PDA

View Full Version : exmark xp or grasshopper 428d

General Grounds
02-17-2004, 10:44 PM
:blob3: heys guys im in the market for a new mower and im goin diesel, i was wondering for you guys who have the exmark xp or the grasshopper to what your likes or dislikes are. to be honest im leaning toward the grasshopper because they've been building these mowers for years and have heard great things, i also have great dealer support. thanks tony

floridalawncare
02-18-2004, 08:56 AM
428d man. this one is easy actually. exmarks are goog machines, but the kubota diesel still has unmatched reliability. another thing here on the hopper is what i like about them more than most others. the fuel tank location is much better, and the drive location. the complaint here is the sissy wheel bearings on the hopper. i'd put about two sets a year in the one i had. it had the new style bearings too which were supposed to better. if you get the 61" or 72", you should be in real goos condition. i've actually got more than 900 hours on grasshopper belts on thei mid-mounts. if you get the 52" you'll have spindle trouble. grasshopper started speeding up the blades on their 52" duramax decks, which would wear down the spindle bearings quickly. you can look at the center spindle pulley on the 52 and compare it to the 60 or 72, and you'll see the difference. but if you want an higher blade speed than the ultra cut or dixie, put the pulley from the 52 on the 61. you can hear the difference!

General Grounds
02-19-2004, 08:16 PM
:blob3: thanks floridalawncare, i think im gonna go with the 60' hopper a great friend of mine has the exmark xp and has had many little problem with the machine. i demoed the 428 and it was great, but most of my ztrs are exmark and wanted to be brand loyal, but that may not happen. tony

Mowingman
02-19-2004, 10:43 PM
I have a 428D. It is built like a tank, handles well, and cuts great. I have nearly 800hrs on mine also. I looked at, and demoed an Exmark, 72" diesel. It was a pretty sorry machine compared to the Grasshopper 428D. Exmark builds great machines, but their diesel, 72" is not one of them. Go with the Grasshopper.
:)

John Gamba
02-20-2004, 06:56 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by General Grounds
[B]:blob3: thanks floridalawncare, i think im gonna go with the 60' hopper a great friend of mine has the exmark xp and has had many little problem with the machine. i demoed the 428 and it was great, but most of my ztrs are exmark and wanted to be brand loyal, but that may not happen. tony

Tony
Get the hopper, The XP does have its problems. The kobota Is a GREAT engine.

General Grounds
02-20-2004, 07:11 PM
:blob3: thanks for the endorsement john, i know you bleed exmark red, i oredered the 428d today with the kubota. a little food for thought i demoed the ferris I5000 and that was a fantastic machine, but they tell me it is only offered in a 72", im a cat man and that engine was great, mower also cut and handled very well. im pleased with my choice i really liked it when i demoed it. thanks you guys, tony