PDA

View Full Version : advertising

straightlinelawns
02-18-2004, 01:04 AM
I've been in the green business for two years now, and this is my first year really advertising as far as flyers and business cards on mail obxes. I live in an area with a lot of homes and a pretty high income. there is plenty of work to go round and plenty of compitition. The problem i have is when I started to put out flyers and business cards on mailboxes, every where i went the same flyer was already there!! what should i do? place mine next to his? wait a couple of days? or go to a neighborhood that he hasn't hit yet? it is still early in the season and things haven't started growing yet. maybe I should wait until the season is closer to starting before putting more out?? any help would be great!!

sproutlscape
02-18-2004, 09:42 AM
Remember most new customers get 2 to 3 bids. Show this area that you mean business. If the area has great promise offer (1) free mowing @ the end of the season. And don't forget to have them sign a contract. Good Luck

mow2nd
02-19-2004, 12:24 AM
NEVER WORK FOR FREE, NEVER DO A FREE MOWING, NEVER NEVER NEVER

DONT EVEN DO FREE ESTIMATES

zima
02-19-2004, 08:23 PM
just leave your cards or flyers there make sure you have a good design and quality, they will speak for you ,i see yow on the road i'm here in marietta this will be my 2nd year too, just stay away from legacy park or brookstone and i will wave at you,just kidding there is plenty of green cake,no work for free,yes free estimates good luck to you.

precisioncut
02-19-2004, 11:02 PM
I CHARGE $100 PER ESTIMATE-Isn't that what you charge mow2nd? Give Free Estimates buddy. I offer Free promotions from time to time. But I don't make a million like mow2nd.

mow2nd
02-20-2004, 12:42 AM
Nope, but good guess............hey, lets all just work for FREE!!!

topher924
02-20-2004, 12:45 AM
ARE YOU KIDDING ME NO FREE ESTIMATES

mow2nd
02-20-2004, 12:55 AM
ok, what do you do when somebody calls you from your flyer? You go look at the yard.....right? Next time you get a call, tell the customer when you can be there. If you would like a true estimate let me cut your grass, I'll only charge you a one-time fee of $30. This will give me a better idea of your lawn, it will also give you the opportunity as a customer to see how good of work I do. They agree, go cut the grass, do a good job, collect your money, customer likes, and everybody happy. Of course while you are cutting the yard you are thinking what you would charge on a regular basis...................NO MORE FREE ESTIMATEs

What do you think???

topher924
02-20-2004, 01:01 AM
I SEE WHERE YOU ARE COMING FROM NOW. AND ACTUALLY I LIKE THAT APPROACH I THINK I WILL GIVE IT A GO!

mow2nd
02-20-2004, 01:03 AM
I might learn you guys something after all...........Please stop doing things for FREE

grasssin
02-21-2004, 05:03 AM
mow 2nd
I really like your idea of estimating, really makes sense to both parties (you and customer) Although you will hate this idea since this is my second season mowing and 1st season partly full time (as much as I can do when I am not in class) I decided to go with a yellow pages ad that gives a 5th cut free. My reasoning behind this was: I am new to the phone book and the area is very saturated with lcos. I am trying to get as large a client base as I can in as short a time as possible. I have already tried everything I could think of direct mailers, doorhangers, flyers in mailboxes and got maybe 20 total calls from them last year. To me it is worth it if it works, and am willing to sacrifice that 5th cut for a large customer base. Reading your comments on other posts I know you are against this but to get the 5th cut you have to sign a year contract. I dont have time to sit around and wait for my base to grow over the years..........

Straightline:
I ran into this same problem last year when I was passing out flyers, but instead of one I would find up to three different ones in mailboxes before I got there. The best thing I did was talk to local realty companies, focusing more on the smaller ones because they usually dont have a maintance staff that does their lawn care. I did about $2500 worth of work for this lady's realty company and from that I met most of my customers who heard about my work. As I just told Mow2nd starting out you have to have something that stands out from your competition to get clients. How can your work quality get you new customers when you dont have any customers to start with? I offered a 5th cut free (The 5th cut, not every 5th cut) when the customer signs a year contract with me. Coupons would be a good idea to attach to your flyer, or you could look at the yard and write your bid price on it allowing the customer to decide if they like your price(mowing, blowing, edging and trimming).

Hope that helps a little bit.........

Meadowbrook
02-26-2004, 04:39 PM
Mow2nd, are you crazy? What do you mean no free estimates? The only estimates I charge for are design/ build projects. Mowing is a no-brainer and uses up next to no time.....OK want an example? Here you go....A customer walks out to his/her mailbox one day and sees my flier there with a line that says FREE ESTIMATES on it. They give me a call and I go out, I give them a professional estimate on paper, and it's all free of charge to them (a good thing). The next day your flier is on their box, and they think, hey, maybe this guy will do it cheaper they decide that the'll give you a call for an estimate, they call you, you tell them that it will be $25 or whatever just for you to come out and look at their yard without even performing any REAL work, I'm pretty sure that everyone on this site knows what would happen next --CLICK!-- Just my 2 cents

Chris

environment
02-26-2004, 10:31 PM
never sell a price, talk to them, let them meet you and sell your companies work, show them photos, let them meet the man behind the mower

mow2nd
02-26-2004, 10:44 PM
I think bottom line is that everybody on here does whatever works for them. I may not agree on what some people do, but if it works for you then I wish them all the more success.

I think this site needs to learn RESPECT. Some have it, many don't................my 2 cents

Meadowbrook
02-27-2004, 12:26 AM
If some have it and many don't (I'm sure that you're referring to me), why do you stick around? I have respect, but it just kinda shocked me to see you telling people never to give out a free estimate, because it's 'bad' for business....But really what is bad for business is never cutting a customer (or potential customer) a break on something. You're conveying the message that every contractor should be a gold-digger and get as much out of a customer as they possibly can, and most people aren't like that, I charge fair prices as do many of the people I know and many more that I haven't met. $0.02

Chris

mow2nd
02-27-2004, 12:56 AM
Not sure you read what I wrote.

I think bottom line is that everybody on here does whatever works for them. I may not agree on what some people do, but if it works for you then I wish them all the more success.