PDA

View Full Version : What to plant?

Lawnguy2005
02-17-2004, 11:21 PM
What would be the best type of plant to go down a property line? It would need to be an evergreen and grow probably 10 to 12 feet tall and fill in to make a wall so the other property couldn't be seen. It would also be great if the plant was a fast grower.

heritage
02-17-2004, 11:40 PM
lawnguy 2005,

Thuja orientalis Oriental arborvitae cultivar 'Fruitlandii'
Hardiness zone 5-11 18-25' high rich deep green foliage
Do not plant where ground is extremely wet. Growth rate slow to medium.

Pete D.

NCSULandscaper
02-17-2004, 11:49 PM
Some people dont like them, but i have yet to have a problem with leyland cypress. Italian cypress is another good variety that has less disease and insect problems. Certain types of arborvitae should work fine, Cleyera is a somewhat substitute for the old Red Tip Photinia shrubs. Depending where you are located Yews would do fine. Fortunes Tea Olives are a very nice plant for hedge rows, very fragrant, Southern Wax Myrtle would be another rapid growth hedge shrub. Nellie R. Stevens Holly, Fruitland Eleagnus, larger growing camelias. Just a few ideas.

Coffeecraver
02-20-2004, 06:38 AM
Nellie R. Stevens Holly , mixed with Cryptomeria japonica.
would be great choices.

KenH
02-20-2004, 11:29 AM
Also look into some upright Junipers if deer seem to be a problem.

AGLA
02-20-2004, 11:55 PM
This reminds me of a meeting I had with a woman from Manhattan at her summer house on Cape Cod. She was like a stereotype Seinfeld character.

She looked at me. Then she pointed and said "you're a landscape architect, what plant goes here?". Then her husband chimes in with "why can't we just have grass?". All done with that classic NY accent and attitude.

The point is that the world is full of variables.

launboy
02-21-2004, 12:27 AM
try something called a "BuckThorn"
pretty good for wall to block out the neighbors
grows tall and looks good however they will lose their leaves but underneath all that is tightly woven branches
i used them once and the client liked them

Avery
02-21-2004, 01:10 AM
Any species of eleagnus will do what you are looking for. Leylands will get too tall and if you lose a mature one you will have a huge gap in the hedge. Eleagnus can be kept pruned to the desired height.