PDA

View Full Version : Gear or Hydro Walkbehind

Mr DanO
02-17-2004, 09:47 PM
I am just starting to look into buying my first mower and was wondering what I would be better off starting with. A gear drive or hydro? I like the idea of a floating deck over a fixed one. Also has anybody been using the Honda 4 stroke trimmers, if so how are they?

locutus
02-17-2004, 10:03 PM
Dano, If you can afford it, go with a hydro. You wont regret it. Belt drives have their place, I know because I have one. They are easier on the budget, but harder on the body. To turn a belt drive without divoting the turf you kind of have to learn to fake a zero turn by nuetral locking one side of the mower and pulling backward on that side, while letting the other side power around. I know this sounds a little complicated, but with practice can be easily mastered.

Mr DanO
02-21-2004, 08:25 AM
Thanks , I was looking at the hydro's from differant dealers then the toro dealer told me I should go with the belt drive. He said it would do a better job, and just as ez to run. Where all the others said to go with the hydro.

Royalslover
02-23-2004, 01:07 AM
The only salesman who would try to sell you a belt drive either a. has never mowed or b. has some stock he desperatly needs to get rid of. Even if you can't afford a hydro find a way to get one anyway. They can be mastered but anyone who says they are as easy as hydros has something to sell.

Wesley's Lawn
02-23-2004, 03:06 AM
Get the hydro if you can afford it, belts suck.

amw
02-23-2004, 08:46 AM
maybe the dealer has a better profit margin in the belt drive?

I use hydros myself, and the only belt drive ive had i hated! in the mornings it would slip allot....

but i know a few other guys that haven't really had to many probs. with them...

but i would go for the hydro!

metro-hp_48
02-23-2004, 08:55 AM
In the last belt vs. hydro thread (the one a few weeks ago, not the other day) if I remember right, no eXmark belt drives had any slipping belts from wet conditions. (incase someone can only afford a belt drive, and thinks there would be such a prob. in that area)
Hyrdos are nice.

kels
02-23-2004, 09:16 AM
no eXmark belt drives had any slipping belts from wet conditions
i must have had the only metro that slipped:rolleyes:

metro-hp_48
02-23-2004, 09:20 AM
I guess so. Was surprised, in a way, more didn't. After all the other's didn't though, now I'm surprized your's did.

KathysLGC
02-23-2004, 09:24 AM
I went from a belt to hydro and whoa..... Hydro is so much more productive. Now i have never used a gear drive so i can't compare a hydro to that but there is no comparison from a belt to a hydro.

65hoss
02-23-2004, 10:03 AM
I don't have a slip problem with my belt. I'm in the same area as Kels. I think it was more in the setup configuration.
I like belts and I have both. The belts are easy on the expenses and good profitable machines. There is a place for hydros, but 36" for me doesn't get used except for gated areas. The hydro's are Z's.

kels
02-23-2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by 65hoss
I don't have a slip problem with my belt. I'm in the same area as Kels. I think it was more in the setup configuration.
I like belts and I have both. The belts are easy on the expenses and good profitable machines. There is a place for hydros, but 36" for me doesn't get used except for gated areas. The hydro's are Z's.

set up was not the problem, moved springs up for full tension on belts, pullies always clean.

lets clarify, the statement was "in wet conditions" in dry conditions my belts did not slip in wet conditions my belts slipped.

lawnranger44
02-23-2004, 12:23 PM
We have a belt drive and it definietely has met our needs. Then again I've never used a hydro... Our belts would slip only if we were a little careless with greasing and some excess grease would get on the belts and needless to say they would slip.