PDA

View Full Version : dethatching question on the ZTR mounted models

Kelly's Landscaping
02-17-2004, 11:58 PM
Iím considering getting a dethatcher that you can mount on the front of a ZTR and the sales guy sales it works very well and for $500 it is a nice price compared to a real dethatcher my question is since iv only used the powered kind what can I expect for results? I use a power broom some times on the lawns and it does a nice job but I know it is not as through as real dethatching that I have done in the past and it tends to kick the hell out of you so the ZTR mount looks good from that stand point of I really donít want to fight with the broom for 200 plus clean ups this spring.

Jason Rose
02-18-2004, 12:47 AM
I really like mine, jrco 48" model i believe. takes a few trys to get the height set correctly so the tines "kick" and not just drag on the ground. I really think it works well, i try to go up one dorection, turn around and come back down the same trak i just made. basically twice over in opposing directions. Most good thick lawns I can get a FULL dump bed load on one lawn! I know walkbehind powerrakes with a flail head is more through tho.

Another good factor is that there's no walking! but you have to dump the catcher like every minute or two, and that's a 8 bushell catcher on a rider. hate to think about a w/b with a smaller one!

STAN1366
02-18-2004, 01:10 AM
I used a JRCO unit last year on my w/b and thought it did well. This year I'm putting it on the Lazer w/ the Ultra vac. Think it'll make cleanups much easier.

TreffertLawnWrx
02-18-2004, 11:03 AM
I use a 52 lazer z hp with ultra-vac and a jrco dethatcher and it works awesome! never had a problem until you start pulling out the wrong pins and cant remember where they go! LOL

scott's turf
02-18-2004, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by TreffertLawnWrx
I use a 52 lazer z hp with ultra-vac and a jrco dethatcher and it works awesome! never had a problem until you start pulling out the wrong pins and cant remember where they go! LOL

same model here too. IMO these units do the equivalent of a light raking. I do not chage my customers a detatching price when using these. When we dethatch we use a wb dethatcher and suck up the thatch with the ultr vac or blow it.

Dan the mowing man
02-18-2004, 01:43 PM
Where can those dethachers be purchased . It sounds like a nice set up .

STAN1366
02-18-2004, 02:18 PM
http://www.jrcoinc.com/whyjrco.html

Here's their web address. You should be able to find a local dealer to get one or maybe pick up a good used one.

gogetter
02-18-2004, 02:26 PM
There's a guy selling them on eBay at a really good price! The mounting bar is included in his price!