM
Listen Tree, You have to spend money to get a good mower. Look at it like this, how much money have you spent on crap-ola mowers so far? I bet if you could have all that money back, you could have purchased a decent mower right? If I were going to purchase a 21" mower I would buy an Exmark. Strong engines, aluminum deck, high blade tip speed.

Why do you want a 21" anyway? If you are mowing commercially, the smallest mower you are likely to need is a 36". Lots more productive, plus it can pull a velkie.

tree
02-17-2004, 10:10 PM
we have 2 48 inch bobcats , but we have some smaller places that you must use a small push mower

MudslinginFX4
02-17-2004, 10:14 PM
Buy a honda push mower, they are expensive but seem to out last everything else.

Mlc gmc03
02-17-2004, 10:17 PM
toro proline 21" cant get to much better than that we love ours

sal
02-17-2004, 10:29 PM
Cameron, how do you like the Honda mowers, I,m thinking about buying some but I would like to hear some feedback on how they run..... I've been using the J.D. mowers that have that nice Deere price, but never seem to run like a deer?

MudslinginFX4
02-17-2004, 10:34 PM
Sal, I would def. recommend Honda mowers. Like I said above, they are a little pricey but IMO are worth the money. I have never had any problems with them at all. Are you talking about push mowers (21in) or walk behind mowers? I have 2 of each and love both but from what I hear Honda is not making the larger units anymore, just the push mowers. I think they have a great cut and are very sturdy machines.

Danimal
02-18-2004, 09:18 AM
I love honda pushmowers they seemed to have it all figured out. A freind of mine I used to work for has had the same mower for six years. I think to many people don't do maintenance on their push mowers remember their airfilters and oil needs to be changed just as our bigger mowers do.

kels
02-18-2004, 09:39 AM
try to find yourself a toro proline with the 2 stroke suzuki and you will not have to change the oil like Danimal mentioned.

Lux Lawn
02-18-2004, 01:23 PM
We use lawnboys when we need a 21 mower.

lonnie
02-18-2004, 03:31 PM
21" proline, you will almost never have to bag again. Get one with a suzuki engine if you can find one.

G&S LANDSCAPING
02-18-2004, 03:32 PM
Toro proline with 2-cycle engine---PRICELESS!!!!!!

Tommy D
02-18-2004, 09:08 PM
Go with th e Toro proline remember their is a difference between price and cost ie... you will pay a higher price for a proline but the overall cost will be much less in the long run. As you already know you could buy a regular residential mower (as you have in the past) at a lower price and find that the cost is much higher in the long run. Like locutus said you have to spend some money to get a good mower and another thing pm your equipment on a regular schedual, clean filters and clean oil are the least expensive and most cost efective way to keep your equipment in top condition

iluvbermuda
02-18-2004, 09:22 PM
If you get the Toro, does it come as a hydro? Also, if you like the Hondas, would you spend the extra$$$ for a hydro or just get the belt drive??

mikefromny
09-10-2006, 09:15 PM
1980s 2 cycle lawnboys , nuff said:laugh:

jazak
09-10-2006, 09:18 PM
Hondas are real nice; good units. :clapping: :clapping:

Grimmy
09-11-2006, 10:19 AM
Snapper, bit pricey, however for the money, it was well worth it for me.
I bought one off of ebay several years ago. 19" push mower 3.5 hp for $50.
Still mowing.
I invested in 2 additional ones, last year. One push, and one self propelled bagger for my customers with smaller yards. Excellent mowers for me. Rugged mowers that can withstand a lot of abuse.

South Florida Lawns
09-11-2006, 01:48 PM
craftsman is good.

so is anything off the shelf at Lowe's or Home Depot.

Tharrell
09-11-2006, 04:18 PM
What exactly is tearing up on your push mowers? Is it the same thing on all of them like wheels? Or is it engine related?
I have a Snapper hi vac bagger self propelled but, it won't see much use except for my doglot! It's a good mower but, I have a couple of Bob-Cats for the real work. I do have a couple of very small areas at a couple of accounts I'll use the Snapper. The bagger makes the turf look really good. I really like the drive system on the Snappers. I'd like to adapt it to a wheeled blower and maybe a fert spreader if I can find some used ones.

metro36
09-11-2006, 05:29 PM
This might help you out. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=156652
I like a toro super recycler as I said in this thread listed above.